Phil is a partner in the Vorys Pittsburgh office and member of the labor and employment group. He has more than 40 years of experience counselling business clients in both traditional and non-traditional labor and employment matters. Phil has successfully negotiated collective bargaining agreements with nearly every major labor union in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, New York and Ohio. He has experience in handling complex labor disputes, including issues relating to grievance arbitrations, unfair labor practice charges, strikes, boycotts, hand billing, jurisdictional disputes, union representation elections, union decertifications, wage and hour class action suits and picketing.
Career highlights include:
- Managing campaigns in opposition to union representation elections
- Acting as a member of the bargaining team and/or chief negotiator for clients in collective bargaining negotiations with nearly every major labor union in the tri-state area and New York
- Representing employers throughout the United States in employee grievance arbitrations
- Defending employers on unfair labor practice charges before the National Labor Relations Board in multiple states
- Defending employers in age, sex, race and handicap discrimination claims - provided advice on state and federal labor statutes and regulations
- Advising clients on work stoppages, plant closures strike misconduct, hand billing, picketing, unemployment compensation, hiring replacement workers, lockout issues, union jurisdictional disputes and general employment issues
- Representing clients in complex union jurisdictional disputes over work assignments
- Representing construction clients in complex state and federal court litigation and arbitrations
Phil has served as special labor counsel for a number of municipal clients in Pennsylvania, advising them on day to day employment issues. Phil’s municipal expertise includes handling complex matters under the Pennsylvania Public Employee Labor Relations Act, No. 195; and Act 111, negotiating collective bargaining agreements, interest arbitrations arising out of bargaining impasses, and the successful handling of grievances and grievance arbitrations.
Phil is a member of the Federal District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, Mediation/Arbitration Panel. In addition, he is a member of the Washington County Court of Common Pleas Arbitration Panel.
Phil received his J.D. from the Ohio Northern University Pettit College of Law and his B.A. from the Pennsylvania State University.
Honors & Recognitions
The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law – Management, 2023-2024; Litigation – Labor and Employment, 2021-2024
Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
Professional & Community Activities
Appointment as Solicitor for Peters Creek Sanitary Authority, January, 2019
Greater Canonsburg Chambers of Commerce, Member
Washington County Bar Personnel Committee, Chair
Washington Hospital Health Futures, Board Member
Washington County Bar Foundation, Board Member
Washington County Bar Association, Past President
News & Insights
Ohio Northern University Pettit College of Law, J.D.
Pennsylvania State University, B.A.
Bar & Court Admissions
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.