Tax Strategies for Real Estate Transactions
On November 13, 2019, the Vorys Cleveland office hosted a program titled, “Tax Strategies for Real Estate Transactions,” in conjunction with Madison Commercial Real Estate Services. Vorys attorneys Nicholas Ray and Lauren Fromme were joined by Michael Brady, executive vice president at Madison Exchange LLP.
The panel covered a wide range of topics, including:
- Capital Gain Taxes
- What is a 1031 Exchange?
- Types of 1031 Exchanges
- Forward Exchanges
- Reverse Exchanges
- Improvement and Build-to-Suit Exchanges
- Full Tax Deferral and Partial Exchanges, Coordinating with Co-Investors
- 1031 Exchanges vs. Qualified Opportunity Zones
- Ohio Real Estate Tax Issues
- Understanding Transfer Tax and Subsequent Reassessments
- Real Estate vs. Entity Transfer, and the School Board’s Approach to the Matter
- Contesting and/or Settling Tax Evaluation Complaints