- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights
- Financial Institutions
- University of Dayton School of Law, J.D., 2000, magna cum laude
University of Dayton Law Review, Managing Editor, 1999-2000
- Miami University, B.S., 1992
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Rob is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and practices in the finance, energy and real estate group. He has extensive experience in the areas of bankruptcy, debtor/creditor rights, commercial restructuring, collection and financial restructurings. He was also formerly a Certified Public Accountant.
Career highlights include:
- He served as counsel to a $1 billion farm cooperative in a Chapter 11 case in which the debtor successfully reorganized
- Acted as counsel for the SEC Receiver in SEC v. One Equity, including the investigation and liquidation of assets and distribution to impacted parties
- Served as counsel to the Chapter 11 Trustee in a liquidating Chapter 11 proceeding of a 1600 unit apartment complex
- Served as counsel to a purchase order financier in a successful Chapter 11 case of a telecommunications business
- Regularly serves as counsel for clients in restructuring commercial relationships with distressed customers or suppliers
- Served as counsel for lenders in the liquidation of collateral, including the pursuit of assets from uncooperative borrowers, and in loan restructuring and forbearance arrangements
Rob has lectured on commercial restructuring and bankruptcy topics.
Rob is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute.
Rob received his J.D. magna cum laude from the University of Dayton School of Law where he was the managing editor of the University of Dayton Law Review. He received his B.S. from Miami University.
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor, 2007
- The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2020
- 8/15/2019One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020.
- 1/20/2015In December 2014, Ohio Governor John Kasich signed into law Substitute House Bill No. 9, which significantly revises Ohio’s law of Receiverships. Vorys released a comprehensive analysis of the amended law.
- 6/14/2016Vorys attorneys Rob Bell and John Sparacino were speakers at the 37th Energy & Mineral Law Foundation Annual Institute on June 14, 2016.
- 3/8/2016Vorys and Stout Risius and Ross hosted a program titled “What is Happening in the Oil and Gas Markets? Business and Legal Perspectives” on March 8, 2016.
- 9/25/2015Vorys attorneys Robert Bell and John Sparacino were speakers at the 7th Annual Oil and Gas Law Colloquium hosted by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute on September 25, 2015.
- 3/4/2015Vorys presented a Financial Institutions Summit on March 4, 2015 in Cleveland, Ohio.
- 3/23/2016Oil and Gas Alert: Bankruptcy Court Issues Opinion Allowing the Rejection of Certain Midstream AgreementsOn March 8, 2016, a New York Bankruptcy Court issued a bench decision in the Sabine Oil & Gas Corporation Chapter 11 case. The Court’s decision concerning a producer’s request to reject certain portions of its midstream agreements has sent shockwaves through the oil and gas industry.
- 1/20/2015In December 2014, Ohio Governor John Kasich signed into law Substitute House Bill No. 9, which significantly revises Ohio’s law of Receiverships. Vorys today released a comprehensive analysis of the amended law. Key features of the amendments are summarized below.
- October 2001