- Academic Medical Centers
Health Care Litigation
- Health Care Antitrust Litigation
- Health Care False Claims Act Actions/Civil and Criminal Investigations
- Privacy and Security of Health Information, HIPAA Compliance and Health Information Technology for Private and Public Providers
- Regulatory Compliance Challenges/Licensure and Certification
- Reimbursement, Contract, and Fraud and Abuse
- Health Care Regulatory Practice
- Health Care Taxation
- Hospitals/Health Care Operations
- Joint Ventures/Hospital-Physician Collaborations
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Managed Care
- Privacy and HIPAA Compliance/Health Information Technology
- Reimbursement Counseling/Fraud and Abuse Compliance
- State and Federal Health Care Government Relations
- Information Technology, New Media and Advertising
- Privacy & Data Security
- University of Houston Law Center, LL.M, 2009
- Tulane University Law School, J.D., 2005, cum laude
- Tulane Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property, managing editor, 2004-2005
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, M.S. (Health Informatics), 2004
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, M.P.H., 2003
- Tulane University, B.S.M., 2001
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Jonathan is a partner in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the health care group. He has significant experience with health care laws including HIPAA, EU privacy directives, managed care contracting, CMS and state insurance licensing, health information technology (HIT), health information exchanges and fraud and abuse issues, including Stark, Anti-kickback laws and the False Claims Act. Jonathan also has experience with counseling clients on the creation of health care joint ventures and Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs). His experience includes serving as the general counsel to physician groups and with the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
Jonathan’s previous experience includes serving as the in-house general counsel to a multi-specialty medical practice that included an imaging center, full-risk independent practice association, diagnostic laboratory and Accountable Care Organization where he provided legal and strategic business advice and as a key regulator with the Department of Health and Human Services, where he focused on the complex issues related to health information exchanges, HITECH-mandated HIPAA modifications, the EHR incentive program and physician payment reform. While at HHS he served as lead staff to the HIT Policy Committee’s Information Exchange and Certification/Adoption Workgroups. Jonathan received commendation awards from both Secretaries Leavitt and Sebelius for his contributions.
Jonathan serves as an assistant professor of biomedical informatics at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston School of Biomedical Informatics and as an adjunct professor at the University of Houston Law Center. He is also a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals and is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP).
Jonathan earned his J.D. cum laude from Tulane University, where he was the managing editor of the Tulane Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property. He also has a LL.M. in health law from the University of Houston Law Center. Jonathan earned his B.S.M. from Tulane University. He earned his M.S. in Health Informatics and M.P.H from the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston.
His notable experience includes:
Privacy, Health Information Technology and Health Information Exchange
- Counseling health care providers on state and federal privacy and security regulations and representing health care providers and other covered entities in matters related to, HIPAA compliance, HIPAA/HITECH breach notification analysis and response, network security, risk analysis, and regulatory notification obligations to the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) and state attorneys general
- Drafting participant agreements and management services agreements for multiple private and state/federally funded health information exchanges
- Advising clients on the purchase of Electronic Health Record systems, the regulations surrounding Meaningful Use, and representing clients in front of CMS on issues related to recoupment of Meaningful Use payments
- Counseling health care and information technology clients on issues surrounding international privacy laws related to international research, collection and use of personal information
Corporate and Health Regulatory
- Advising clients on the development and licensure of Ambulatory Surgery Centers and other inpatient facilities
- Counseling Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) on operational issues and compliance with HRSA requirements
