- Baylor University, J.D., 2013, cum laude
- Baylor Law Review, Executive Editor, 2012-2013
- Texas A&M, B.A., 2010, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- New Mexico
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
John is an associate in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the litigation group. His practice areas include commercial and business litigation, personal injury litigation, and insurance coverage and defense. John also has experience defending employers against claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation in state and federal court, and he has represented employers before various administrative agencies in Texas and New Mexico. John also devotes a portion of his practice to real property tax valuation disputes and appeals, including regularly litigating such matters throughout the state of Texas.
John is a frequent speaker and author on employment-related issues, including preparation of employee handbooks and policies, completion of the Form I-9, and trade secret litigation.
His notable experience includes:
- Representing a businessman in a complex first-party insurance dispute and successfully handling oral argument on multiple dispositive motions; case resulted in a seven-figure settlement for the client.
- Obtaining dismissal of environmental claims and civil RICO claims asserted against a real estate developer in federal court; obtaining summary judgment in favor of real estate developer of nuisance and trespass claims later filed against it in state court.
- Prosecuting and defending lawsuits involving claims of fraud, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties, and professional negligence.
- Serving as lead counsel and obtaining a temporary restraining order and temporary injunction in a case involving a dispute over easement rights.
- Serving as a member of the trial team in a construction case arising from renovations to a regional airport that resulted in a jury verdict in favor of the client.
- Obtaining complete dismissal of health care liability claims asserted against an emergency services organization and its employee; case resolved favorably on appeal.
- Obtaining complete dismissal of civil rights claims under 42 U.S.C. §1983 asserted against a municipalities, private medical contractors, and medical professionals.
- Obtaining summary judgment in favor of a governmental entity and a traffic control company in a personal injury lawsuit.
- Obtaining summary judgment in favor of a traffic control company in a case arising from a motorcycle accident.
- Serving as lead counsel and resolving a wrongful death lawsuit asserted against a hotel franchisor and franchisee arising from a nationally reported accident involving an 18-wheeler.
- Serving as a member of the trial team in a traumatic brain injury case that resulted in a complete defense verdict.
- Obtaining summary judgment in favor of an emergency services organization in a whistleblower retaliation case.
- Serving as a member of the trial team in a workers compensation retaliation case that resulted in a complete defense verdict.
- Representing employers before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the National Labor Relations Board, the Texas Workforce Commission, the Texas Department of Insurance, the New Mexico Human Rights Bureau, and the New Mexico Workers Compensation Administration.
Prior to joining Vorys, John received his J.D. from Baylor Law School cum laude, where he was a member of the Baylor Law Review and the Baylor Barrister Society. He received his B.A. summa cum laude from Texas A&M University.