- The Ohio State University, B.S., Primary Education, 1977
- The Institute for Paralegal Training, Corporate Law Certificate, 1978
Joan is an intellectual property and business paralegal in the Vorys Columbus office.
Her intellectual property experience includes domestic and international intellectual property prosecution, protection, mark use and packaging review, license administration, and world-wide portfolio management and maintenance.
She also has extensive experience with transactional matters, such as mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, business tax restructurings, commercial bond financings, real property transactions and secured commercial transactions under the Uniform Commercial Code. Joan's work also includes securities research, compliance and disclosure under the Securities acts of 1933 and 1934, federal corporate tax disclosure preparations, corporate document management, compliance and records maintenance.
Joan is involved in the coordination and implementation of customizations to database programs and other technologies to facilitate efficient document and data management. She is the administrator for corporate records/information and intellectual property programs.
Joan, since 1987, has been a co-instructor and guest lecturer in the areas of business law, securities compliance and intellectual property for the Capital University Law School Paralegal Program, Columbus State University, the Columbus Bar Association, and regional paralegal associations. She also served Capital University Law School Paralegal Program in curriculum development with the business and intellectual property courses.
Joan has authored articles on the topics of paralegal professional growth, regulation and education for various professional paralegal newsletters and The Daily Reporter.
- Development and Use of Extranets
- E-Filing (TEAS)
- Notary Public
- Power Point
- Uniform Commercial Code (Electronic Search and Filing)
Professional and Community Activities
- Business Advisory Committee to Ohio Secretary of State Taft, 1991-1998, Ohio Secretary of State Blackwell, 1999-2006, and Ohio Secretary of State Brunner, 2007-2010.
- International Trademark Association, Member and host of various Roundtable and Workshop programs, 1990-present.
- The Paralegal Association of Central Ohio, Primary Representative to the National Federation of Paralegals, 1989, President and Secondary Representative to the National Federation of Paralegals, 1988; Executive Board Member and Parliamentarian, 1986 and 1987, Committee on Regulation, Co-Chair, 1985.
- North American Securities Administrator’s Association, Associate Member, Network Directory Coordinator and Paralegal Education Track Committee Chair. 1987-1989.
- Scioto Ridge United Methodist Church, Council Member, Confirmation Instructor, VBS Curriculum Coordinator and Founder of pre-teen outreach program, D.E.T.O.U.R., 1983-present.
- Girl Scouts, Volunteer and Co-Leader, 1984-2009.
Honors & Awards
- Seal of Ohio Girl Scout Council, Hilliard, Ohio Service Unit, Outstanding Volunteer Award, 2003
- 10/28/2013Specifics about copyright and fair use can be complicated. In this easy-to-navigate chart, we clarify 10 of the most common misconceptions regarding copyright and fair use.
- 9/24/2013The domain world as we know it is about to change. Currently, there are about 24 top-level domains (tld). These are the portion of a web address that appears after the "dot" such as .com or .org. However, there are 1,409 new possibilities on the horizon and an infinite number of future tlds.
- 5/20/2013“Use” of a trademark or service mark under U.S. trademark law is often misunderstood. Even the best-intended trademark owners encounter unexpected, sometimes fatal, barriers in their attempts to register their marks and maintain their registrations.