Labor and Employment
- Employer Internal Investigations
- Employment Litigation
Employment Relations, Policies, and Regulatory Practice
- Covenants Not to Compete and Trade Secrets
- Drug and Alcohol Policies and Testing
- Employee Discipline and Termination
- Employment Counseling
- Employment Policies and Manuals
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Management Training
- Wage and Hour/Fair Labor Standards Act
- Whistleblower Protection
- Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act ("WARN")
- Workplace Harassment, Including Sexual Harassment
- Labor/Management Relations
- Workplace Safety
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1983, magna cum laude
Georgetown Law Journal, Editor, 1983
- Amherst College, B.A., 1979, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Andy is a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the labor and employment group. He represents employers in state and federal court employment litigation and in agency proceedings. He also counsels employers on issues pertaining to the ADA, the FMLA, employment discrimination, reductions-in-force, terminations, severance agreements and other aspects of the employer-employee relationship.
Andy also represents self-insured and state-funded employers in workers' compensation matters before the Industrial Commission of Ohio and the trial and appellate courts of Ohio. His work in the area of workers' compensation also includes defense of safety violation claims and intentional tort claims.
Career highlights include:
- 33 years of litigation experience in state and federal court and before administrative agencies
- 30 years of experience representing employers before the Industrial Commission of Ohio and in the courts on a broad range of workers' compensation issues
Andy is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, and the Cincinnati Bar Association.
Andy has given presentations on multiple employment-related topics and on workers' compensation issues including claims management and defense, violations of specific safety requirements, and intentional torts.
Andy received his J.D. magna cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center, where he was an editor of the Georgetown Law Journal. He received his B.A. from Amherst College, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Cincinnati Workers Compensation Law - Employers "Lawyer of the Year," 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Workers' Compensation Law - Employers, 2013-2019
- Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, Employment and Labor, November 2010
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Employment and Labor, 2008-2009
- Volunteer Lawyer of the Year Award, Volunteer Lawyers for the Poor Foundation, 2006
- Outstanding Service Award for Pro Bono Service, United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 1996
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 6/13/2018Andy Kaplan, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the labor and employment group, was a guest on WVXU’s Cincinnati edition on June 11, 2018.
- 8/17/2017Twenty Vorys attorneys have been named 2018 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers. Each year, only a single lawyer in each specialty in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year.”
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 7/1/2016Andy Kaplan, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the labor and employment group, spoke with the Cincinnati Enquirer about Ohio’s new medical marijuana law and the impact that it will have on Ohio employers.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 7/27/2015Kaplan Featured on WVXU’s Cincinnati Edition Show Titled “25 Years of the ADA - The History And Current Interpretation”Andy Kaplan, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the labor and employment group, was a guest on WVXU’s Cincinnati Edition.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 2/9/2014Kaplan profiled in SoapBox Cincinnati Story Titled “Downtown Lawyer Recruits 22 New Tutors for Be The Change”Andrew Kaplan, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the labor and employment group, was profiled in the SoapBox Cincinnati "For Good" section. The story highlighted Kaplan’s time tutoring Cincinnati public school students and his successful tutor recruitment efforts.
- 1/14/2014Andrew Kaplan, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and member of the labor and employment group, was a guest on the Fox19 Moore Law Show. Kaplan, who represents employers in workers’ compensation matters, discussed workers’ compensation issues with the show’s hosts.
- 12/19/2013Andrew Kaplan, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and member of the labor and employment group, spoke with Jim Scott on 700WLW radio about the strategies employers should have in place if they are using social media to learn more about potential employees.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 6/20/2013Kaplan Quoted in Cincinnati Business Courier Story Titled “Could the Obese Become a Protected Class?”Andrew Kaplan, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the labor and employment group, was quoted in a Cincinnati Business Courier story regarding the American Medical Association’s decision to classify obesity as a disease. The story highlighted the potential implications this decision could have on employers.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 9/7/2018On September 7, 2018, Vorys hosted the annual Workers’ Compensation Client Briefing in Columbus, Ohio.
- 8/27/2018Vorys attorneys Mike Griffaton and Andy Kaplan presented at the 2018 International Association of Official Human Rights Agencies Annual Conference on August 27, 2018.
- 4/26/2018On April 26, 2018, Vorys hosted its annual Cincinnati Labor and Employment Update.
- 4/27/2017Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP hosted the Cincinnati Labor and Employment Law Update on April 27, 2017.
- 9/9/2016Vorys attorneys Dan Balmert, Corrine Carman, Margaret Everett, Scott Jamieson, Andrew Kaplan, Ted Mattis, Buz Minor, Brad Sinnott, Carl Smallwood, Elizabeth Smith, Ken Stump, Jerry Webbs and Rosemary Welsh were speakers at the annual Vorys Workers' Compensation Annual Client Briefing on September 9, 2016.
- 4/21/2016Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP and the Ohio Chamber of Commerce hosted a half-day program focused on labor and employment updates.
- 11/24/2015Vorys Partner Andy Kaplan presented a legal update at the Home Builders Association of Greater Cincinnati on November 24, 2015.
- 4/29/2015Vorys presented a Labor & Employment Update on April 29, 2015. The program was titled “Managing the New Landscape of the Workplace.”
- 4/24/2014Several Vorys attorneys presented at the firm’s annual Cincinnati Labor and Employment Law Update on April 24, 2014.
- 4/25/2013Vorys attorneys Steve Miller, Andy Kaplan, Angela Rapp, Brad Gibson, Jon Vaughn, Linda Mendel, and Jim Patrick presented the Cincinnati Labor and Employment Law Update 2013 on April 25.
- 4/12/2012Several Vorys attorneys spoke at the firm's annual Cincinnati Labor and Employment Law Update on April 12.
- 7/2/2018On June 26, 2018, voters in Oklahoma approved a ballot initiative to legalize medical marijuana (which remains illegal under federal law).
- 8/4/2017Massachusetts law already protects employees from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry and veteran status.
- 7/27/2017Labor and Employment Alert: Massachusetts High Court Requires Reasonable Accommodation for Medical Marijuana UsersIn July 2017, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court issued a landmark decision that medical marijuana users are entitled to reasonable accommodation and may pursue handicap discrimination claims under Massachusetts law.
- 10/14/2016Andy Kaplan, a partner in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the labor and employment group, authored an article for the Cincinnati Business Courier titled “Political Speech in the Workplace.”
- 8/19/2016Labor and Employment Alert: New Massachusetts Pay Equity Law: Equal Pay for Comparable Work (But Not Until 2018)In July 2016, Massachusetts joined California, Maryland and New York in enacting an expansive equal pay law.
- 8/2/2016Labor and Employment Alert: Workers’ Compensation Retaliation Does Not Require a Workplace Injury Under Ohio LawOhio Workers’ Compensation law prohibits employers from retaliating against employees who seek workers’ compensation benefits.
- 5/2/2016It’s been said that politics makes strange bedfellows as illustrated by the efforts at “legalizing” marijuana use in Ohio (marijuana use and possession remain illegal under federal law).
- 2/16/2016In January 2016, Cincinnati became the first city in Ohio to enact a law prohibiting “wage theft” and “payroll fraud” in city contracts. The ordinance applies to city contracts in excess of $25,000, including those involving community reinvestment area tax abatements, job creation tax credits, commercial loans, and conveyances of land for less than fair market value.