Intellectual Property, Entertainment, and Technology Protection
- Audits and IP Policies
- Intellectual Property Rights Under Government Contracts
- International Protection for Intellectual Property
- Israel Practice
- Litigation, Enforcement, and Policing
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Divestitures
- Patents, Inventions, and Technology Protection
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D., 1989
- State University of New York at Buffalo, B.S., 1982
- Syracuse University, A.B., 1979
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Bill is of counsel in the Vorys Washington, D.C. office and member of the technology and intellectual property group. He is also a member of the firm's Israel practice. Bill has more than 25 years of experience practicing intellectual property (IP) law. While the majority of Bill's experience has been in private practice, he spent several years as a patent examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in mechanical and medical device areas. Bill focuses his practice on technology areas, including electrical, mechanical, computer/software, electro-mechanical, chemical/mechanical, chemistry, materials and designs.
Bill's patent experience includes securing global intellectual property protection for products, devices and methods, such as cell phones, analytical computer software, hospital dosage software, network defense software, social networking software, eye care/vision products, smart TV, medical products, medical devices, surgical devices, implantable surgical devices, surgical materials, dental devices, armor, aircraft, aerospace, military defense, power supply, lighting, electrical switches, product dispensing and dispensers, food products, liquid crystal displays, automotive technology, waste treatment, waste disposal and waste management, among several others.
With a background in both aerospace engineering and emphasis in organic chemistry, Bill is uniquely positioned to practice in cross-discipline technology areas. He has substantial experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications both domestically and internationally; drafting and negotiating complex patent licenses; developing and analyzing patent positioning and strategy; managing patent portfolios; developing business plans, trademark strategy and development; prosecuting and opposing trademarks; and supporting trademark litigation.
Career highlights include:
- Successfully creating and managing a global patent portfolio on behalf of a $60 million eye vision/care company resulting in significant new product positioning and gains in global market share
- Successfully creating and managing a global patent and trademark portfolio for a start-up business enabling the small company to compete with major industry competitors in the consumer and commercial cleaning industry, both in the U.S. and abroad
- Successfully inventing, developing and procuring IP and out-licensed technology for a billion-dollar consumer goods company
Bill is a member of the American Intellectual Property Association (AIPLA) and the Intellectual Property Owners Association.
Bill earned his J.D. from the George Mason University School of Law. He received his B.S. in aerospace engineering from the State University of New York at Buffalo and his A.B. in chemistry from Syracuse University.
Professional and Community Activities
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, Member, 2017
- 3/1/2012Vorys announced the addition of three patent attorneys to the firm’s technology and intellectual property group in the Washington, D.C. office.