- Energy and Utilities
- Business and Commercial
- Employment Litigation
- Energy and Utilities Litigation
- Government Enforcement Investigations
- Insurance and Insurance Coverage
- Intellectual Property
- Real Property, Zoning, and Land Development
- South Texas College of Law, J.D., 1995, summa cum laude
- South Texas Law Review, editor, 1994 – 1995
- Texas A & M University, B.S., 1990
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable Greg Abbott and the Honorable Jack Hightower, Texas Supreme Court, 1995-1996
David is a partner in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the litigation group. His practice is focused on litigation in the construction, oil & gas, real estate and transportation industries. He has experience handling a variety of disputes in the following areas: construction, non-compete/confidential information, real estate, vendor/subcontractor, acquisitions, change orders/payment disputes, wildfires, pipelines, insurance coverage and indemnity. In addition, he has represented various employers in drafting and negotiating employment agreements and severance agreements.
- Successfully defending a client in a $43 million arbitration in California involving numerous issues including employee fraud, disputes over contingent payments for the acquisition of an electrical contracting business, complicated financial transactions, and the economics of several proposed power plants in the Midwest
- Serving as lead counsel for a power line contractor in state court in California defending a series of wildfire lawsuits where the combined damages exceeded $1.2 billion
- Successfully defending a corporation and a large group of employees against claims of employee raiding, theft of confidential information, tortious interference and related claims
- Successfully representing a client in $33 million arbitration in California involving a contractual right of first refusal for the sale of several landfill-gas-to-energy power plants
- Successfully defended an oilfield service company in a case pending in Texas, in which the plaintiff claimed the company had improperly dumped oilfield waste on its property
- Served as lead counsel and successfully resolved a sexual harassment claim filed against a manufacturer of industrial equipment
- Successfully defended a subcontractor in an $18 million pipeline construction case in Williamson County, Texas
- Successfully defended a client in a $40 million RICO and fraud lawsuit involving the construction of cable television infrastructure in Atlanta, Georgia
- Successfully representing an employer in an employee fraud case in Colorado in which several employees left the company, took confidential information and started a competing business
In 2006, David was recognized as one of Texas' Rising Stars (a Thomson Reuters service). He is also a Fellow of the Texas and Houston Bar Foundations.
David recently completed a practical drilling technology course in September 2015, with Murchison Drilling Schools, Inc.
David received his J.D. summa cum laude from the South Texas College of Law, where he was an articles editor of the South Texas Law Review and a member of the Order of Lytae. He received his B.S. from Texas A&M University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Star of Hope Mission, Board of Directors, 2014-present
- Grace Presbyterian Church, Elder & Clerk of Session, 2013-Present
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program, Board of Directors, 1997 - 1999
- Hispanic Bar Association, Member
- Cho-Yeh Camp & Conference Center, Inc., Board of Directors, 2009 - 2010
- Chapelwood Methodist School for Young Children, Board of Directors, 2002 - 2008
- 12/16/2014Vorys announced that nine trial lawyers, with diverse civil litigation backgrounds, will join the firm’s Houston office. The attorneys will start at the firm on January 5. Their arrival continues the firm’s expansion in Houston and strengthens Vorys nationally recognized litigation and energy groups.