- College of William and Mary Law School, J.D., 2017
- Cleveland State University, B.A., 2014, summa cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Mairi is an associate in the Vorys Pittsburgh office and a member of the health care group. In her practice, Mairi regularly assists clients across the health care industry in achieving and maintaining compliance with complex regulatory schemes, including those governing licensure, patient confidentiality, and Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement. She also serves as an advocate in a wide range of administrative proceedings and civil litigation, including medical malpractice defense and overpayment appeals.
Mairi received her J.D. from the College of William and Mary Law School, where she served on the William and Mary Environmental Law and Policy Review. She received her B.A. summa cum laude from Cleveland State University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Mental Health America of Franklin County, Board Member, 2018
- Volunteer attorney, Operation Legal Help Ohio, 2017-present
- 10/27/2017Vorys welcomed 12 new first-year associates to the firm.
- 11/20/2019On Wednesday, November 20, 2019, Vorys attorneys Matt Albers and Mairi Mull will be presenting a complimentary webinar titled, “What Keeps Jill Up at Night? A General Overview of Health Care Compliance.”
- 10/18/20192019: Presentation to the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Ohio and to the Association on Higher Education and Disability in OhioVorys Attorneys Erin French, Elizabeth T. Smith and Mairi Mull spoke at the Ohio Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD) Conference on October 18, 2019.
- 10/9/2019Vorys Attorneys Jonathan Ishee and Mairi Mull presented at a complimentary webinar titled, “Apps, Access, and the Opioid Crisis: A Patient Confidentiality Update” on October 9, 2019.
- 9/24/2019Vorys Attorneys Mairi Mull and Liam Gruzs participated in a regional training hosted by Ohio Recovery Housing on September 24, 2019.
- 8/30/2019Vorys Attorneys Mairi Mull and Liam Gruzs participated in a regional training hosted by Ohio Recovery Housing on August 30, 2019.
- 8/21/2019Attorneys Robin Amicon, David Edelstein, Mairi Mull and Kristin Watt held a webinar titled “New Rules for the Management of Hazardous Waste Pharmaceuticals are Effective…Now What?”on August 21, 2019.
- 8/16/2019Vorys Attorneys Mairi Mull and Liam Gruzs participated in a regional training hosted by Ohio Recovery Housing on August 16, 2019.
- 7/29/2019Vorys Attorneys Mairi Mull and Liam Gruzs participated in a regional training hosted by Ohio Recovery Housing on July 29, 2019.
- 7/24/2019Vorys Attorneys Mairi Mull and Liam Gruzs participated in a regional training hosted by Ohio Recovery Housing on July 24, 2019.
- 6/19/2019Dazed and Confused: Regulatory Uncertainty Around Cannabis in Ohio and What You Need to Know to Evaluate Your RiskPartners Jolie Havens and Elizabeth T. Smith and associate Mairi Mull held a webinar on June 19, 2019. Together they discussed the current status of state and federal law in relation to cannabis.
- 5/1/2019Vorys attorneys Robin Amicon, Nelson Cary and Mairi Mull presented at the 2019 Ohio Health Care Association (OHCA) Convention and Expo on May 1, 2019.
- 4/1/2019Vorys Attorneys Liam Gruzs and Mairi Mull spoke at the 2019 Ohio Recovery Housing Annual Conference on April 1, 2019.
- 7/27/2018On July 27, 2018, Vorys attorneys Liam Gruzs and Mairi Mull presented at the Addiction Studies Institute.
- 5/7/2018Nine Vorys attorneys presented at The Ohio Council of Behavioral Health & Family Services Providers Compliance Training on May 7, 2018.
- 5/2/2018Vorys attorneys Lisa Reisz, Robin Amicon and Mairi Mull were speakers at the 2018 OHCA Annual Convention and Expo on May 2-3, 2018.
- 12/7/2017Vorys attorneys Lisa Reisz, Liam Gruzs and Mairi Mull presented the final webinar of their HIPAA Series on December 7, 2017.
- 11/6/2019On October 31, 2019, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) published in the Federal Register an interim final rule which – as required by last December’s Agricultural Improvement Act of 2018 (popularly known as the “2018 Farm Bill”)
- 9/16/2019Health Care Alert: Medicare and Medicaid Providers to Face New “Affiliation” Reporting Requirements, Expanded Revocation AuthoritiesOn September 10, 2019, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) published a final rule with comment period establishing new requirements for Medicare- and Medicaid providers to disclose “affiliations” with other providers and suppliers.
