- Energy and Utilities
- Labor and Employment
- Capital University Law School, J.D., 2001, cum laude
- University of Michigan, B.S., 1989
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
Mike is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the energy group. He advises clients in utility and energy matters, including litigation before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, the Ohio Power Siting Board, and the Ohio Oil and Gas Commission. In addition to Mike’s regulatory and litigation practice, he regularly advises clients on matters related to the supply of energy services from the competitive market, including generation supply from renewable energy resources. He also advises clients on matters involving the Ohio Building Code and regularly appears before the Ohio Board of Building Appeals.
Career highlights include:
- Successfully representing clients in obtaining PUCO approval of special contracts with local electric distribution utilities
- Successfully representing a developer before the Ohio Power Siting Board in obtaining the first construction permit issued for a wind farm in the State of Ohio including defending the permit issuance before the Supreme Court of Ohio
- Advising clients on midstream pipeline and natural gas processing projects including permitting and regulatory matters, plant electric service and road use maintenance agreements
- Assisting clients in obtaining approvals from the Ohio Power Siting Board for multiple projects totaling over 3,200 megawatts of electric generation capacity
- Eleven years of project engineering and operations management experience, including design and construction of large capital projects
Mike is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association, the Ohio Oil and Gas Association, the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, the Energy and Mineral Law Foundation, and the Marcellus Shale Coalition.
Mike has spoken at seminars on various topics relating to mineral interest conflicts, road use maintenance agreements, gas gathering and processing agreements, oil and gas permit appeals, and induced seismicity.
Mike received his J.D. cum laude from Capital University Law School and his B.S. in chemical engineering from the University of Michigan.
Professional and Community Activities
- ARC Industries, Inc., Board of Trustees, 2003-2013; Chairman, 2006-2007
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Energy Law, 2013-2019
- Abbott Laboratories Chairman's Award, 1996, 1999
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 2/6/2017On January 31, Vorys Advisors hosted a forum titled “The Future of Ohio’s Energy.”
- 2/1/2017The inaugural Vorys and Vorys Advisors Energy Summit was highlighted in two news stories.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 1/2/2013Vorys announced that Matthew E. Albers, Tiffany Bingham Briscoe, Daniel J. Clark, Whitney C. Gibson, Robert J. Krummen, Christina M. Lyons, Joseph B. Mann, Timothy B. McGranor, Adam L. Miller, Ariel A. Mullin, William H. Oldach, III, Nicholas M.J. Ray, and Michael J. Settineri have been named partners of the firm.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 6/10/2019Vorys Partners Phil Downey, Sheila Nolan Gartland and Mike Settineri presented at the 40th Annual Institute Energy & Mineral Law Foundation on June 10, 2019.
- 5/21/2019Vorys Partner Mike Settineri spoke at the Energy Forum for the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) on May 21, 2019.
- 10/17/2018Vorys attorneys Phil Downey, Mike Settineri and Wes Abrams presented at the Kentucky Mineral Law Conference in Lexington, Kentucky on October 17, 2018.
- 1/31/2017Vorys advisors Matt Hammond, Tom Neihaus, Todd Snitchler and Zack Space and Vorys attorneys Greg Russell and Mike Settineri were speakers at the Future of Ohio's Energy Summit on January 31, 2017.
- 10/22/2015Vorys Partner Michael Settineri presented at the Kentucky Mineral Law Conference hosted by the Energy and Mineral Law Foundation on October 22, 2015.
- 3/14/2014Vorys attorneys Greg Russell and Michael Settineri presented at the 29th Annual Ohio Environment, Energy and Resources Law Seminar hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association on March 14, 2014.
- 11/21/2013Vorys attorneys Greg Russell, Mike Settineri, Kristin Watt, Tim McGranor and Jon Airey presented at the Northern Appalachian Landman’s Association Seminar on November 21.
- 3/23/2018The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) recently rolled out a new system, called the “PUCO Community,” that must be used for submitting annual reports and eventually it will have additional uses.
- 3/23/2016Oil and Gas Alert: Bankruptcy Court Issues Opinion Allowing the Rejection of Certain Midstream AgreementsOn March 8, 2016, a New York Bankruptcy Court issued a bench decision in the Sabine Oil & Gas Corporation Chapter 11 case. The Court’s decision concerning a producer’s request to reject certain portions of its midstream agreements has sent shockwaves through the oil and gas industry.
- 6/7/2012At the governor's request, Senate Bill 315 was introduced in the Ohio Senate on March 22, 2012. After significant revisions, Senate Bill 315 passed the Ohio Senate on May 15, 2012.
- Fall 2001