- Advising non health care employers on development of employer based primary care clinics and related issues including: employee benefits, ERISA, clinic licensing and other health care specific regulatory requirements
- Counseling providers in the carving out and sale of outpatient departments to hospitals and conversion to a hospital outpatient department
- Representing clients in front of the Texas Department of Insurance on issues related to, health maintenance organization (HMO) third party administrator (TPA) and utilization review agent (URA) licensing
- Drafting and negotiating a wide range of health-care related agreements including medical staff bylaws, employment agreements, provider agreements, ca-coverage agreements, locum tenens agreements and admission agreements
- Counseling clients regarding health care reform and assisted in planning and development of an ACO
- Drafting compliance plans and conducting investigations related to billing, licensure, conditions of participation and compliance with fraud and abuse regulations
- Advising clients in obtaining Texas State Medical Board certification as Non-Profit Organizations
- Representing clients in front of state licensing boards on issues related to licensure and disciplinary matters
- Counseling Academic Medical Center and medical residency programs on issues related to ACGME accreditation and program related issues
Professional and Community Activities
- Liveryman, Worshipful Company of Information Technologists (City of London)
- Assistant Professor of Biomedical Informatics, University of Texas-HSC Houston, 2010-Present
- IEEE Journal of Translational Engineering in Health and Medicine, Associate Editor, 2012-2015
- Health Information Partnership of Southeast Texas, Board Member, 2012-2014
- Cyber Journals, Editorial Board Member, 2010-present
- Houston Livestock Show And Rodeo, Wine Events Committee, Commiteeman, 2007-Present
Honors & Awards
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Secretary's Commendation, 2010
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Secretary's Award, 2009
- 10/18/2016Jonathan Ishee, a partner in the health care group in the Houston office, was quoted in a Hospitalist (a publication of the American College of Physicians) story titled “Resisting Ransomware.”
- 1/4/2016Vorys announced that Blake Beachler, Jennifer Dunsizer, Angela Gibson, Rick Grady, Jonathan Ishee, Paul Kerlin, Natalia Steele and Elizabeth Weinewuth have been named partners of the firm.
- 6/6/2014Vorys is pleased to announce that Jonathan Ishee, an attorney with more than 10 years of experience in the health care industry, has joined the firm as of counsel in the Houston office. Ishee focuses his practice on health regulatory and compliance issues, with a particular emphasis on hospital, health system and physician issues.
- 3/12/2018On March 12, 2018, Vorys Partner Jonathan Ishee co-presented at the International Association of Privacy Professionals’ Columbus KnowledgeNet chapter meeting. His discussion focused on General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- 2/8/2018What is the GDPR and Why Should I Care? An Introduction to the EU’s General Data Protection RegulationOn February 8, 2018 Vorys hosted the webinar, What is the GDPR and Why Should I Care? An Introduction to the EU’s General Data. This webinar was presented by Heather Enlow-Novitsky, Marcel Duhamel, and Jonathan Ishee.
- 9/13/2017Vorys attorneys Jonathan Ishee and Nita Garg presenting the second webinar of our HIPAA webinar series, titled “Hot Topics in Telehealth” on September 13, 2017.
- 9/12/2017Cybersecurity, Privacy and Other Legal Issues Surrounding Emerging Technologies and the “Internet of Things”Vorys attorneys Jonathan Ishee and Nita Garg were speakers at the Association of Corporate Counsel Houston Chapter Meeting on September 12, 2017.
- 9/12/2017Vorys attorneys Jonathan Ishee and Nita Garg spoke at the Houston ACC September Chapter Meeting on September 12, 2017. They presented on cybersecurity, privacy and other legal issues surrounding emerging technologies and the "internet of things."
- 6/21/2017Vorys attorneys Lisa Reisz and Liam Gruzs presented the first webinar of our HIPAA webinar series, titled “Top 10 HIPAA Compliance Pitfalls” on June 21, 2017.
- 11/15/2016Vorys Partner Jonathan Ishee was a speaker at the Rice University 2016-17 Lecture Series on November 15, 2016.
- 5/29/2015Vorys attorneys Jonathan Ishee and Paul Kerlin presented a webinar titled “Internet Defamation: How to Protect Your Company’s Brand in the Digital World,” hosted by the Texas Medical Group Management Association on May 29, 2015.
- 5/14/2015Vorys attorneys Robin Canowitz, Jason Elvers, Jonathan Ishee and Lisa Reisz were presenters at the 2015 HIPAA/HIT Summit: What You Need to Know Now hosted by Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP on May 14, 2015.
