- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., 2009
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., 2006
Bar & Court Admissions
Nick is an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group. His practice focuses on the acquisition, sale, financing and development of apartments, nursing homes and assisted living facilities across the country. This work includes extensive experience in market-rate and affordable housing transactions insured by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Many transactions Nick handles involve projects with multiple layers of debt and low-income housing tax credits. He also has significant experience with balance sheet loans and bridge financing for lenders that hope to eventually finance a project with a HUD-insured loan.
- Closing hundreds of HUD-insured financing transactions including projects involving tax-exempt bonds, tax credits, TIFs, state and municipal agency grants and loans, and other credit and subsidy facilities.
- Working with owners and operators of nursing homes and assisted living facilities in various states in the acquisition, sale, financing and construction thereof, the transfer of operations related thereto and the assumption of related HUD-insured loans.
- Representation of the permanent lender in the closing of a $26 million construction loan for the substantial rehabilitation of a 300-unit senior housing complex in Portland, Oregon. The financing package included tax-exempt bonds, low-income housing tax credits, an equity bridge loan, grants from the State of Oregon and other rental and financing subsidies. The funding preserved long-term rent affordability for the residents projected to be worth $144 million over 40 years.
- Representation of a lender providing HUD-insured acquisition financing for the simultaneous purchase of 23 nursing home, assisted living and memory care facilities located in throughout Wisconsin and Minnesota.
- Representation of lender providing bridge acquisition financing, HUD-insured refinancing and multiple supplemental construction loans for a large continuing care retirement community in Northeastern Ohio.
Nick received his J.D. from the University of Cincinnati and received his B.A. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Professional and Community Activities
- Tutor at Hayes-Porter Elementary, 2014 – Present
- Bacchanalian Society of Cincinnati, Board Member and General Counsel, 2012 – 2015