Attorneys & Professionals
As part of our dedication to helping our clients stay up-to-date on the ever-changing landscape as it relates to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve compiled the following highlights of changes to patent, trademark, and copyright operations around the world. The following are a few recent updates.
As always, a complete list of countries may be found in our Google Document.
- USPTO extends certain patent and trademark deadlines to June 1, 2020.
- Canada (CIPO) has extended deadlines for patent, trademark and industrial designs. Deadlines up to May 15 are now extended until May 19, 2020.
- European Patent Office (EPO) has announced that oral proceedings will not be held until 15 May 2020. All time limits expiring on or after March 15, 2020 are further extended until May 4, 2020.
- Brazil (BPTO) has suspended temporary all deadlines until May 15, 2020. Applications, requests and petitions may be filed electronically.
- The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) launched a new search functionality for its global patent database, PATENTSCOPE that may be useful for innovators developing new technologies to fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Other general closures & deadline extensions have been added to the document.
If you have any patent or trademark questions during this time, do not hesitate to contact us.
Vorys COVID-19 Task Force
Vorys attorneys and professionals are counseling our clients in the myriad issues related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. We have also established a comprehensive Coronavirus Task Force, which includes attorneys with deep experience in the niche disciplines that we have been and expect to continue receiving questions regarding coronavirus. Learn more and see the latest updates from the task force at vorys.com/coronavirus.