- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 1992
- The University of Michigan, A.B., 1989
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Robin is a senior attorney in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the health care group. Her practice is focused on health care compliance, healthcare risk management, medical malpractice, HIPAA and HITECH. She has extensive experience representing physician and hospital providers, as well as providers in the fields of behavioral health and developmental disabilities. Robin has drafted healthcare policies and procedures and advised on a variety of risk, compliance issues, licensure and reimbursement issues.
Robin is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association and the Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys.
Robin has presented on a number of topics including pediatric liability trends, risk management, managed care contracting, overpayments, HIPAA and HITECH.
Robin received her J.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Law. She earned her A.B. in History from the University of Michigan.
Immediately prior to joining Vorys, Robin spent eight years as associate counsel at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, advising the hospital in the areas of risk management, consent issues, adverse patient events, quality, EMTALA, insurance, litigation, employment, information security, HIPAA, JCAHO and CMS compliance. Robin has knowledge of a broad range of issues affecting hospitals and is able to approach her representation from the viewpoint of her clients.
Professional and Community Activities
- American Health Lawyers Association, Leadership Development Program Member
- Society of Ohio Healthcare Attorneys, Central District Representative, 2014-2018
- Camp Livingston, Board Member, 2016-present
- American Health Lawyers Association, Children’s Hospital Affinity Group, Publication Committee 2014-2016
- Mental Health America of Franklin County, Board Member, 2015-present
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, 2016-2019
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 11/11/2014Reisz, Canowitz Featured in Behavioral Healthcare Story Titled “Be Wary of Copy-and-Paste EHR Mistakes”Lisa Pierce Reisz and Robin Canowitz, attorneys in the Vorys Columbus office and members of the health care group, were quoted throughout a Behavioral Healthcare story on using copy and paste functionality to speed up the process of updating notes on patient electronic health records.
- 4/25/2014Robin Canowitz, a senior attorney in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the health care group, was chosen as the Columbus School for Girls (CSG) 2014 Athletic Hall of Fame inductee.
- 5/7/2018Nine Vorys attorneys presented at The Ohio Council of Behavioral Health & Family Services Providers Compliance Training on May 7, 2018.
- 2/6/2017Pediatric Behavioral Health Care: A Case Study of Legal Issues Related to Treatment, Consent and PrivacyVorys attorney Robin Canowitz was a panel speaker for the webinar titled “Pediatric Behavioral Health Care: A Case Study of Legal Issues Related to Treatment, Consent and Privacy” hosted by the American Health Lawyers Association on February 6, 2017.
- 10/5/2016Vorys attorneys Robin Canowitz and Liam Gruzs were speakers at Ohio Health Information Management Advocacy Day hosted by the Ohio Health Information Management Association on October 5, 2016.
- 6/28/2016Vorys attorneys Jolie Havens and Robin Canowitz were speakers at the AHLA Annual Meeting on June 28, 2016.
- 9/10/2015Vorys attorneys Lisa Pierce Reisz and Robin Canowitz were speakers at the Health Care Law Committee Meeting hosted by the Columbus Bar Association on September 10.
- 5/14/2015Vorys attorneys Robin Canowitz, Jason Elvers, Jonathan Ishee and Lisa Reisz were presenters at the 2015 HIPAA/HIT Summit: What You Need to Know Now hosted by Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP on May 14, 2015.
- 5/8/2015Vorys attorneys Matt Albers, Robin Canowitz, Lisa Reisz, Amanda Roe and Suzanne Scrutton were speakers at The Ohio Council of Behavioral Health & Family Services Providers Compliance Training on May 8, 2015.
- 10/21/2014Vorys Health Care Advisors professionals, Maureen Corcoran and Daphne Saneholtz, along with Vorys attorneys Suzanne Scrutton and Robin Canowitz presented at the 2014 OPRA Fall Conference on October 21, 2014.
- 10/2/2014Vorys attorneys Lisa Reisz, Robin Canowitz and Suzanne Scrutton presented at the Ohio Council of Behavioral Health & Family Services Providers Annual Conference on October 2, 2014.
- 10/30/2013Vorys attorneys Nelson Cary and Robin Canowitz discussed recent key labor and employment law developments.
