- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1978, cum laude
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 1975, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Bruce is a retired partner in the Vorys Columbus office and was a member of the litigation group. He practices in the area of commercial and real property and business litigation with a special emphasis on eminent domain, zoning and land use issues.
Career highlights include:
- Appointment by the Speaker of the House to the 2006 Eminent Domain Task Force, which made recommendations to the General Assembly for changes to the state eminent domain law favorable to landowners
- In the eminent domain area, representing landowners throughout Ohio, in both state and federal courts, in negotiation and in trial, who have been subjected to eminent domain and inverse condemnation
- Successfully representing landowners in the Supreme Court of Ohio to obtain an order requiring compensation for landowners
- Obtaining contempt order from the Supreme Court of Ohio against state for delay in compensating landowners
- Representing landowners in ODOT and municipal takes for roadway purposes
- In the real property area, representing landowners, national and central-Ohio based homebuilders, developers, and commercial contractors
- Obtaining a jury verdict on behalf of a developer in a federal civil rights action against a township
- Appearing frequently on behalf of landowners and developers before boards of county commissioners, boards of zoning appeals, boards of township trustees, planning commissions and city councils
- Representing landowners in mandamus actions in the Ohio Supreme Court seeking compensation for a taking
- Representing landowners whose property is seized by a park district for a bike/leisure trail
- Wide experience in litigating citizen-backed initiatives and referendums
- Representing landowners in federal court in takes under the Natural Gas Act (pipeline)
- Frequently litigating land use regulation issues in state and federal courts
- Advising various associations on legislative issues, including advising state and local building industry associations during the General Assembly’s consideration of the new annexation statute passed in 2001 favorable to landowners
- Litigating and arbitrating numerous construction disputes for both owners and contractors
Bruce is a member of the American Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association and the Columbus Bar Association.
Bruce has spoken to bar associations and civic groups on eminent domain, zoning and other land issues. He has been interviewed on a number of broadcast programs and has spoken frequently at seminars for the Ohio and Columbus Bar Associations.
Bruce received his J.D. cum laude from the University of Michigan Law School and his B.A. summa cum laude from The Ohio State University, where he was Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Eta Sigma and Phi Kappa Phi.
Professional and Community Activities
- The Salvation Army, Columbus, Ohio, Advisory Board, 1995-2006; President, 2000
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2018
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Eminent Domain, 2010-2012
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Land Use/Zoning, 2004-2005, 2007-2009
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 4/19/2017Bruce Ingram was quoted in a Lima News story about a lawsuit that the famers filed against the Ohio Department of Natural Resources’ Director James Zehringer for his ongoing retaliation against them for exercising their federal constitutional rights to seek compensation from the state for the flooding of their properties.
- 4/18/2017Bruce Ingram was quoted in a Law360 story about a lawsuit that the famers filed against the Ohio Department of Natural Resources’ Director James Zehringer for his ongoing retaliation against them for exercising their federal constitutional rights to seek compensation from the state for the flooding of their properties.
- 3/28/2017This year, 54 Vorys attorneys were listed in the 2017 Columbus CEO “Top Lawyers” List.
- 12/30/2016Ingram Quoted in Lima News Story Titled “ODNR Ordered to Pay Celina-area Farmer for Flooding Damage”Bruce Ingram, a partner in the Columbus office, was quoted in a Lima News story regarding the Ohio Third District Court of Appeals recent decision to affirm a jury verdict awarding more than $515,000 in compensation to a Celina-area farmer.
- 11/24/2015Ingram Quoted in Hannah Report Story on Ohio Controlling Board Discussion on Funding for ODNR LitigationBruce Ingram, a partner in the Columbus office and a member of the Vorys litigation group, was quoted in a Hannah Report story titled “Controlling Board Hears Labor Contract, Clears ODNR Litigation Cost Request.”
- 2/13/2015The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) is proceeding with its environmental impact assessment of Columbia Gas’ proposed Leach Xpress Project in Ohio and West Virginia.
- 8/21/2014Vorys Partner Quoted in Columbus Dispatch Story Titled “Court: Westerville Must Pay Landowner $1.3 Million”Joseph Miller, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group, was quoted in a Columbus Dispatch story about a $1.3 million verdict recently upheld by the 10th District Court of Appeals.
