- South Texas College of Law, J.D., 2010, cum laude
- University of Massachusetts, B.A., 2007, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
- Honorable Joseph “Tad” Halbach, 333rd Civil District Court of Harris County, Texas, 2008-2010
Dave is an associate in the Houston office and member of the litigation group. His practice involves a broad array of commercial matters, including breach of contract, fraud and breach of fiduciary claims, and deceptive trade allegations across a number of industries. He handles all aspects of litigation, from pre-suit investigations, discovery, and motion practice, to mediation and settlement negotiations, trials, and appeals.
In addition to his litigation practice, Dave regularly advises clients and provides coverage opinions on indemnity and insurance issues in construction and pipeline projects. He also drafts and negotiates master service agreements for work performed in the energy industry.
Prior to joining Vorys, Dave represented lawyers and real estate brokers in professional negligence and fiduciary duty litigation, and represented lawyers in grievance proceedings before the State Bar of Texas. He has also represented clients throughout state and federal courts and in arbitrations on matters involving complex commercial disputes, catastrophic injury claims, labor and employment issues, and insurance coverage claims. He has also handled civil appeals at all levels in the State of Texas.
- CMA-CGM (Am.) Inc. v. Empire Truck Lines, Inc., 416 S.W.3d 495 (Tex. App.—Houston [1st Dist.] 2014, pet. denied) (affirming summary judgment applying Texas transportation anti-indemnity statute).
- Valdivieso v. Wal-Mart Stores Tex., LLC., NO. H-11-0209, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 48182 (S.D. Tex. May 4, 2011).
- Am. Gen. Life Ins. Co. v. Billard, No. 2:10-CV-01012-CJM, 2010 WL 4367052 (N.D. Iowa Oct. 28, 2010).
Dave received his J.D. cum laude from South Texas College of Law. While in law school, Dave was a member of the school’s nationally-ranked advocacy program and traveled extensively throughout the country competing in national mock trial and moot court competitions. He was a member of the Currents International Trade Law Journal. He also served as a law clerk for the 333rd Civil District Court of Harris County, Texas. Upon graduation from law school, he was inducted to the Order of the Barristers, Order of the Lytae, and received the Justice Bud Warren Appellate Advocacy Award. Prior to law school, Dave received his B.A. cum laude from the University of Massachusetts – Amherst.
Professional and Community Activities
- South Texas College of Law, Adjunct Professor of Advocacy, 2010-Present
- The Garland R. Walker American Inn of Court, Member, 2015-Present
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Fellow, 2018
- 4/2/2018Vorys is proud to share that David Louie has been selected to be a member of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) 2018 Fellows Program Class and Natalia Cabrera was selected as a member of the LCLD 2018 class of Pathfinders.