- Capital University Law School, J.D., 1998, summa cum laude
Capital University Law Review, 1996-1997
- The Ohio State University, M.S., 1989
- University of Cincinnati, B.S., 1984, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia (inactive)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Allen is a partner in the Columbus office practicing in construction law, architect/engineer professional liability, products liability, and he leads the firm’s drone and autonomous vehicle working group.
Allen is a professional engineer and former research project manager and draws upon that training and experience in managing legal disputes and counseling companies in matters involving scientific or technical substance. He also counsels companies and individuals facing investigations and ethics charges by State licensing boards such as the Ohio Engineers and Surveyors Board.
Allen has broad experience in construction claims and dispute resolution, including AAA arbitrations; American Institute of Architects (AIA), Engineers Joint Contract Documents Committee (EJCDC), and Design Build Institute of America (DBIA) contract documents; and fire cause and origin (C&O) claims, including managing the work of experts.
He has specialized knowledge in the areas of industrial and mechanical equipment; mechanical engineering; and gas appliances and venting.
Career highlights include:
- Arguing before the Ohio Supreme Court and numerous lower appellate courts.
- Operating as national coordinating counsel of construction claims for firm clients, including manufacturers and a major retail chain
- Obtaining dismissal of all ethics charges against an engineering company and one of its principals after an administrative hearing
- Defending and prosecuting construction disputes involving infrastructure projects (roads, bridges, railroads, water, waste water, oil and gas pipelines, fiber optics) and commercial buildings (schools, hospitals, hotels and industrial facilities)
- Defending products liability actions involving fires and explosions in electrical and mechanical equipment, furnaces and silos
- Inventing U.S. Patent Nos. 5,941,230 (principal) and 6,112,741
Allen is a frequent lecturer on engineering and autonomous vehicle ethics, construction law, and architect/engineer liability, and was an Adjunct Professor at Capital University Law School where he team-taught products liability with Professor Stanton G. Darling II.
Allen received his J.D. summa cum laude from Capital University Law School where he was a member of the Order of the Curia, the Order of the Barrister, the National Moot Court team, and the Capital University Law Review. He received his M.S. from The Ohio State University, publishing his thesis on applying artificial intelligence methods to energy conservation. He received his B.S. magna cum laude from the University of Cincinnati where he was Tau Beta Pi and Pi Tau Sigma.
Allen externed for the Honorable Alan E. Norris, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Prior to joining Vorys, Allen managed engineering research projects for the natural gas distribution and end use industries, including program design, relationship management, supervision of staff and subcontractors, and interactions with government and regulatory bodies including Consumer Product Safety Commission. He has authored numerous technical publications related to energy conservation, gas appliance venting, and test procedures, and has contributed to the ASHRAE HVAC Systems and Equipment Handbook and NFPA 54 National Fuel Gas Code Handbook.
Professional and Community Activities
- Ohio State Bar Association, Construction Law Committee, Chair, 2014-2016
- American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry, Construction Litigation Committee
- Columbus Bar Association, Construction Law Committee, Common Pleas Court Committee
- Builder’s Exchange of Central Ohio, Law and Finance Group
- Capital University Law School Board of Counselors
- Heritage Rail Trail Coalition, Chair
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Construction Law, 2013-2021
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2018
- American College of Trial Lawyers Medal for Excellence in Advocacy, 1997
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/20/2020112 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List; 26 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ Inaugural “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and twelve lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2021 edition. In addition, 26 Vorys attorneys were named to the inaugural Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 8/15/2019One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020.
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 3/28/2017This year, 54 Vorys attorneys were listed in the 2017 Columbus CEO “Top Lawyers” List.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 3/3/2020Vorys Attorneys Eve Stratton, Allen Rutz and Mitch Tobias presented at the Ohio Insurance Institute Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Symposium on March 3, 2020.
- 1/30/2020Vorys Partner Allen Rutz spoke at the Stark County Association for Justice, Advanced Insurance Coverage Seminar on January 30, 2020.
- 11/19/2019Vorys Partner Allen Rutz spoke at the Ohio Concrete Fall Engineering Seminar on November 19, 2019. The title of the presentation was, “What “The Practice of Engineering” Means in 2019.”
- 10/29/2019Vorys Partner Allen Rutz spoke at the Ohio Transportation Engineering Conference (OTEC) on October 29-30, 2019.
- 9/17/2019Vorys Partner Allen Rutz spoke at the Ohio State Bar Association (OSBA) Ohio Insurance and Negligence Law Conference on September 17, 2019.
- 10/3/2018Vorys partner Allen Rutz presented at the Ohio Transportation Engineering Conference on October 3, 2018.
- 4/10/2018On April 10-11, 2018, Vorys attorneys Allen Rutz and Dick Schwartz presented at the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation’s Special Institute on Petrochemicals.
- 10/10/2017Vorys partner Allen Rutz spoke at the 2017 Ohio Transportation Engineering Conference (OTEC) on October 10, 2017. He spoke about the evolution of engineering ethics.
- 4/27/2016Vorys attorneys Colleen Laux, Allen Rutz and Beth Weinewuth were speakers at the All-Ohio Legal Forum hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association on April 27-29, 2016.
- 3/29/2016Vorys Partner Allen Rutz will be a speaker at the Ohio Engineering Law and Ethics Seminar hosted by Half Moon Education on March 29, 2016.
- 11/6/2014Vorys partner Allen Rutz was a speaker at the 2014 Fall CPD Conference hosted by the Ohio Society of Professional Engineers on November 6, 2014.
- 12/11/2013Vorys partner Allen Rutz presented at a CLE Seminar for the Ohio State Bar Association on December 11.
- 4/13/2020With tens of millions of Americans suddenly working from home data privacy issues have taken on new urgency.
- 3/24/2020As part of the government’s response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, state and federal courts around the country are adjusting their operations.
- 3/18/2020In the event of government action due to a declared emergency such as a pandemic, performance under construction contracts may become delayed or impossible.
- 9/26/2019Client Alert: Ohio Supreme Court Upholds State Prohibition on Local Residency Requirements in Ohio Public Construction ProjectsThe Ohio Supreme Court recently held that Ohio Revised Code Section 9.75 does not infringe on municipal home-rule authority.
- 8/10/2016Supreme Courts in two more states, Iowa and New Jersey, have recently ruled that CGL insurance provides coverage for damage to the completed project itself caused by defective work of subcontractors.