- Energy and Utilities
- Intellectual Property, Entertainment, and Technology Protection
- Labor and Employment
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 1979
- University of Texas, B.A., 1975
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Dick is a partner in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the litigation group. He has tried over 60 cases in many forums in the United States. Over the past 39 years working as a successful trial lawyer, Dick has handled cases in many states, including Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, New York, and California, and many kinds of disputes, including complex commercial litigation, breach of contract, business break-ups, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, insurance, environmental, labor and employment, intellectual property, securities, personal injury and professional liability matters.
In addition to his complex commercial trial practice, Dick counsels clients and handles cases regarding employment contracts, terminations, and separations, claims of discrimination and retaliation, breach of non-competition/non-solicitation/confidentiality agreements, theft of trade secrets. He also performs independent investigations for companies on a variety of issues. Dick is committed to finding prompt and cost effective solutions to the client's problems. He is known for his ability to understand complex matters, identify the key questions and issues, and develop, execute, and assess strategies to accomplish the client's goals.
Dick counsels clients and handles cases regarding contamination from legacy oil field production, industrial and refining operations. For example, he has been lead counsel for numerous parties in the Tex Tin Superfund Site litigation and in a dispute between major oil companies over legacy oil field operations in Louisiana.
During his career, Dick has held several leadership positions in the Federal Bar Association’s South Texas Chapter including serving as the Chapter’s president, treasurer, secretary and national delegate. He is also a member of numerous other professional organizations. Dick has been a member of the Garland Walker Inn of Court since 1987, and serves on its board. He was the executive director for 9 years. Additionally, Dick served as the Fifth Circuit Trustee on the National Inns of Court Foundation from 2007-2015. He is a fellow of the Houston Bar Foundation and Texas Bar Foundation. He is chairman of the District 4 State Bar of Texas Grievance Committee.
Dick has authored and lectured at numerous legal education programs. He has written papers and given lectures on such subjects as expert discovery, corporate investigations, legal privileges and ethics. He has also completed Harvard Law School’s program on Negotiation and Leadership 2017 Harvard Negotiation Master Class and the University of Houston A.A. White Dispute Resolution Center’s comprehensive course in Commercial Arbitration (Domestic and International) and obtained a certificate in Advanced Arbitration Skills.
Dick received his J.D. from the University of Houston Law Center and his B.A. from the University of Texas.
Professional and Community Activities
- Garland Walker American Inn of Court, Executive Director, 1993 – 2002
- Garland Walker Inn, Member and Executive Committee, 1993 - Present
- American Inns of Court Foundation, Fifth Circuit Trustee, 2007 - 2015
- Federal Bar Association, South Texas Chapter, Board Member
- College of State Bar of Texas, 1993 - 2001
- District 4 State Bar of Texas, Grievance Committee, Member, 1998 – 2003, Committee Chair, 2000 - 2003, Chairman District, 2017 - present
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Houston Bar Association, Professionalism Committee Member, 2016-2017; Secretary, 1989 – 1990; Consumer Law Section, 1989 – 1990; Appellate Section's Committee on Appellate Delay Reduction, 2000
- Houston Bar Association, Houston Lawyer Referral Service Board of Trustees, 2010 - 2011
- Houston Bar Association Speakers Bureau (topics include importance of jury service and law as a career)
- Committee to Revise the ADR Rules of the Local Rules of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas and Standing ADR Panel (responsible for approval of mediators on court's approved list), Member, 2000 - Present
- Southwest YMCA Youth Soccer Coach, 1998 - 2002
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Founding Fellow, American Inns of Court
- Fellow, Houston Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- The Best Lawyers in America, Recognized by Best Lawyers, 2003 - 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, ADR, 2007 - 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2008 - 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2011 - 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Arbitration, 2011 - 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Mediation, 2011 - 2018
- Texas Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2007-2012, 2014-2016
- Best Attorneys in Texas, 2012
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 6/13/2017Dick Schwartz, a partner in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the litigation group, was elected chairman of the State Bar of Texas District 4 Grievance Committee.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 12/16/2014Vorys announced that nine trial lawyers, with diverse civil litigation backgrounds, will join the firm’s Houston office. The attorneys will start at the firm on January 5. Their arrival continues the firm’s expansion in Houston and strengthens Vorys nationally recognized litigation and energy groups.
- 10/10/2017Vorys partner Dick Schwartz presented to the Garland Walker Inn of Court on October 10, 2017. His presentation was on ethics with a specific focus on: lawyer client relations, cyber ethics, courthouse ethics, advocacy and conflicts of interest.
- 5/11/2016Vorys Partner Dick Schwartz was a panel moderator at the Fifth Circuit Judicial Conference on May 11, 2016.
- 11/4/2015Vorys attorneys Ryan Elliott and Dick Schwartz were speakers at the OOGA Technical Conference on November 4-5, 2015.
- 6/23/2015Vorys attorneys John Keller, Buz Minor, Pete Lusenhop and Dick Schwartz were speakers at the Energy and Mineral Law Foundation 36th Annual Institute on June 23, 2015.
- 7/7/2016Dick Schwartz, a partner in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the litigation group, authored an article for Offshore Magazine titled “Preserving the Confidentiality of Post-Incident Investigations.”
- 3/14/2016Internal Investigations of Well Site Events: Observations on Common Practical, Legal and Ethical IssuesDick Schwartz, a partner in the Vorys Houston office and Buz Minor, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, authored an article titled “Internal Investigations of Well Site Events: Observations on Common Practical, Legal and Ethical Issues” for the 36th Annual Energy & Mineral Law Institute.