- University of Cincinnati College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2014
- University of Cincinnati Law Review, articles editor, 2013-2014
- University of Dayton, M.A., 2009
- Taylor University College, B.A., 2005
Bar & Court Admissions
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Cliff is an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office and is a member of the firm’s litigation and transportation & logistics groups. His practice is focused on business and commercial litigation with specific experience in all aspect of transportation law. Cliff is also experienced in transactional aspects of transportation law. As part of his practice, Cliff regularly reviews, drafts, and revises transportation contracts on behalf of the firm’s shipper, broker, and vendor clients.
Cliff counsels clients in the transportation industry on a variety of matters including avoidance and mitigation of fundamental risks associated with the transportation and logistics industry. Cliff has experience in all aspects of transportation law including Carmack Amendment; defending and subrogating cargo damage claims; vicarious liability for shippers and brokers; negligent hiring of carriers; FSMA and ELD compliance; enforcement and defense of employment agreements; risk analysis and review of insurance coverages and litigation of claims; and collections.
Cliff also has experience in complex business litigation, false advertising law, First Amendment law, and commercial real estate foreclosure.
His notable experience includes:
- Drafting, negotiation, and revision of shipper-carrier contracts, broker-carrier contracts, broker-shipper contracts, and master services agreements for logistics companies
- Successfully facilitating the recovery of hundreds of thousands of dollars for transportation and logistics clients related to carrier claims;
- Enforcement of non-disclosure agreements protecting confidential information
- Successfully enforcing non-compete agreements by obtaining temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions
- Assisting in securing a six-figure settlement from a client’s competitor due to its online false advertising and the complete removal of the false advertising;
- Drafting the advertising policy for local government client to ensure compliance with First Amendment law
Cliff received his J.D. summa cum laude from the University of Cincinnati College of Law, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif and an articles editor for the University of Cincinnati Law Review. He received his B.A from Taylor University College in Edmonton, Alberta and his M.A. in from the University of Dayton.
Professional and Community Activities
- Transportation Lawyers Association, Member
- Transportation Intermediaries Association, Associate Member
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Warren County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, Transportation Law, 2021
- 8/20/2020112 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List; 26 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ Inaugural “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and twelve lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2021 edition. In addition, 26 Vorys attorneys were named to the inaugural Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 10/31/2014Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to welcome nine new first-year associates to the firm.
- 10/21/2020Client Alert: FMCSA Extends Public Comment Deadline Regarding Brokers’ Disclosure of Rates to CarriersLast week, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) extended its deadline for public comment regarding the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association’s (OOIDA) rule-making petition that requested FMCSA implement new regulations to require brokers to automatically disclose their rates to their carriers
- 4/9/2020The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has extended and expanded its emergency declaration that was set to expire on April 12.
- 4/8/20203PLS, CARRIERS, AND SHIPPER’S JOIN TOGETHER CARES Act Forgivable Paycheck Protection Program Loans, EIDL Grants and MoreFederally available, potentially fully forgivable loans are available to eligible 3PLs, carriers, and shippers alike.
- 3/27/2020As 3PLs adapt to the impact that COVID-19 continues to have on their business and as employers and employees adjust to teleworking, there are myriad employment issues and new laws that must be considered.
- 3/27/2020The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association (FMCSA) issued updated guidance on drug and alcohol testing amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 3/25/20203PLs must exercise caution when considering FMSCA’s National Emergency Declaration to provide hours-of-service relief to commercial drivers transporting emergency relief in response to COVID-19. First, emergency relief is specific to certain kinds of freight.
- 3/24/2020State "Stay at Home" and "Shelter in Place" orders related to COVID-19 have, thus far, deemed 3PLs and their carrier partners as essential businesses, whose work is necessary.