- Washington & Lee University, J.D., 1986
- Dickinson College, B.A., 1983, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Debbie is a partner in the Vorys Washington, D.C. office and a member of the litigation group. She has practiced law for more than 35 years and has significant jury trial and bench trial and appellate experience.
She has a complex and diverse litigation practice, stemming from her decades of handling insurance defense and insurance coverage matters. Debbie has corporate clients who rely on her practical counsel, but she has focused her successful practice on the defense of professionals. Debbie has represented lawyers, accountants, attorneys, insurance brokers and agencies, physicians, social workers and real estate professionals. She also has significant experience in employment litigation and disputes as well as handling personal injury, premises liability, products liability, commercial, and construction litigation and disputes. Debbie has defended automobile dealers, trucking companies, and rental car companies from claims of negligence, products liability and consumer protection violations. She has also represented several religious organizations and educational institutions from claims of sexual misconduct and molestation and claims of discrimination. Debbie has more than 30 reported appellate opinions from the D.C. and Maryland federal and state courts.
In addition to her varied trial and litigation work, Debbie has extensive professional liability experience. Debbie has represented numerous attorneys before the Maryland Attorney Grievance Commission, the District of Columbia Board of Professional Responsibility and Bar Counsel, and the Virginia State Bar. She also represents employers before the U.S. Equal Opportunity Commission, the Maryland Human Relations Civil Rights Commissions, the Office of Human Rights of the District of Columbia, and the Virginia Human Rights Commissions. She represents physicians before the Physician Board of Quality Insurance and health care providers before Maryland Health Care Alternative Dispute Resolution Office. Debbie also has experience defending real estate agents, brokers, and real estate agencies before the Maryland Real Estate Commission. Debbie has successfully defended insurance agencies and brokers before the Maryland Insurance Commission.
Debbie has earned the highest “AV” rating from Martindale-Hubbell and is a “Master of the Bench” in the Montgomery County Maryland Inn of Court.
Professional and Community Activities
- Montgomery County Bar Association, Member
- Montgomery County Inn of Court, Master of the Bench
- Maryland State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- The District of Columbia Bar, Member
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 3/28/2022Debbie Whelihan, a partner in the Vorys Washington, D.C. office, was recently profiled in Law360. The article, which was about her move to Vorys, highlighted her years and legal practice and her experience.
- 3/14/2022Deborah Murrell Whelihan, Recognized Professional Liability Attorney, Joins Vorys in Washington, D.C.Deborah Murrell Whelihan has joined Vorys as a partner in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. She has practiced law for more than 35 years and has significant jury trial and bench trial and appellate experience, which includes more than 30 reported appellate opinions from the D.C. and Maryland federal and state courts.