- Corporate and Business Organizations
- Financial Institutions
- University of Kentucky College of Law, J.D., 2000, cum laude
Kentucky Law Journal, associate editor, 1999-2000
- Centre College, B.A., 1997
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Jason is a partner in the Cincinnati office of Vorys where he practices corporate and business law, representing companies in a broad range of sizes and industries. He has worked with start-ups, large publicly traded companies and those in-between, and has considerable experience in corporate and business law, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, banking and securities.
Jason’s work with his clients spans from entity selection and formation to exit strategies and acquisitions. He regularly advises clients on purchases and sales of businesses, equity investments and offerings, strategic alternatives and general contract and business matters. He advises public company clients on their disclosure and reporting under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and on corporate governance matters, and frequently works with financial institutions on regulatory compliance, securities matters, capital raising and acquisitions.
His recent highlights include:
- Representing a New York based private equity fund in numerous multi-million dollar portfolio company acquisitions across the country
- Representing a Swiss company in its multi-million dollar acquisition of a U.S. company
- Representing R.G. Barry Corporation in its over $200 million sale to Mill Road Capital
- Representing a savings and loan holding company in its acquisition for approximately $50 million in cash and stock
- Representing a bank holding company in its acquisition for over $40 million in cash and stock
- Representing a mutual savings association in multiple merger acquisitions
- Advising various private equity investors and individuals in differing forms of investments, acquisitions and dispositions
- Representing small and privately-owned businesses in transactions of varying size
- Representing a bondholder group in a $22 million asset purchase transaction
- Representing a marine engine manufacturer in a $30 million asset sale transaction
- Counseling both early-stage and established companies in securities offerings and private equity investments
- Serving as underwriter's counsel in multiple financial institution mutual to stock conversions and the related initial public offerings
- Advising various financial institutions and their holding companies in multimillion dollar acquisition transactions
- Representing a savings and loan holding company in a multi-million dollar Regulation D private offering
- Serving as underwriter’s counsel in a $10 million rights offering and subsequent public offering by a bank holding company
- Serving as underwriter's counsel in various financial institution mergers and securities offerings
- Representing investors in the acquisition of control and formation of a financial institutions
- Advising publicly traded companies on securities law compliance and reporting, including various corporate governance and activist shareholders matters, contested proxy solicitations and private placements of securities
Jason is licensed to practice in both Ohio and Kentucky, and is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Kentucky Bar Association and the Cincinnati Bar Association.
Jason received his J.D. cum laude from the University of Kentucky College of Law, where he was an associate editor for the Kentucky Law Journal. He received his B.A. from Centre College.
Professional and Community Activities
- Urban Appalachian Council, Trustee, 2006-2014 and Treasurer, 2008-2014
- Cincinnati Bar Association Corporate Counsel Committee, Secretary, 2005-2012
- Maketewah Country Club, Director, 2009-2013
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Business/Corporate, 2009-2011
- 9/5/2014Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP recently advised R.G. Barry Corporation in its sale to MRGB Hold Co., an affiliate of Mill Road Capital.
- 9/24/2019Vorys Attorneys Kim Schaefer and Jason Hodges spoke at the 2019 BKD Financial Services Symposium on September 24, 2019.
- 9/11/2019The Vorys benefits team hosted the inaugural Vorys Benefits Conferences in Cincinnati on September 11, 2019 and in Columbus on October 16, 2019. These conferences were designed and developed specifically for in-house benefits professionals.