- Capital University Law School, J.D., 1998, summa cum laude
Capital University Law Review, 1996-1997
- The Ohio State University, M.S., 1989
- University of Cincinnati, B.S., 1984, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia (inactive)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Allen is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation practice group, with a focus on construction law, architect/engineer professional liability and products liability.
Allen is a professional engineer and former research project manager and draws upon that training and experience in managing litigation projects for clients with disputes involving scientific subject matters or technical specifications. In addition, he counsels engineering companies facing investigations and ethics charges by the Ohio Engineers and Surveyors Board.
Allen has broad experience in construction claims and disputes including AAA arbitrations; American Institute of Architects (AIA) and the Engineers Joint Contract Documents Committee (EJCDC) contracts; construction warranties; delay and acceleration claims; design errors and omissions; differing site conditions; economic loss rule; liability limitations; the Ohio Fairness in Contracting Act; public records/open meeting Acts; change order disputes; and termination claims.
He has specialized knowledge in the areas of industrial and mechanical equipment; mechanical engineering; fire cause and origin (C&O); and gas appliances and venting.
Career highlights include:
- Operating as national coordinating counsel of construction claims for firm clients, including manufacturers and a major retail chain
- Obtaining dismissal of all ethics charges against an engineering company and one of its principals after an administrative hearing
- Defending and prosecuting construction disputes involving infrastructure projects (roads, bridges, railroads, water, waste water, oil and gas pipelines, fiber optics) and commercial buildings (schools, hospitals, hotels and industrial facilities)
- Defending products liability actions involving fires and explosions in electrical and mechanical equipment, furnaces and silos
- Inventing U.S. Patent Nos. 5,941,230 (principal) and 6,112,741
Allen is a frequent lecturer on construction litigation and architect/engineer liability, and is an Adjunct Professor at Capital University Law School where he team-teaches products liability with Professor Stanton G. Darling II.
Allen received his J.D. summa cum laude from Capital University Law School where he was a member of the Order of the Curia, the Order of the Barrister, and the National Moot Court team. Allen was also a member of the Capital University Law Review. He received his M.S from The Ohio State University, publishing his thesis on applying artificial intelligence methods to energy conservation. He received his B.S. magna cum laude from the University of Cincinnati where he was Tau Beta Pi and Pi Tau Sigma.
Allen externed for the Honorable Alan E. Norris, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Professional and Community Activities
- Ohio State Bar Association, Construction Law Committee, Chair, 2014-2016
- American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry, Construction Litigation Committee
- Columbus Bar Association, Construction Law Committee, Common Pleas Court Committee
- Builder’s Exchange of Central Ohio, Law and Finance Group
- Capital University Law School Board of Counselors
- Heritage Rail Trail Coalition, Chair
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Construction Law, 2013-2018
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2018
- American College of Trial Lawyers Medal for Excellence in Advocacy, 1997
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 3/28/2017This year, 54 Vorys attorneys were listed in the 2017 Columbus CEO “Top Lawyers” List.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 10/10/2017Vorys partner Allen Rutz spoke at the 2017 Ohio Transportation Engineering Conference (OTEC) on October 10, 2017. He spoke about the evolution of engineering ethics.
- 4/27/2016Vorys attorneys Colleen Laux, Allen Rutz and Beth Weinewuth were speakers at the All-Ohio Legal Forum hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association on April 27-29, 2016.
- 3/29/2016Vorys Partner Allen Rutz will be a speaker at the Ohio Engineering Law and Ethics Seminar hosted by Half Moon Education on March 29, 2016.
- 11/6/2014Vorys partner Allen Rutz was a speaker at the 2014 Fall CPD Conference hosted by the Ohio Society of Professional Engineers on November 6, 2014.
- 12/11/2013Vorys partner Allen Rutz presented at a CLE Seminar for the Ohio State Bar Association on December 11.
- 8/10/2016Supreme Courts in two more states, Iowa and New Jersey, have recently ruled that CGL insurance provides coverage for damage to the completed project itself caused by defective work of subcontractors.