- 8/20/2014Bruce Ingram, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation group, was quoted in a This Week: Westerville story titled “Appeals Court Upholds Award for $1.3 million.”
- 5/1/2014Bruce Ingram, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was quoted in a Columbus Dispatch story about ongoing litigation between the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) and landowners whose properties flood because of ODNR’s widening of a Grand Lake St. Marys dam spillway.
- 3/3/2014In May 2013, a jury found that the city of Westerville must pay more than $1.3 million for the property. Westerville appealed the matter. In March 2014, the Vorys trial team filed a brief on the appeal arguing that Westerville wants to reverse the law of Ohio which has historically protected private property rights.
- 5/15/2013Vorys Partner Quoted in This Week: Westerville Story Titled “Jury Goes Against Westerville in State Street Case”Bruce Ingram, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was quoted in a This Week: Westerville story about a $1.3 million verdict awarded to a property owner by a Franklin County Common Pleas Court jury.
- 4/3/2013Bruce Ingram, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was quoted in an Associated Press story titled “Ohio files notice of lake order.”
- 1/14/2013Ingram Quoted in Columbus Dispatch Story Entitled “Jury Tells Ohio to Pay $2 million for Flood Damage”Bruce Ingram, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was quoted in a Columbus Dispatch story about a Mercer County jury that ordered the Ohio Department of Natural Resources to pay $2 million to the owners of a farm to compensate them for years of flood damage.
- 12/6/2012Vorys Attorney Quoted About Ohio Supreme Court’s Contempt Finding Against Ohio Department of Natural ResourcesBruce Ingram, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was quoted in a Columbus Dispatch story entitled “ODNR, director found in contempt.” The story was about the Ohio Supreme Court’s ruling on a contempt of court motion filed by Ingram and a team of Vorys attorneys.
- 12/5/2012Ingram Quoted in Columbus Dispatch story entitled “State justices hear residents’ case against ODNR”Bruce Ingram, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was quoted in a Columbus Dispatch story about a hearing regarding the possible contempt of court by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR).
- 11/19/2012Bruce Ingram, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was quoted in a Columbus Dispatch story about ongoing litigation between a group of central Ohio landowners and the City of Dublin, Ohio.
- 12/2/2011On Dec. 1, 2011, the Ohio Supreme Court issued a writ of mandamus ordering the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) to begin appropriation proceedings to compensate the owners of land west of Grand Lake St. Marys for a “taking” of their property.
- 9/28/2011The Morning Journal and the Sandusky Register both ran feature stories about a settlement, negotiated by Vorys litigators, between the Erie MetroParks and Erie County private property owners.
- 9/26/2011Bruce Ingram, a partner in the firm’s Columbus office, was quoted throughout an Akron Legal News article about arguments made before the Ohio Supreme Court regarding Grand Lake St. Marys’ West Bank spillway.
- 9/1/2010Bruce Ingram was interviewed in the ABC-6 news piece "Wal-Mart's Not Coming, But Taxpayers May Get Stuck Paying," which aired during the August 31, 2010 newcast.
- 7/2/2010Ingram Quoted in The Daily Reporter Article "Reversal of Annexation Case Must Return to Common Pleas Court, 10th District Rules"Bruce L. Ingram was quoted in the article "Reversal of Annexation Case Must Return to Common Pleas Court, 10th District Rules," which appeared in the July 2, 2010 edition of The Daily Reporter.
- 3/31/2010On March 24, 2010, Vorys obtained a unanimous $862,061 jury verdict on behalf of Reywal Co. Limited Partnership in ODOT v. Reywal Co. Limited Partnership, et al.
- 11/21/2008In a case brought before the U.S. District Court in the Southern District of Ohio, Judge Algenon Marbley agreed with Wedgewood Limited Partnership (Wedgewood), when he issued a ruling saying that Wedgewood’s federal civil rights were violated by Liberty Township.
- 10/10/2007Bruce Ingram, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, was quoted in a Lima News on victory Vorys litigators achieved on behalf of a Lima business.
- 2/2008In this client alert, Vorys attorneys outline the significant changes to Ohio’s eminent domain law since Ohio Senate Bill 7 took effect.
- September/October 2005