- 7/31/2019On July 30, 2019, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine signed a new law legalizing and regulating “hemp,” defined as cannabis and derivatives thereof with no more than 0.3% tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) concentration on a dry weight basis.
- 6/4/2019Health Care Alert: Ohio EPA Undertakes Rulemaking to Adopt New Federal Standards for Management of Hazardous Pharmaceutical Waste by Ohio’s Health Care IndustryOhio’s health care industry will soon take on significant new obligations with respect to the management of hazardous pharmaceutical waste, pursuant to a federal rule being implemented by Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- 5/3/2019Health Care Alert: HHS Exercises Enforcement Discretion to Reduce Maximum Annual Penalties for HIPAA BreachesOn April 30, 2019, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) published a notification of enforcement discretion in the Federal Register revising the maximum annual penalty amounts for breaches under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
- 4/22/2019Health Care Alert: Conviction of Texas Doctors, Surgeons and Health Care Executives Raises Important New Fraud and Abuse Considerations for ProvidersOn April 9, 2019, federal jurors in the Northern District of Texas returned a guilty verdict against seven doctors, surgeons, and health care executives accused of participating in a $200 million bribery and kickback scheme at Forest Park Medical Center (FPMC), a physician-owned hospital in Dallas.
- 4/3/2019Health Care Alert: FDA Announces Public Hearing to Inform Regulatory Next Steps with Respect to CBD ProductsOn April 3, 2019, the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) published a notice in the Federal Register (available in full here) announcing a public hearing and related comment period regarding stakeholders’ experience with products containing the cannabis derivative cannabidiol, popularly known as “CBD.”
- 3/27/2019Health Care Alert: Senate Panel Hears Concerns that ONC’s Proposed “Interoperability” Rule Could Expose New Cybersecurity Risks; Comments Due May 3, 2019On March 26, 2019, the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor & Pensions held a hearing to evaluate a rule proposed by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology ) to implement certain provisions of the 21st Century Cures Act (related to health information technology.
- 2/6/2019Health Care Alert: HHS Aims to Reduce Prescription Drug Prices Through Proposed Changes to the Anti-Kickback Statute’s Safe Harbors; Comments Due April 8, 2019On February 6, 2019, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) published a proposed rule that would amend the “Discounts” safe harbor under the Anti-Kickback Statute and create two new safe harbors respectively protecting “Point-of-Sale Reductions in Price for Prescription Pharmaceutical Products” and “PBM Service Fees.”
- 12/21/2018Client Alert: 2018 “Farm Bill” Creates New Opportunities for Patients, Producers of Hemp-Derived CBDOn December 20, 2018, President Trump signed the Agricultural Improvement Act of 2018, popularly known as the “Farm Bill” of 2018, into law.
- 11/5/2018The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) recently published two rules designed to promote the use of telehealth and remote patient monitoring (RPM) under the Medicare program.
- 10/22/2018Health Care Alert: CMS Clarifications to Medicare Requirements for Inpatient Admission Orders Reflect Promising Development for HospitalsEffective October 1, 2018, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) implemented important changes to the Medicare Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS) affecting the documentation of hospital inpatient admissions.
- 9/18/2018On September 11, 2018, the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) published proposed revisions to the administrative rules establishing its approved Do-Not-Resuscitate (DNR) Order form and protocol.
- 8/1/2018Health Care Alert: CMS Proposes New Reimbursement Cuts for 2019 Medicare OPPS – Comments Due September 24On July 31, 2018, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) published its proposed changes to the Medicare hospital outpatient prospective payment system (OPPS) and the Medicare ambulatory surgical center (ASC) payment system for calendar year 2019.
- 7/13/2018A U.S. House Subcommittee recently held a hearing to discuss potential reforms to the Medicaid 340B program. Although it remains unclear exactly what will come of these discussions, here are the top three changes 340B providers should watch for.
- 6/26/2018On June 25, 2018, the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the first drug derived from the cannabis sativa plant, commonly known as marijuana.
- 2/9/2018The Bipartisan Budget Act of 2018 (the act), signed into law by President Trump on February 9, 2018 includes provisions that more than double the penalties to which health care providers may be subject under the federal health care fraud and abuse laws.