- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2005
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, S.M., 2001
- Brown University, Sc.B., magna cum laude, 2000, with honors
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- The Honorable Cathy Bissoon, United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Rich is a partner in the Vorys Pittsburgh office and a member of the technology and intellectual property group. In this practice, he counsels clients in a wide variety of IP matters, including patent infringement and validity assessments, freedom-to-operate analyses, IP litigation, and patent and trademark prosecution. Rich has particular technical expertise in the life sciences and has assisted clients with IP analyses in preparation for filing Abbreviated New Drug Applications.
- Conducting non-infringement, invalidity, and freedom-to-operate analyses on behalf of generic pharmaceutical companies in preparation for filing Abbreviated New Drug Applications
- Representing a pharmaceutical company in arbitration regarding licensing of therapeutic monoclonal antibodies
- Representing patent owners in investigating competitor's potentially infringing products and conducting infringement analyses
- Managing and prosecuting a portfolio of U.S. and international patent applications for novel uses of therapeutic compounds
- Representing various clients in enforcing trademark rights
In addition to his legal work, Rich serves as a commissioner on the Pennsylvania Governor’s Advisory Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs. He is also a member of the Allegheny County Bar Association’s Asian Attorneys Committee and its Committee for Diversity and Inclusion. Rich serves as the Corresponding Secretary for the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Pennsylvania as well.
Rich received his J.D. from Harvard Law School, his S.M. in toxicology from Massachusetts Institute of Technology and his Sc.B. magna cum laude with honors in biochemistry from Brown University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Pennsylvania Governor's Advisory Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs, Commissioner
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Asian Attorneys Committee, Chair (2010-2012)
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Pennsylvania, Corresponding Secretary (2018), Board of Directors (2015-2017), Finance Committee Chair (2017), Statewide Outreach Committee Co-Chair, Policy Committee
- Q. Todd Dickinson Intellectual Property American Inn of Court, President-Elect, Membership Chair
- Hearing Committee Member serving the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- American Civil Liberties Union Greater Pittsburgh Chapter, Board of Directors (2006-2010, 2013-2018), Legal Committee, Public Education Committee
- 4/2/2018Vorys announced that 10 intellectual property lawyers with diverse technical backgrounds will join a growing IP team at Vorys. The arrival of these new lawyers continues the firm’s strategic growth in the Pittsburgh market and in the IP arena.
- 9/7/2018Intellectual Property Alert: Prior Case Dismissed Without Prejudice Starts Clock Running For IPR FilingA recent decision from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit changes the landscape for defendants in patent infringement cases, and in certain circumstances may limit their ability to challenge a plaintiff’s patent using the inter partes review (IPR) proceeding established in 2012.