Labor and Employment
- Employment Litigation
Employment Relations, Policies, and Regulatory Practice
- Drug and Alcohol Policies and Testing
- Employee Discipline and Termination
- Employment Counseling
- Employment Policies and Manuals
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Management Training
- Whistleblower Protection
- Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act ("WARN")
- Workplace Harassment, Including Sexual Harassment
- Workplace Safety
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1975, cum laude
- Duke University, A.B., 1970
Bar & Court Admissions
Buz is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the labor and employment law group. He devotes the majority of his practice to matters involving occupational safety and health and disability management.
Career highlights include:
- Serving as president of the National Council of Self-Insurers
- Representing and advising major employers nationally in matters involving occupational safety and health and disability management
Buz is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association.
Buz has lectured on occupational safety and health and disability management to multiple groups including the National Council of Self-Insurers, the Ohio Self-Insurers Association, the Ohio State Bar Association’s Continuing Legal Education Institute, The Midwest Labor Law Conference, and the Safety Congress of the Bureau of Workers’ Compensation.
Buz received his J.D. cum laude from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law and his A.B. from Duke University.
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2018
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Workers’ Compensation, 2004-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Columbus Workers' Compensation Law - Employers "Lawyer of the Year," 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America, Workers’ Compensation Law, 1995-2019
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 1990
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 12/5/2017Vorys is pleased to announce that 56 attorneys from the firm have been named 2018 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/17/2017Twenty Vorys attorneys have been named 2018 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers. Each year, only a single lawyer in each specialty in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year.”
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 3/28/2017This year, 54 Vorys attorneys were listed in the 2017 Columbus CEO “Top Lawyers” List.
- 12/2/2016Vorys is pleased to announce that 58 attorneys from the firm have been named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/15/2016One-hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017.
- 12/2/2015Vorys is pleased to announce that 63 attorneys from the firm have been named 2016 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/17/2015One-hundred and eighteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016.
- 12/3/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that 74 attorneys from the firm have been named 2015 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 12/17/2012Seventy-Seven attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease have been named 2013 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 9/7/2018On September 7, 2018, Vorys hosted the annual Workers’ Compensation Client Briefing in Columbus, Ohio.
- 9/9/2016Vorys attorneys Dan Balmert, Corrine Carman, Margaret Everett, Scott Jamieson, Andrew Kaplan, Ted Mattis, Buz Minor, Brad Sinnott, Carl Smallwood, Elizabeth Smith, Ken Stump, Jerry Webbs and Rosemary Welsh were speakers at the annual Vorys Workers' Compensation Annual Client Briefing on September 9, 2016.
- 3/17/2016Vorys Partner Buz Minor was a speaker at the Operational Excellence & Sustainability Committee Meeting hosted by the Ohio Chemistry Technology Council on March 17, 2016.
- 6/23/2015Vorys attorneys John Keller, Buz Minor, Pete Lusenhop and Dick Schwartz were speakers at the Energy and Mineral Law Foundation 36th Annual Institute on June 23, 2015.
- 6/17/2015Vorys Partner Buz Minor was a speaker at the Ohio Self-Insurers Association’s 41st Annual Conference on June 17, 2015.
- 6/1/2015Vorys Partner Buz Minor was a speaker at the National Council of Self Insurers 2015 Annual Conference on June 1, 2015.
- 4/10/2015Vorys Partner Buz Minor was a speaker at the Ohio State Bar Associations Basic Workers’ Compensation Law 2015: From the Beginning to the Practice Use on April 10, 2015.
- 10/14/2014Vorys Partner Buz Minor was a speaker at the Workers’ Compensation Issues for the Ohio Employment Lawyer webinar hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association on October 14, 2014.
- 11/18/2013Vorys partner Buz Minor was a speaker at the Ohio State University’s Introduction to Employer Liability Issues for Biomechanical Engineering Students on November 4, 2013.
- 10/30/2013Vorys partner Buz Minor presented Working with the OSHA Area Office and What OSHA Expects of an Employer on October 30, 2013.
- 10/25/2013Vorys partner Buz Minor presented at the Nuts & Bolts Workers’ Compensation Educational Seminar on October 25, 2013.
