- Labor and Employment
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1980
- The Ohio State University, B.S., 1977
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Carl is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group with substantial jury trial experience. He represents clients in litigation, arbitration and mediation of employment-related injury and toxic exposure disputes. Selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in America, he appears throughout Ohio on behalf of self-insured and state-funded manufacturers, retailers and service providers in the defense of complex medical injury, toxic exposure and occupational disease claims arising under the Ohio Workers' Compensation Act, as well as defending product liability claims and commercial disputes.
Career highlights include:
- Obtaining summary judgment, upheld on appeal, on cardiac death claim alleged from extreme emotional stress, by disqualifying expert witness testimony on causal relationship
Summary judgment, upheld on appeal, in a product liability action arising from an alleged in utero chemical/solvent workplace exposure resulting in complex chromosomal rearrangement/birth defects in a pregnant employee's offspring. See Kerns v. Hobart Brothers Company, (2nd Dist. 2008) No. 2007 CA-32, 2008-Ohio-2242, app. den. 2008-Ohio-5273.
- Summary judgment in a claim of chemical exposure to N-hexane and methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) allegedly causing polyneuropathy and organic brain disease
- Substantial litigation experience in toxic exposure claims, with particular skill in explaining complex scientific issues to judges and juries and in challenging dubious methodologies under Daubert v. Merrell Dow Pharmaceuticals, 509 U.S. 579 (1993) and Valentine v. Conrad, 110 Ohio St. 3d 42 (2006))
- Familiarity with many of the statistical and modeling approaches used by litigation experts and experienced in identifying flawed assumptions that may underlie such analyses
- Taking and defending numerous expert depositions and managing expert teams evaluating complex issues of medical causation, ventilation engineering, industrial hygiene, exposure assessment, hazard communication, and computer modeling
Carl is a past president of the National Conference of Bar Presidents. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association and the John Mercer Langston Bar Association.
Carl is a frequent speaker and moderator for client, bar associations and industry trade events on many subjects, including employment-related injury litigation and diversity and inclusion in the legal profession.
Carl received his J.D. from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law and his B.S. from The Ohio State University.
Professional and Community Activities
- American Bar Association, Standing Committee on Public Education, 2018-present
- National Conference of Bar Presidents, President, 2013-2014
- Columbus Bar Foundation, Board of Trustees, 2016-present, Fellow since 1990
- Columbus Bar Association, President, 2000-2001
- The Ohio State University Alumni Advisory Council, Chair, 2013-2014; Member, 2010-2016
- Gladden Community House, Board of Directors, 2009-2015
- American Bar Association, Standing Committee on Bar Activities and Services, 2004-2006, 2015-2018
- Law and Leadership Institute LLC, President, 2009-2011; Board of Trustees, 2009-2015; Emeritus, 2015-present
- American Bar Association, House of Delegates, 2002-2006; Ohio State Bar Alternate Delegate, 2015-Present
- Managing Partners' Diversity Initiative Advisory Committee, Chair, 2007-2009; Member, 2001-2010
- Metropolitan Bar Caucus, President, 2004-2005
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law National Council, 1998–2008
- Ohio State Bar Association, Council of Delegates, 1993–present, Litigation Section Board of Governors, 2000-2003
- The Ohio State University, Moritz College of Law, Adjunct Professor in Trial Advocacy, 1998-1999
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Product Liability Litigation - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year," 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Mass Tort Litigation/Class Action - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year," 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants, 2012-2013, 2015-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants, 2012-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Appellate Practice, 2013-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2013-2019
- The Best Lawyers in America, Workers' Compensation Law - Employers, 2013-2019
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Civil Litigation Defense, 2004-2018
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2018
- Distinguished Service Award, The Ohio State University, 2010
- Columbus Bar Association Award for Promoting Diversity within the Legal Profession, 2010
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Ohio Lawyer’s Weekly Lawyer of the Year, 2001
- The Ohio State University Alumni Association, Inc. Josephine Failer Award, 1994; Heinlen Award, 2003
- Columbus Urban League, Award of Excellence, 2001
- Capital University Law School Black Alumni Association, David D. White Award, 2001
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 12/5/2017Vorys is pleased to announce that 56 attorneys from the firm have been named 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/17/2017Twenty Vorys attorneys have been named 2018 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers. Each year, only a single lawyer in each specialty in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year.”
