- The University of Akron School of Law, J.D., 2017, magna cum laude
- Kent State University, M.A., 2008
- Shippensburg University, B.S., 2006
Bill Ryan joined Vorys as an associate in the Vorys Akron office and as a member of the technology and intellectual property group where he focuses his practice on protecting all facets of intellectual property in a variety of technological sectors.
Prior to law school, Bill was a research associate and product development engineer for Alphamicron, Inc., where he used his knowledge gained from his M.A. in Physics to solve technical issues and advance the company’s core liquid crystal technology as an inventor on multiple patents.
Bill’s combined experience in product development, scientific research in the university setting, and intellectual property allows him to assist and represent technology-driven clients with complex intellectual property needs, particularly in the mechanical, advanced materials, automotive, and biotech arts.
Bill also has significant trademark experience including: prosecution of trademark applications, trademark enforcement, and proceedings in front of the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB).
Bill is admitted to practice law in the state of Ohio. He received his J.D. magna cum laude from The University of Akron School of Law. He received his M.A. in Physics from Kent State University and his B.S. from Shippensburg University. Bill also holds a certificate in Nanofabrication Manufacturing Technology from Penn State University.
Bill is a member of the Portage County Bar Association.
Professional and Community Activities
- INTA (International Trademark Association) and UnReal Campaign Committee, Member
- ILCS (International Liquid Crystal Society), Member
- Akron Children’s Museum, Board Member, 2020-Present
- 1/29/2021Vorys Advises Worthington Industries, Inc. with Acquisition of Business Segment from General Tools & Instruments Company LLCVorys recently advised Worthington Industries, Inc. in connection with the acquisition by its Pressure Cylinders segment of General Tools & Instruments Company LLC (General Tools), a provider of feature-rich, specialized tools in various categories including environmental health & safety, precision measurement & layout, home repair & remodel, lawn & garden and specific purpose tools.
- 3/13/2020Vorys Attorney Bill Ryan spoke at the Akron Inventors’ Club at the Akron Library on February 13, 2020.
- 10/17/2019Vorys Associate Bill Ryan spoke at Kent State University to Ohio First Scholars in STEM on October 17, 2019.
- 8/11/2021The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit recently addressed intellectual property (IP) assignment clauses in employment agreements.