Hosted by Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
Vorys hosted the program Substance Abuse and Mental Health: Science, Policy and the Legal Profession on December 3, 2016.
The program addressed:
- Why lawyers are particularly susceptible to substance abuse and mental health problems
- The nature of addictive illness and how it starts
- The scope of the opiate epidemic, treatment protocols, and supply reduction vs. demand reduction
- What to look for when you suspect your colleague may have substance abuse problems or is dealing with mental health issues
- How other professional communities, such as physicians, address impairment issues.
- How impairment affects the lawyer, and the lawyer’s family, colleagues, and clients
- Ways that firms can identify and mitigate issues caused by impaired lawyers
- The humanitarian, ethical, and business reasons for firms to address these issues and some suggestions for how to do so effectively
Our speakers included the former President and CEO of Maryhaven, who is also an attorney, and the former President of the Franklin County Alcohol, Drug Addiction, and Mental Health Services Board, who has a PhD.