Labor and Employment
- Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation
- Employer Internal Investigations
- Employment Litigation
- Employment Relations, Policies, and Regulatory Practice
- Cornell Law School, J.D., 1981
Bar & Court Admissions
- Application pending in Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Supreme Court
Jeff is of counsel in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the labor and employment group.
Before joining Vorys, Jeff was an attorney at BP America Inc. (and Amoco Corp.) for 28 years. During his time at BP, he worked in both the Chicago and Houston offices for the company. At the time of his retirement, he was associate general counsel for labor and employment law as well as BP’s alternative energy businesses. He served as a member of the company’s global legal and global HR leadership teams for many years. He also managed BP’s US legal offices for the last seven years of his career. His legal practice at BP was global in scope. He managed teams in Houston, Chicago, London, Anchorage, Los Angeles, and Sao Paulo.
Prior to BP, Jeff was an associate and partner at Seyfarth in Chicago where he was engaged in employment and traditional labor law. He argued several cases in the federal appellate courts, tried cases in federal court, and handled numerous labor arbitrations and collective bargaining negotiations.
Jeff has experience in many areas. His focus during the past 15 years has been ethics and compliance; investigation protocols and complex or sensitive internal investigations; executive employment agreements, executive separation and executive compensation issues; benefit plan fiduciaries and handling complex benefits litigation; data privacy (US and global); wage and hour policies; co-employment; labor relations; human resources policies; and employment litigation.
Jeff is also actively involved in the ABA Labor and Employment Law (LEL) Section. He is a past co-chair of the ABA LEL Annual Conference, the largest CLE event for labor and employment lawyers. He also served for five years as a program chair for the Employee Rights and Responsibilities Committee. He has been a frequent speaker at many ABA and other CEL training programs including the ABA Annual Meeting. his recent speaking appearances have covered topics such as cross-jurisdictional law practice, employment law aspects for managing crises and disasters, whistle blowing, implementing effective internal policies for handling whistleblowers and sexual harassment, and global immigration law.
He is admitted to practice in the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the fifth, seventh and D.C. Circuits, the Northern District of Illinois and the Eastern District of Wisconsin.
Jeff received his J.D. from Cornell Law School, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif and the articles editor for the Cornell Law Review. Upon graduation, he was a law clerk for the Hon. Richard D. Cudahy in the US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
- 4/8/2019Vorys announced that Jff Heller joined the firm as of counsel in the Houston office. Prior to joining Vorys, Heller served as the associate general counsel for labor and employment law as well as BP’s alternative energy businesses. He was an attorney at BP (and Amoco Corp.) for 28 years.
- 5/3/2019Jeff Heller, of counsel in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the labor and employment group, authored an article for Employment Law360 titled "What To Expect From New EEOC Pay Data Demands."
- 4/22/2019HR professionals know that conducting timely and effective internal investigations is vital in order for the company to make better decisions when facing contentious allegations.