- 10/24/2013Vorys partner Buz Minor presented at the West Virginia Self-Insurers Association Annual Conference on October 24, 2013.
- 10/10/2013Vorys partner Buz Minor presented at the seminar, What Every Employment Lawyer Needs to Know About Employer Liability Law on October 10, 2013.
- 4/10/2013Vorys partner Buz Minor spoke at the Basics of Employment Law Seminar on April 10, 2013. His presentation was titled, Workers’ Compensation Issues for the Ohio Employment Lawyer, and discussed basic concepts of Ohio workers’ compensation law and various forms of compensation available to the injured worker.
- 9/21/2012Several Vorys attorneys presented at the invitation-only Best Practices in Ohio Workers' Compensation Client Briefing on September 21.
- 6/20/2012Vorys partner Buz Minor spoke at the Ohio Self-Insurers' Association 28th Annual Conference on June 20-22.
- 6/4/2012Vorys partner Buz Minor participated in the National Council of Self-Insurers Annual Meeting on June 4.
- 4/11/2012Vorys partner Buz Minor participated in the Ohio State Bar Association’s Basics of Employment Law seminar on April 11.
- 9/20/2017On June 30, Governor Kasich signed Sub. H.B. 27, the BWC Budget Bill. As its title suggests, the legislation approved funding for the Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation (BWC).
- 8/2/2016Labor and Employment Alert: Workers’ Compensation Retaliation Does Not Require a Workplace Injury Under Ohio LawOhio Workers’ Compensation law prohibits employers from retaliating against employees who seek workers’ compensation benefits.
- 7/25/2016On May 12, 2016, the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) amended its recordkeeping rules. While the amendment did not change the basics of recordkeeping, OSHA announced three significant initiatives.
- 3/14/2016Internal Investigations of Well Site Events: Observations on Common Practical, Legal and Ethical IssuesDick Schwartz, a partner in the Vorys Houston office and Buz Minor, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, authored an article titled “Internal Investigations of Well Site Events: Observations on Common Practical, Legal and Ethical Issues” for the 36th Annual Energy & Mineral Law Institute.
- 11/12/2015The federal bipartisan budget contained a little-noticed provision entitled the Federal Civil Penalties Inflation Adjustment Act Improvements Act. This Act requires the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) to increase its monetary penalties for the first time since 1990.
- 11/5/2015In October 2015, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) announced that it will soon issue a final rule concerning safety incentive programs that reward employees for low accident levels.
- 12/22/2014Labor and Employment Alert: OSHA Updates Recordkeeping Rule for Reporting Fatalities and Severe InjuriesEffective January 1, 2015, employers with facilities located in states subject to federal OSHA jurisdiction will have new reporting requirements. Previously, employers were required to report all work related fatalities and work related hospitalizations of three or more employees within eight hours of the event.
- 9/12/2013OSHA’s proposed silica rule, supported by 800 pages of background information and scientific literature, was published in the Federal Register on September 12, 2013. The comment period, which commences with this date of publication will last 90 days (i.e., until December 11, 2013). Hearings will begin on March 4, 2014.
- 7/24/2013Client Alert: NIOSH Studies Worker Exposure to Silica During Hydraulic Fracturing and Issues An AlertThe Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), in collaboration with the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), has issued a "Hazard Alert" for the oil and gas industry regarding worker exposure to crystalline silica. The alert merits the attention of all who are involved with hydraulic fracturing operations.
- 7/25/2012Labor and Employment Alert: Ohio Industrial Commission Issues Policy Changing Hearing Continuance ProcessOn Tuesday, July 10, 2012, the chairman of the Ohio Industrial Commission issued a notice of changes being implemented in the policy regarding hearing continuances and hearing procedures via the publication of a temporary IC Resolution, effective from July 11, 2012 through September 8, 2012.
- 5/2/2011Labor and Employment Alert: Supplemental e-Alert Regarding GINA: How Employers Can Protect Themselves Regarding Workers' Compensation Requests for Medical InformationThe impact of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act ("GINA") of 2008 upon workers’ compensation requests for medical information is not entirely clear from the regulations in Title II and the explanatory notes in the Preamble to the regulations
- June 2006