- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 1990, magna cum laude,
- Houston Law Review, associate editor
- The University of Texas, B.B.A., 1985
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
John is a partner in the Vorys Houston office and member of the finance, energy and real estate group. With more than 28 years of experience, John focuses his practice on bankruptcy related matters including litigation, receiverships and out-of-court restructurings. He has worked on bankruptcy matters throughout Texas and the United States.
John has represented secured and unsecured creditors, ad hoc creditors’ committees, statutory creditors’ committees, trustees, equity security holders, companies reorganizing under Chapter 11, DIP lenders and purchasers of distressed assets and companies. He also has represented purchasers and sellers of assets, claims and equity interests in distressed situations. In addition, he has represented indenture trustees in connection with bond debt transactions, including new issuances, tender offers, exchange offers, redemptions, amendments, work-outs and bankruptcies.
Career highlights include:
- Representing Chapter 11 trustee and post-confirmation trustee of Humble Surgical Hospital and affiliates (Southern District of Texas)
Representing equity sponsor in financial restructuring and bankruptcy filings of various portfolio companies including Magnum Precision Operations, LLC (Southern District of Texas)
Representing pre-petition senior secured lender and DIP lender of University General Hospital (Southern District of Texas)
Representing the Chapter 11 Trustee (and Chapter 7 Trustee following conversion) of AmeriSciences, L.P. (Southern District of Texas)
- Representing an indenture trustee and collateral agent of ATP Oil & Gas Corporation (Southern District of Texas)
- Representing an indenture trustee of Baseline Oil & Gas (Southern District of Texas)
- Representing a senior secured lender of CalTex Holdings, L.P. (Southern District of Texas)
- Representing the equity committee of Superior Offshore International, Inc. (Southern District of Texas)
- Representing a significant contract counter-party and creditor of Global Power Equipment Group (District of Delaware)
- Representing debtors of Crown Pacific Partners, L.P. (District of Arizona)
- Representing the unsecured creditors' committee of Global Motorsport Group, Inc. (District of Delaware)
- Representing debtors of Friede Goldman Halter, Inc. (Southern District of Mississippi)
- Representing debtors of Mobile Energy, et al. (Southern District of Alabama)
John is a member of the Texas Bar Association and Houston Bar Association, where he serves on several committees. He is also a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute.
John received his J.D. magna cum laude from the University of Houston Law Center, where he was an associate editor of the Houston Law Review. He received his BBA from the University of Texas.
Prior to joining Vorys, John was a partner at Andrews Kurth LLP.
Professional and Community Activities
- The Honorable Arthur L. Moller/David F. Foltz, Jr., American Inns of Court, Master of the Bench
Honors & Awards
- Texas’ Top Rated Lawyers, Bankruptcy Law, 2012
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 6/3/2013Vorys announced that two attorneys joined the firm’s Houston office. John J. Sparacino, who has 20 years of experience in bankruptcy law, joined as a partner in the finance, energy and real estate group. Randell J. Gartin joined as of counsel in the tax and probate group.
- 10/18/2018Vorys Partner John Sparacino presented at the CID Seminar: Preference Claims & Bankruptcy Outlook on October 18, 2018.
- 6/14/2016Vorys attorneys Rob Bell and John Sparacino were speakers at the 37th Energy & Mineral Law Foundation Annual Institute on June 14, 2016.
- 3/8/2016Vorys and Stout Risius and Ross hosted a program titled “What is Happening in the Oil and Gas Markets? Business and Legal Perspectives” on March 8, 2016.
- 9/25/2015Vorys attorneys Robert Bell and John Sparacino were speakers at the 7th Annual Oil and Gas Law Colloquium hosted by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute on September 25, 2015.
- 3/26/2019Client Alert: Supreme Court Holds Businesses Engaged in Nonjudicial Foreclosures Are Not “Debt Collectors” Under the FDCPAOn March 20, 2019, the U.S. Supreme Court decided Obduskey v. McCarthy & Holthus LLP, unanimously holding that a business engaged in nonjudicial foreclosure proceedings is not a “debt collector” under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (the “FDCPA”), except for the limited purpose of one section.
- April 2013
- March 2011