- 4/24/2015Vorys attorneys Jolie Havens and Jonathan Ishee presented a webinar titled “The Rise of Employer-Based Wellness Initiatives and Medical Clinics,” hosted by the American Health Lawyers Association on April 24, 2015.
- 3/26/2015Vorys attorneys Chris Ingram, Jonathan Ishee, John Landolfi, Angel Lisinski and Eric Whisler participated in a panel titled “Monthly Update for February 2015,” on March 26, 2015.
- 1/29/2015Vorys attorney Jonathan Ishee was a moderator for a panel at the 2nd Health Care Symposium hosted by Rice University Jones Graduate School of Business on January 29, 2015.
- 9/9/2014Jonathan Ishee gave a presentation to the Georgia Association of Home Health Agencies Annual Meeting on labor and employment issues related to Home Health Agencies. Specifically, Jonathan covered current and proposed changes to the FLSA and recent wage and hour litigation.
- 5/3/2019Health Care Alert: HHS Exercises Enforcement Discretion to Reduce Maximum Annual Penalties for HIPAA BreachesOn April 30, 2019, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) published a notification of enforcement discretion in the Federal Register revising the maximum annual penalty amounts for breaches under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
- 4/22/2019Health Care Alert: Conviction of Texas Doctors, Surgeons and Health Care Executives Raises Important New Fraud and Abuse Considerations for ProvidersOn April 9, 2019, federal jurors in the Northern District of Texas returned a guilty verdict against seven doctors, surgeons, and health care executives accused of participating in a $200 million bribery and kickback scheme at Forest Park Medical Center (FPMC), a physician-owned hospital in Dallas.
- 3/27/2019Health Care Alert: Senate Panel Hears Concerns that ONC’s Proposed “Interoperability” Rule Could Expose New Cybersecurity Risks; Comments Due May 3, 2019On March 26, 2019, the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor & Pensions held a hearing to evaluate a rule proposed by the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology ) to implement certain provisions of the 21st Century Cures Act (related to health information technology.
- 10/19/2017On October 17, 2017, the European Union (EU) Working Party on The Protection of Individuals with Regard to the Processing of Personal Data (also referred to as the Article 29 Data Protection Working Party) released two draft guidance documents.
- 5/1/2017Jonathan Ishee and Nita Garg, health care attorneys in the Vorys Houston office, co-authored an article for the Houston Business Journal’swebsite titled “Texas Senate Passes Bill Easing Restrictions on Telemedicine.”
- 4/14/2017On April 13, 2017, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) finalized a regulation intended to stabilize the Affordable Care Act (ACA) marketplaces by creating policies beneficial to the insurance industry.
- 2/21/2017Vorys attorneys Jonathan Ishee, Shannon Majoras and Robin Canowitz co-authored a chapter for the second edition of Health Informatics.
- 12/14/2016In October, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights (OCR) released new guidance for covered entities and business associates that utilize cloud computing for data storage, software, or online access to shared resources and contract with cloud service providers (CSPs) for the service.
- 11/9/2016Vorys attorneys Jonathan Ishee and Kristen Shemory authored an article for the American Bar Association's Health Law Section.
- 1/4/2016Recently the Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights (OCR) announced three settlements to resolve investigations into potential violations of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- 11/12/2014Jonathan Ishee, of counsel in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the health care group, co-authored an article for the ABA Health Law Section: ESource titled “The Out-of-Network Battle Heats Up.”
- 10/17/2014One person with Ebola, technically known as the Ebola hemorrhagic virus, and sometimes called the Ebola Virus Disease, has died in the United States. Two others, health care workers who treated the first patient, have been diagnosed with the illness.
- 4/2013Jonathan Ishee, of counsel in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the health care group, authored “The Rise of Hospital Outpatient Departments in the Era of Decreased Provider Reimbursement” for the April 2013 edition of the American Health Lawyers Association’s Business Law & Governance publication.
- 11/2012Jonathan Ishee, of counsel in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the health care group, authored “Accountability in Cross-Jurisdictional Telemedicine and Health” for the November 2012 edition of the American Health Lawyers Association’s HIT News.