- Duquesne University School of Law, J.D., 2000, cum laude
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania, B.S., 1997
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
John is a partner in the Vorys Pittsburgh office and a member of the technology and intellectual property group. He has significant experience in IP litigation and prosecution. He works closely with business owners to understand their concerns about protecting their major IP assets. John has counseled established national and international companies and startup companies on issues related to a broad range of IP issues including risk analysis, infringement/validity positions and opinions, ownership issues, due diligence investigations and agreements.
John has been lead counsel and argued in more than 25 cases and contested hearings, including both trial and appellate courts involving patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright and breach of contract cases. John’s practice also includes the preparation and prosecution of patents, copyrights and trademarks. He has prepared patents for clients in a number of technical areas including HVAC ventilation; builder’s hardware; dental and medical surgical devices; power generation; medical imaging; pharmaceuticals; coal and natural gas; drilling equipment; physical therapy devices; nanoparticles, novelty consumer goods; and lighting devices.
Notable experience includes:
- Obtaining a preliminary injunction for misappropriation of a trade secret for a recipe
- Defending a preliminary injunction at the Superior Court of Pennsylvania
- Lead trial counsel in Patent litigation for HVAC ductwork
- Lead trial counsel in Copyright litigation for computer software
- Lead trial counsel in Trademark litigation for a Financial institution
- Lead counsel in successful hearings at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board for both ex-parte appeals and inter-parte proceedings
- Arguing for an affirmance of a motion to dismiss based on 35 U.S.C. 101 invalidity of 5 Patents at the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Lead counsel in successful proceedings at the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board for both ex-parte appeals and inter-parte proceedings
- Obtaining jury verdict and attorneys fees award totaling $10 million in patent infringement case
Throughout his career, John has helped clients with the drafting of licenses for intellectual property, assignments of intellectual property, covenants not to compete, non-solicitation agreements, settlement agreements, ownership agreements, likeness release, video production agreements and naming rights agreements.
John is an IP law professor at Carnegie Mellon University. He is also a member of the American Bar Association, the Pennsylvania Bar Association, the Allegheny County Bar Association and the Pittsburgh Intellectual Property Law Association.
John received his J.D. cum laude from Duquesne University School of Law and his B.S. in chemistry from Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
Professional and Community Activities
- American Inns of Court, Pittsburgh Chapter, Member
- Duquesne Law School Alumni Association, Member
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation Intellectual Property, 2016-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Patent Law, 2017-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Trademark Law, 2017-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Pittsburgh Trademark "Lawyer of the Year," 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 4/2/2018Vorys announced that 10 intellectual property lawyers with diverse technical backgrounds will join a growing IP team at Vorys. The arrival of these new lawyers continues the firm’s strategic growth in the Pittsburgh market and in the IP arena.
- 10/28/2018Vorys attorneys Whitney Gibson and John Thomas will present at the 2018 Brand Authority Summit on October 28, 2018.