- West Virginia University, B.A., 2001
Former Ohio State Senator Lou Gentile (D) is a principal for Vorys Advisors LLC, a wholly owned affiliate of the law firm, Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP. He focuses his work providing business and strategic counsel to businesses and organizations throughout Ohio.
Lou’s passion for public service brought him to the Ohio House of Representatives in 2010. In 2011, he was appointed to fill the vacancy in Ohio’s 30th Senate District. He was elected by the district’s voters to a full term in 2012. In January of 2014, his colleagues recognized his leadership and elected Lou to serve as assistant minority whip of the senate. He was also the ranking Democrat on the Energy and Natural Resources Committee as well as the Public Utilities Committee. Lou also served on the Senate Finance Committee, where he secured $200,000 for scholarships, known as the Lou Gentile Scholarship, for students pursuing shale gas related jobs in the Ohio Valley. He served in the senate until the end of 2016.
Prior to serving in the legislature, Lou worked in the Governor’s Office of Appalachia. While in this office, he managed a $10 million grant program focused on investing in infrastructure, workforce development and job creation programs in the region. In addition, Lou worked with both the private sector and local governments to grow and attract jobs.
Lou has been recognized by the Coalition of Rural and Appalachian Schools (CORAS) for his advocacy of public education. In addition, in 2017 he was recognized by the Upper Ohio Valley Italian Heritage Festival as Man of the Year.
Lou was born and raised in Steubenville, Ohio. After high school, he attended West Virginia University in Morgantown where he graduated with a degree in political science.
Vorys Advisors is not involved in the provision of legal services.
Professional and Community Activities
- Jefferson County Board of Elections, Board Member
- 7/9/2018Lou Gentile, a principal with Vorys Advisors, was a guest on the July 8th edition of 10TV’s (WBNS) weekly political show Face the State.
- 7/9/2018Lou Gentile, a principal with Vorys Advisors, was a guest on the July 8th edition of NBC4’s (WCMH) weekly political show The Spectrum.
- 5/30/2018Lou Gentile, a principal with Vorys Advisors, was a guest on the May 27th edition of NBC4’s (WCMH) weekly political show The Spectrum.
- 4/9/2018Lou Gentile, a principal with Vorys Advisors, was a guest on the April 8, 2018 edition of 10TV’s (WBNS) weekly public affairs TV show Face the State.
- 3/16/2018Lou Gentile, a principal with Vorys Advisors, was a guest on WCMH-NCB4’s weekly political show The Spectrum.
- 9/5/2017Lou Gentile, a principal with Vorys Advisors, was recently a guest on 10TV’s Face the State.
- 8/23/2017Former Ohio State Senator Lou Gentile has joined Vorys Advisors as a principal. Gentile served in the Ohio House before being appointed to fill the vacancy in Ohio’s 30th Senate District in 2011, where he served until the end of 2016.
- 9/11/2017Principals with Vorys Advisors Tom Niehaus and Lou Gentile presented at the OCTC Member Retreat and Golf Outing on September 11, 2017 on upcoming issues that could impact the chemical industry.
- 11/7/2018This alert details results of the 2018 general election.