- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D., 2018
- Ohio State Law Journal, Articles Editor, 2017-2018
- Clemson University, B.A., 2013, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Scott is an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati and Columbus offices and a member of the corporate and financial institutions groups.
Scott advises privately held companies, startup companies and entrepreneurs, non-profit organizations and private equity firms in sophisticated merger and acquisition, joint venture, debt and private equity transactions. He counsels clients in general business matters, including the formation of business entities and the drafting and negotiation of business contracts and commercial agreements. Scott also supports public companies in public-private M&A transactions, joint ventures, commercial agreements and debt offerings.
Scott has hands-on experience advising financial institutions, their holding companies and affiliates on a wide variety of significant regulatory and corporate matters, including capital raising, securities matters, corporate governance matters, board issues, regulatory compliance, charter conversions, M&A transactions, and de novo (startup) bank and holding company formation. This includes direct interaction with executive management, industry consultants, and senior representatives of state and federal bank and holding company regulatory authorities in multiple states and federal districts. In this capacity, Scott writes regularly for banking publications, assists in legislative matters, and has drafted amicus curiae briefs filed on behalf of clients in the Ohio Supreme Court.
Additionally, Scott counsels various cannabis-related businesses and financial institutions regarding cannabis business issues, and he writes extensively regarding issues involving federal law and Ohio’s medical marijuana and hemp programs.
Notable experiences include:
- Representing a large UK-based company and its US subsidiaries in numerous multi-million dollar U.S. acquisitions, commercial finance transactions and general business and corporate governance matters.
- Representing a New York-based private equity fund in numerous multi-million dollar portfolio company acquisitions across the country.
- Serving as borrower’s counsel to a major non-profit hospital in numerous tax-exempt bond financings with an aggregate borrowed amount of over $300 million.
- Representing Safelite Group, Inc. in its acquisition of numerous regional vehicle glass repair and replacement companies located across the United States.
- Representing Abercrombie & Fitch Co. in connection with a $350 million note offering.
- Representing a regional gas and oil company in a $37 million asset sale.
- Representing a privately held national informational technology staffing firm in numerous divisional sales.
- Advising an entrepreneurial company in the specialty food products industry in connection with the acquisition of a national organic toddler food brand.
- Representing Ohio’s largest financial institutions trade association.
- Representing Ohio State Bank in its formation of a de novo bank.
- Representing First Bank of Central Ohio (In Organization) in its formation of a de novo bank.
Scott received his J.D. cum laude from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, where he was an articles editor for the Ohio State Law Journal. He received his B.A. cum laude from Clemson University.
- 8/3/2020Vorys recently advised Abercrombie & Fitch Co. and its wholly-owned indirect subsidiary Abercrombie & Fitch Management Co. in connection with the Rule 144A/Regulation S offering.
- Spring 2021With the White House and Congress now under Democratic control, the political shift has fueled renewed optimism in the cannabis industry regarding the prospects for wide-scale legalization or, as a consolation prize, cannabis banking reform.
- 1/11/2021On January 7, 2021, Ohio adopted a new statute governing limited liability companies (LLCs) in Ohio.
- Summer 2020On July 7, 2020, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), primary regulator for national banks and Federal thrifts, published a lengthy proposal for significant and extensive revisions to certain of its current regulations (the Proposal).
- Summer 2020On June 29, 2020, the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), a bureau of the U.S. Department of the Treasury, issued new guidance (2020 Guidance)1 addressing due diligence requirements under the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) for financial institutions that provide services to hemp-related business customers.
- 4/23/2020On April 17, the Federal Reserve Board announced an interim final rule that temporarily relaxes lending restrictions on member banks who make Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loans to businesses owned by certain bank insiders.
- 4/2/2020On March 31, 2020, the SBA and the Treasury Department released initial guidance on the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), providing further key details regarding how the SBA plans to administer the loan program.
- 3/25/2020With the vast uncertainty generated by the COVID-19 pandemic, one of the immediate challenges that Ohio’s financial institutions must confront, especially at this time of year, involves how to handle their annual shareholder or member meetings.
- Winter 2020In December of 2019, Senator Elizabeth Warren and Representative Jesús García announced the introduction of the Bank Merger Review Modernization Act (the act), which would “…restrict harmful consolidation in the banking industry and protect consumers and the financial system from ‘Too Big To Fail’ institutions.”
- Winter 2020
- Summer 2019Lenders in Ohio frequently incorporate cognovits, or confession of judgment provisions, into promissory notes, guaranties and other loan instruments. T