2020 Vorys Economic Development Incentives Conference
Vorys hosted its fifth annual Economic Development Incentives Conference on February 21, 2020 in Columbus, Ohio. The program explored trends and best practices regarding economic development incentives for developers, companies and community leaders.
The presenters from Vorys were Aaron Berke, Sean Byrne, Hilary Houston, Chris Knezevic, Shammas Malik, Joseph Mann, Ted Smith, Jill Tangeman, and Scott Ziance. These professionals co-presented with economic development and incentives leaders from the public and private sectors.
The following topics were discussed throughout the day:
- Hot topics in the economic development incentives world with elected officials from throughout Ohio
- Trends in the industry and how those trends are impacting projects
- An overview and update of tax abatements and exemptions, including CRAs, EZs, use-based real property tax exemptions and pollution control tax exemptions
- The history of the Dayton Arcade and its importance to the past and future success and survival of downtown Dayton
- How teaming up and the creative use of incentives can make matching funds appear
- New federal regulations and current trends, the nomination process, and initiatives DSA has taken on the topic
- How incentives impacted the design, construction and operation of the White Castle corporate headquarters
- Ohio’s current economic development strategy, including how economic development incentives can be used to help improve the state’s economy and residents’ well-being
Click here to learn more about the event and to be added to the mailing list for the 2021 conference.