- Cleveland State University Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D., 2018, summa cum laude
- Cleveland State Law Review, Chief Managing Editor, 2017-2018
- University of Akron, M.B.A., 2015
- University of Akron, M.A., 2011
- Austin Peay State University, B.S., 2009, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Michelle is an associate in the Vorys Cleveland office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group. She represents lenders in a wide range of transactions, including syndicated and single bank asset-based facilities, commercial loans, subordinated debt financings, and workouts and restructurings.
Her notable experience includes:
- Serving as an extern in the Cleveland State University - Office of General Counsel
Michelle received her J.D. summa cum laude from the Cleveland State University Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, where she was the chief managing editor for the Cleveland State Law Review. She received her M.B.A. and her M.A. from the University of Akron, and her B.S. magna cum laude from Austin Peay State University. Prior to attending law school, she was the director of women's soccer operations at the University of Akron.
- 4/22/2020Ohio Supreme Court Permits Agricultural Exemption to Local Zoning Regulation to Allow for a Barn to be Rented Out for Social EventsOn April 21, 2020, the Ohio Supreme Court (the Court) ruled that the primary use of a barn, rented out for various social events, including weddings, was to facilitate the sale of wine cultivated and produced on the land.
- Michelle Margaret Smith, You Play Ball Like a Girl: Cultural Implications of the Contact Sports Exemption and Why It Needs to Be Changed, 66 Clev. St. L. Rev. 677 (2018)