- University of Southern California Law School, J.D., 1999
- Southern California Law Review, senior editor, 1998-1999
- Rice University, B.A., 1996, magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Heather is a partner in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the litigation group. She focuses her practice on commercial litigation and corporate counseling, and regularly represents and advises clients on oil and gas, trade secret and non-compete, and transportation and logistics matters. In addition to representing clients at trial and on appeal, Heather also has extensive arbitration experience before the AAA, ICDR, NASD, FINRA, JAMS and other arbitral forums.
Her notable experience includes:
- Leading arbitration team that successfully represented operator before ICDR in a dispute concerning UOA operating rights over $1 billion project in the Gulf of Mexico
- Defending a publicly traded company on $27 million lost profit and unfair competition claims, leading to dismissal at the pleading stage
- Representing and advising global freight management and contract logistics company on commercial matters throughout the country, including matters concerning contract, real estate, customer and vendor issues
- Defending international oil and gas company against preferential transfer and fraud claims in adversary proceeding
- Advising clients on corporate strategy surrounding transactional and litigation functions of the organization
- Prosecuting and defending claims against companies and individuals for trade secret misappropriation and related statutory and tort violations, in state and federal courts
- Defending international oil and gas exploration and production company against claims of breach of operating agreements and leases stemming from an environmental legacy litigation lawsuit
- Defending employers in labor and employment matters, including discrimination, retaliation, harassment, non-compete, and wage and hour issues
- Representing claimants and respondents in arbitration in a wide variety of matters involving claims of sales practice violations, securities fraud, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, non-compete violations and other employment issues
Heather is a member of the Houston Bar Association’s Securities Litigation and Arbitration Section and the Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section.
Heather received her J.D. from the University of Southern California Law School, where she was a member of the Order of the Coif and senior editor of the Southern California Law Review. She received her B.A. magna cum laude from Rice University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Women’s Energy Network, Member
- Transportation & Logistics Council, Member
- Houston Bar Association, Securities and Arbitration Section
- Houston Bar Association, Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section
- State Bar of California, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- 12/16/2014Vorys announced that nine trial lawyers, with diverse civil litigation backgrounds, will join the firm’s Houston office. The attorneys will start at the firm on January 5. Their arrival continues the firm’s expansion in Houston and strengthens Vorys nationally recognized litigation and energy groups.
- 12/8/2020Vorys partner Heather Kabele presented a CLE titled “Arbitration and Arbitration Provisions” to BP on December 8, 2020 as part of the BP Legal CLE Training Camp.
- 5/5/2020Vorys partner Heather Kabele gave a presentation titled “Planes, Trains and Automobiles – Liability for Shipping” on June 5, 2020 as part of the Houston Bar Association’s CLE Seminar Series.
- 1/17/2019Vorys attorneys Heather Kabele, Tony O’Malley and Raj Adlakha presented an Ethics CLE titled “Corporate Communications: Problems, Pitfalls and Ethical Considerations” to BP on January 17, 2019 as part of the BP Legal CLE Training Camp.
- 8/22/2017Vorys partner Heather Kabele gave a presentation titled "Trade Secrets Update: Texas Supreme Court Raises Bar for Lost Profits Damages Again" to the Texas Bar Association on August 22, 2017.
- 11/24/2015Heather Kabele, a partner in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the litigation group, authored an article for International Law360 titled “FinCEN Expands Data Collection Geography Beyond Banking.”
- 6/5/2015Heather Kabele, a partner in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the litigation group, authored an article for the Journal of Commerce titled “Treasury Targets Electronics Exporters, Carriers in Miami.”