- South Texas College of Law, J.D., 1993, magna cum laude
- South Texas Law Review, member, 1992 - 1993
- University of Houston, B.S., 1990, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Phillip is a partner in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the litigation group. His practice is focused on commercial litigation, complex insurance coverage, risk-shifting obligations in contracts, injury/death litigation and all types of employment matters including class and collective actions. He has successfully navigated complex insurance disputes for firm clients involving more than a billion dollars. Phillip has over 20 years of experience in the area of governmental immunity, and represents governmental entities, emergency service organizations, and non-profits across the state of Texas in matters involving health care liability, employment-based claims, injury/wrongful death, and civil rights. He defends employers in single-party discrimination and collective/class litigation at the administrative, trial and appellate levels and has successfully tried employee termination/discipline disputes in arbitrations under collective bargaining agreements. Phillip also performs workplace investigations for public and private entities.
In addition to an extensive Texas practice, Phillip has been successful in state and federal courts across the country, including California, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Louisiana, Colorado and Kansas, as well as before numerous regulatory agencies.
Phillip has authored articles on insurance coverage and maritime law. He has presented on workplace investigations and on risk-shifting in insurance, including on the evolving area of additional insurance obligations.
Phillip received his J.D. magna cum laude from the South Texas College of Law, where he was a member of the South Texas Law Review and a recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award for Academic Excellence. He received his B.S. magna cum laude from the University of Houston.
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Houston Bar Association, Member
- 12/16/2014Vorys announced that nine trial lawyers, with diverse civil litigation backgrounds, will join the firm’s Houston office. The attorneys will start at the firm on January 5. Their arrival continues the firm’s expansion in Houston and strengthens Vorys nationally recognized litigation and energy groups.
- 11/12/2015Vorys Partner Phillip Bechter was a speaker at the Quanta Services Risk and Safety Conference on November 12, 2015.