Patent Office Updates You Need to Know
As part of our dedication to helping our clients stay up-to-date on the ever-changing landscape as it relates to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve compiled the following highlights of changes to patent, trademark, and copyright operations around the world.
As always, a complete list of countries may be found in our Google Document.
- The Supreme Court announced November 25, 2020, that it will hear all oral arguments scheduled for the January session by telephone conference and will provide a live audio feed to the media. The Justices and counsel will all participate remotely. The Court building remains open for official business only and closed to the public until further notice.
- The European Patent Office (EPO) released an update providing users with an overview of the measures taken by the EPC contracting states with respect to extensions or interruptions of periods, on November 30, 2020.
- The German Bundestag approved the ratification bill on the Unified Patent Court Agreement, on November 26, 2020.
- The Czech IP Office (UPV) has announced the adoption of crisis measures from November 23, 2020 to December 12, 2020. UPV headquarters (including its filing office and cash desk) are open only on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9am until 2pm. During those visits, users are banned from moving (or staying) in public areas of the agency's building without respiratory protective equipment. Alternatively, the office urges users to contact it via phone or email instead of an in-person visit.
- The Lebanon IP Office has confirmed that from November 14, 2020 to November 30, 2020, it is "partially operating" due to a nationwide lockdown order. During that period, only priority-based applications will be accepted.
- The Iraq IP Office has resumed its work at approximately 25% capacity until further notice. However, at present, the receiving of search requests and filing applications remains suspended.
Other general closures & deadline extensions have been added to the document.
If you have any patent or trademark questions during this time, do not hesitate to contact us.
Vorys COVID-19 Task Force
Vorys attorneys and professionals are counseling our clients in the myriad issues related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. We have also established a comprehensive Coronavirus Task Force, which includes attorneys with deep experience in the niche disciplines that we have been and expect to continue receiving questions regarding coronavirus. Learn more and see the latest updates from the task force at vorys.com/coronavirus.