Jana is a partner in the Vorys Pittsburgh office and a member of the labor and employment group. She assists clients from a wide range of industries establish policies, procedures and documentation regarding Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), employee discipline, Title VII, the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), human resources best practices and business-related best practices. In the event that an employment or other civil matter does end up in the courtroom, Jana is an experienced litigator in the state and federal courts of Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
Jana has worked with clients from numerous industries including health care, construction, manufacturing, municipal and hospitality.
Jana is also the solicitor for Washington County and represents and counsels the county on numerous issues including regional development, contract negotiation, risk assessment and management, oversight of claims and special litigation, and oversight of other legal professionals employed by the county. In addition, she has worked with, counseled, and represented local municipalities in regard to zoning, litigation, governmental and other administrative matters. She has also represented numerous individuals and entities before local zoning and municipal boards.
Career highlights include:
- Representing employers in union representation elections; unfair labor practice charges, collective bargaining negotiations; employee grievance arbitrations; age, sex, and race discrimination claims before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission; alleged violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act; counseling in employment-related matters including the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, reductions in force, hiring and terminations, handbooks and policies; unemployment and harassment litigation; and conducts workforce and supervisor training in employment-related matters.
- Representing Washington County on a variety of legal issues including claims and special litigation, negotiation of contracts, risk assessment and management, regional development and oversight of legal professionals employed by the county.
- Representing local municipalities in all issues impacting their community including representation before the local courts and governmental boards. Drafted ordinances, policies and procedures and counseled on a wide variety of issues for both boroughs and townships.
- Representing commercial developers in all aspects of land development including providing representation before local planning, zoning and supervisory boards.
- Counseling clients regarding corporate matters including entity formation, buy-sell and operating agreements, and purchase and acquisition matters.
- Representing corporate clients in all aspects of civil litigation.
- Represent clients in real estate transactions including leasing, the acquiring and sale of real estate, title issues, boundary disputes, easements and rights-of-way.
- Representing construction client in collection matters pursuant to the Pennsylvania Contractor and Subcontractor Payment Act, bond claims and mechanic's lien proceedings.
Jana has presented on myriad of labor and employment related topics including: COVID-19 and its impact on employers, medical marijuana, employee handbooks, supervisor training, the FLSA, wage and hour laws, and sexual harassment policies.
Jana is a member of the Washington County Bar Association, the Allegheny County Bar Association, the Pennsylvania Bar Association and the West Virginia Bar Association.
Jana received her J.D. from the University of Pittsburgh and her B.A. from Thiel College.
Professional & Community Activities
Chair, Board of Trustees, Washington Health System Foundation and Chair, Planned Giving Committee Former Director, Board of Directors, Southwest Communities Chamber of Commerce
ACG Pittsburgh Women's Executive Board
Advisory Board, Dress for Success, Washington County, PA Branch
Ambassador, Power of Southpointe, Washington County Chamber of Commerce
Past President, Board of Directors, Leadership Washington County
Chair, Shoot for a Cause, Collier Sportsmen's Association
News & Insights
University of Pittsburgh, J.D.
Thiel College, B.A.
Bar & Court Admissions
- West Virginia
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.