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 3/28/2017This year, 54 Vorys attorneys were listed in the 2017 Columbus CEO “Top Lawyers” List.
- 12/2/2016Vorys is pleased to announce that 58 attorneys from the firm have been named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 12/2/2015Vorys is pleased to announce that 63 attorneys from the firm have been named 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/17/2015Sixteen Vorys attorneys have been named 2016 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers.
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/12/2013Carl D. Smallwood, a partner in the Columbus office, has become the president of the National Conference of Bar Presidents (NCBP). The NCBP's organizational members include state, local and special focus bars from 53 states and territories and individual members include past bar leaders from these jurisdictions.
- 3/7/2013Carl Smallwood, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was profiled in the 2013 edition of Ohio Super Lawyers magazine for his work to increase diversity in the Ohio legal community.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 3/9/2012Carl D. Smallwood, a partner in the firm’s Columbus office, is the recipient of the inaugural Ohio State Moritz College of Law Public Interest Law Foundation Excellence in Public Service Award. He was selected as the private sector honoree for his work as president of the Law and Leadership Institut.
- 9/7/2018On September 7, 2018, Vorys hosted the annual Workers’ Compensation Client Briefing in Columbus, Ohio.
- 8/15/2018On August 15, 2018, Carl Smallwood spoke at the Institute for Inclusion in the Legal Profession’s Symposium on the State of Diversity and Inclusion in the Legal Profession
- 8/4/2018Carl Smallwood Interviewed Veteran Civil Rights Attorney Fred Gray, the Author of Bus Ride to Justice, at the 2018 National Conference of Bar Presidents MeetingOn August 4, 2018, Vorys Partner Carl Smallwood interviewed veteran civil rights attorney Fred Gray, the author of Bus Ride to Justice, at the National Conference of Bar Presidents Meeting in Chicago, Illinois.
- 9/8/2017Vorys Partner Carl Smallwood was a speaker at Masters in Trial®: A Trial Demonstration from Opening Statement through Jury Deliberation hosted by the American Board of Trial Advocates on September 8, 2017.
- 2/3/2017Vorys Partner Carl Smallwood was a moderator at the 2017 NCBP Midyear Meeting hosted by the National Conference of Bar Presidents on February 3, 2017.
- 10/28/2016Vorys Partner Carl Smallwood was a speaker at the 2016 Chester Professionalism Institute: Pathways to Career Development hosted by the Ohio Bar Association on October 28, 2016.
- 9/22/2016Vorys Partner Carl Smallwood was a speaker at the Community Unrest and Community Leadership panel discussion on September 22, 2016.
- 9/9/2016Vorys attorneys Dan Balmert, Corrine Carman, Margaret Everett, Scott Jamieson, Andrew Kaplan, Ted Mattis, Buz Minor, Brad Sinnott, Carl Smallwood, Elizabeth Smith, Ken Stump, Jerry Webbs and Rosemary Welsh were speakers at the annual Vorys Workers' Compensation Annual Client Briefing on September 9, 2016.
- 2/11/2016Vorys Partner Carl Smallwood was a speaker at the program “Diversity in the Legal Profession: How Do We Change the Trajectory?”
- 2/11/2015On February 11, 2015, Vorys Partner Carl Smallwood was the Keynote Speaker at the Jacksonville Bar Association’s February meeting.
- 4/4/2014Vorys partner Carl Smallwood presented at the 2014 Diversity Day CLE sponsored by the Dayton Bar Association on April 4, 2014.
- 2/7/2014Vorys partner Carl Smallwood will be serving as a moderator at the 2014 National Conference of Bar Presidents Midyear Meeting on February 7, 2014.
- 3/19/2013Carl Smallwood, a partner in the firm’s Columbus office, participated in a panel discussion about the need for Ohio schools to be more engaged with civics and democracy.
- 1/31/2012On January 31, the Columbus Bar Association, in partnership with the Managing Partners Diversity Initiative, presented a “Generational Conversation” as part of its Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration. Members of the John Mercer Langston Bar Association and APABA-CO moderated a panel discussion about the changing landscape of the legal community, including panelist Carl Smallwood.