David is a partner in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the litigation group. His practice is focused on litigation in the construction, oilfield services, real estate and transportation industries. He has experience handling a variety of disputes in the following areas: construction, non-compete/confidential information, real estate, vendor/subcontractor disputes, acquisitions, and various other business disputes.
Career highlights include:
- Successfully defended a client in a $43 million arbitration in California involving numerous issues including employee fraud, disputes over contingent payments for the acquisition of an electrical contracting business, complicated financial transactions, and the economics of several proposed power plants in the Midwest
- Successfully defended a power line contractor in state court in California defending a series of wildfire lawsuits where the combined damages exceeded $1.2 billion
- Successfully defending a corporation and a large group of employees against claims of employee raiding, theft of confidential information, tortious interference and related claims
- Successfully representing a client in $33 million arbitration in California involving a contractual right of first refusal for the sale of several landfill-gas-to-energy power plants
- Successfully defended an oilfield service company in a case pending in Texas, in which the plaintiff claimed the company had improperly dumped oilfield waste on its property
- Multiple matters representing general contractors and subcontractors in arbitrations and litigation successfully recovering millions of dollars in base contract and change order claims
- Successfully defended a subcontractor in an $18 million pipeline construction defect case in Williamson County, Texas
- Investigated employee fraud and ultimately secured final judgement for hundreds of thousands of dollars against defendant
- Multiple cases collecting unpaid rent on commercial real estate leases
- Successfully defended a client in a $40 million RICO and fraud lawsuit involving the construction of cable television infrastructure in Atlanta, Georgia
- Successfully represented an employer in an employee fraud case in Colorado in which several employees left the company, took confidential information and started a competing business
- Secured pre-judgment recovery of valuable equipment in case where ownership was disputed via Texas writ of sequestration process
In 2006, David was recognized as one of Texas' Rising Stars (a Thomson Reuters service). He is also a Fellow of the Texas and Houston Bar Foundations.
David completed a practical drilling technology course in September 2015, with Murchison Drilling Schools, Inc.
David received his J.D. summa cum laude from the South Texas College of Law, where he was an articles editor of the South Texas Law Review and a member of the Order of Lytae. He received his B.S. from Texas A&M University.
Professional & Community Activities
Star of Hope Mission, Board of Directors, 2014-present
Grace Presbyterian Church, Elder & Clerk of Session, 2013-Present
Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program, Board of Directors, 1997 - 1999
Cho-Yeh Camp & Conference Center, Inc., Board of Directors, 2009 - 2010
Chapelwood Methodist School for Young Children, Board of Directors, 2002 - 2008
News & Insights
South Texas College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 1995
South Texas Law Review, Editor, 1994 – 1995
Texas A & M University, B.S., 1990
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable Greg Abbott and the Honorable Jack Hightower, Texas Supreme Court, 1995-1996