- 3/18/2013Vorys partner Nelson Cary and senior attorney Robin Canowitz spoke at the Health Care Law Committee Meeting hosted by the Columbus Bar Association on March 18, 2013. Their presentation was titled, Labor Law Issues of Interest to Health Care Employers.
- 3/11/2013Several Vorys attorneys presented at the seminar, HIPAA, HITECH and Confidentially Training, on March 11, 2013. The training seminar was hosted by the Ohio Council of Behavioral Health & Family Services Providers.
- 2/15/2013Vorys senior attorney Robin Canowitz participated in a roundtable discussion hosted by the American Health Lawyers Association on Friday, February 15, 2013.
- 2/21/2017Vorys attorneys Jonathan Ishee, Shannon Majoras and Robin Canowitz co-authored a chapter for the second edition of Health Informatics.
- 9/21/2016An Analysis of Legal Issues—Child and Adolescent Behavioral Health, Part II: Consent for Behavioral Health Treatment by MinorsVorys health care lawyers, Robin Canowitz and Shannon Majoras, co-authored an article for American Health Lawyers Association Behavioral Health Task Force titled “An Analysis of Legal Issues—Child and Adolescent Behavioral Health, Part II: Consent for Behavioral Health Treatment by Minors.”
- 11/12/2014Labor and Employment Alert: Agency Guidance on Health Plan Strategies that Don’t Work as Advertised and Other Employee Benefit NewsStarting in 2015, a large employer will be subject to pay or play penalties if it fails to offer affordable health coverage that provides at least minimum value to its full-time employees. A health plan provides “minimum value” if it is designed to pay at least 60% of the total cost of medical services for a standard population. This is generally equivalent to a bronze level plan sold in the public health insurance Exchange.
- 9/17/2014If your company sponsors a self-insured health plan, there are two November deadlines you may have overlooked in the midst of preparation for the ACA’s pay or play penalties and 2015 open enrollment.
- 7/15/2014Health Care Alert: Expansion of Payment for Some Mental Health Telemedicine Services under Medicare Part BEach year, Medicare makes additions and deletions to its annual physician fee schedule (PFS). Medicare recently released a proposed rule for calendar year 2015 which includes an expansion of some telemedicine health services. Under the proposed rule, Medicare will expand payment for certain mental health and medical services that are furnished via telemedicine.
- 7/2014Several Vorys attorneys authored an article titled “Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act Parity Analysis is Fine Tuned” for National Bar Association's Health Law Section July 2014 Newsletter.
- 4/15/2014Health Care Alert: Speculation on Potential Fall-Out Begins as CMS Releases Medicare Physician Payment DataOn April 9, 2014, following the release of an injunction against the disclosure of the information, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) posted all Medicare provider and utilization data (data) on its website.
- 2/21/2014The employer pay or play penalties were originally scheduled to apply in 2014 but the IRS gave employers a one-year reprieve. Final regulations and FAQs published February 10, 2014 explain how the penalties will work in 2015 and provide several helpful transitional rules.
- 1/21/2014Labor and Employment Alert: Dental and Vision Coverage as an Excepted Benefit and Other Employee Benefit NewsSummary: ACA mandates don’t apply to health plans classified as “excepted benefits.” The government has proposed regulations expanding the definition of excepted benefits to include self-insured dental and vision coverage even if that coverage is provided without employee contributions.
- 11/22/2013Health Care Alert: Qualified Health Plans on the Marketplace Are Not Subject to the Anti-Kickback Statute, but There’s More to the Story…On October 30, 2013, in a letter to Representative Jim McDermott, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary, Kathleen Sebelius clarified that qualified health plans (QHPs) available in the health insurance Marketplaces created under the Affordable Care Act (ACA) are not “federal health care programs.”
- 11/14/2013Labor and Employment Alert: Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act Parity Analysis is Fine TunedNew final regulations under the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008 (MHPAEA) apply to group health plans in plan years beginning on or after July 1, 2014 (January 1, 2015 for calendar year plans). The regulations generally incorporate the 2010 interim final regulations and subsequent FAQs, with some notable clarifications.
- 11/8/2013The IRS has added a second exception to the use-or-lose rule for health flexible spending accounts (FSAs). Employers now have three alternatives for end-of-year health FSA credit balances...