- Energy and Utilities
Intellectual Property, Entertainment, and Technology Protection
- Audits and IP Policies
- Branding and Trademarks
- International Protection for Intellectual Property
- Litigation, Enforcement, and Policing
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Divestitures
- Patents, Inventions, and Technology Protection
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2011
- San Diego State University, Advanced Certificate in Biomedical Quality Systems, 2006
- University of Texas at Austin, B.S., with university honors, 2001
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Donna is of counsel in the Vorys Houston office and a member of the technology and intellectual property group. She focuses her practice on the preparation and prosecution of patents. She also advises clients on transactional patent and trademark matters. In addition, she has provided counsel related to freedom to operate, patent validity, infringement analysis and due diligence for protecting developing business prospects.
Career highlights include:
Representing a major oil company before the US Patent Office in a patent inter partes review
Representing a major agricultural biotechnology corporation in district court in defending against a suit for infringement of patents relating to insect-resistant genes for plants
Representing a major cloud-connected backup and recovery company in defending against a suit for patent infringement
Representing a major oil company in a plaintiff's action in district court for declaratory judgment that the federal drilling moratorium in the Gulf of Mexico constituted force majeure under offshore drilling contracts
Representing a major oil company in a plaintiff's products liability action in district court for mooring failures of offshore drilling rigs in the Gulf of Mexico during Hurricane Ike
Representing a pro bono client in a plaintiff's action in district court for human trafficking and racketeering by a gulf coast marine services company
- Representing a major medical device company before the US Patent Office
Donna received her J.D. magna cum laude from the University of Houston Law Center, where she was a member of the Order of the Coif and Order of the Barons. She also served as chief articles editor for The Houston Journal of Health Law & Policy. She received her Advanced Certificate in Biomedical Quality Systems from San Diego State University and her B.S. in Biology, Focus in Cellular and Molecular Biology from the University of Texas at Austin.
Prior to attending law school, Donna worked in the biomedical and biotechnological industries.
Professional and Community Activities
- Houston Intellectual Property Law Association
- Andrews Kurth Moot Court National Championship Committee
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, Member, 2017
Honors & Awards
- University of Houston Institution for Intellectual Property & Information Law Award for Distinguished Accomplishment, 2011
- 1/25/2017Vorys announced that a team of four AmLaw 50 patent lawyers and their staff have joined the firm’s Houston office. Carey Jordan, Iona Kaiser and Jeremy Harrison will join as partners and Donna Haynes will join as of counsel.
- 6/26/2018On June 26, 2018, Vorys Partner Carey Jordan and Of Counsel Donna Haynes presented a webinar as part of Centerforce’s 2018 IP Strategy Summit Series.
- 5/9/2018The United States Patent and Trademark Office (the office) recently issued guidance on the impact of the Supreme Court’s recent decision SAS Institute Inc. v. Iancu on post-grant patent proceedings, specifically inter partes review.
- 1/11/2018Recently, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit again took up the issue of liability for divided infringement, re-affirming its prior precedent and clarifying the requirements for holding an alleged infringer directly liable for a third party’s actions.