- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D.
- The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business, MBA in Corporate Finance
- The University of Akron, B.S. in Accounting
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States Tax Court
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
Jeff is a senior M&A, private equity and corporate partner and represents businesses located throughout the United States and internationally. Jeff has decades of experience in business and as a trusted advisor to company owners, boards and senior executives on domestic and international merger, acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures and other strategic transactions; private equity, venture capital, recapitalization and other debt and equity financings; and corporate governance and organizational matters.
Before entering private legal practice, Jeff held corporate financial management positions in both public and private companies where he supported numerous strategic transactions. Jeff has an MBA in corporate finance from the Fisher College of Business, where he was the Banc One Capital Fellow (awarded annually to the top Fisher College MBA finance student) and a member of Beta Gamma Sigma Honors Fraternity. This real-world business experience gives Jeff a unique perspective as a lawyer.
Jeff has been published and has presented on numerous matters related to his business and legal experience.
- Representing public and private companies, private equity firms and portfolio companies and, family offices, in domestic and international corporate mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations, joint ventures, spin-offs, and split-offs, with transaction values generally ranging from $50 million to $300 million
- Representing public and private companies in raising capital, including acquisition financing, senior/mezzanine debt and equity financings, recapitalizations, early-stage and growth capital
- Representing companies, private equity firms and family offices in early-stage and growth capital investments, including mezzanine debt and preferred equity
Representative Transactions Serving as Lead Counsel:
- A Midwest based private equity firm in its capital raise, acquisition and financing of a national specialty and work truck vehicle body design and upfitting service and product distribution company
- A global Chinese headquartered public company, through its international California based parts manufacturer, in a North American joint venture with a Mexican based company
- A global Chinese headquartered public company, through its international California based parts manufacturer, in multiple acquisitions and related financings throughout North America
- A Midwest based bank holding company in its preferred equity growth investment from a California based private equity firm
- A Midwest based private equity firm in its capital raise, acquisition and financing of a national building products manufacturer/distributor
- A global U.S. headquartered parts manufacturer/distributor in its acquisition and financing of an international Michigan based company
- A global Chinese headquartered public company in its direct venture capital investment in a Silicon Valley based software technology company
- A Chicago based software technology company in its Series A preferred venture capital investment from a public company strategic investor
- A Midwest based private equity firm in its capital raise, acquisition and financing of a national commercial infrastructure products distributor
- A private equity firm and its international New York based portfolio company in its joint venture with an international European based parts manufacturer
- A global U.S. headquartered parts manufacturer/distributor in its international joint venture with a global European headquartered public company
- A private equity firm and its international New York based portfolio company in its capital raise and leveraged growth recapitalization and related refinancing
- An international Midwest and Toronto based commercial real estate services company in its sale to a global California headquartered public company
- A national Midwest based business finance company in its sale to an international private equity backed Florida based company
- A Midwest based bank in its merger with a Midwest based bank holding company and its subsidiary bank
- An international Midwest based industrial equipment manufacturer in its sale to a global Japanese headquartered public company
- An international Missouri based parts manufacturer in its spin-off and sale of a division to an international Michigan based company
- An international Southeast based parts manufacturer in its sale to a global India headquartered public company
- A Midwest based publicly traded bank hold company in its private placement of equity securities
- An international Pennsylvania based chemical manufacturer in its sale to a North Carolina based private equity firm, and subsequent sale to a global Northeast based company
- A Midwest based private equity firm in its sale of a hardwood manufacturing portfolio company to a strategic acquirer
- An international Florida based laser manufacturer in its sale to a global Swiss headquartered public company
- An international Midwest based industrial equipment manufacturer in its acquisition of a Canadian based company
- A Midwest based medical product manufacturer in its sale to a global Ohio headquartered public company
- A leveraged management buyout of a Midwest based multi-state retail chain
Professional and Community Activities
- Association for Corporate Growth, Executive Vice President, Board of Directors, Past Program Committee Chair
- American Bar Association, Member of Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity Committees; contributing member of Task Force on Model M&A Documents
- The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business Alumni Board, Member
- United Way of Summit County, Tocqueville Society Cabinet
- United Way of Cuyahoga County, Philanthropist Society
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Fellow
- Akron Bar Association Fellow
- Leadership Akron (Class XXVIII)
- United Way of Summit County, Corporate Fundraising Cabinet, Past Board Member
- Greater Akron Chamber, Business Excellence Awards, Past Chair; Economic Development Council, Past Board Member
- Cascade Capital Corporation, Past Board Member
- Copley-Fairlawn Schools Foundation, Past Secretary and Board Member
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2018-2019
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Banc One Capital Fellow (awarded annually to the top Fisher College MBA finance student)
- Beta Gamma Sigma Honors Fraternity
- 8/15/2019One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020.
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 5/26/2016Vorys announced that Jeffrey Fickes, a corporate attorney with decades of experience in business, has joined the firm as a partner in the Cleveland and Akron offices.
- 5/5/2020Jeff Fickes, a partner in the Vorys Cleveland office, moderated an Opus Connect Cleveland webinar on May 5, 2020 titled, “The New Normal: What Has Changed and What Hasn’t (in M&A)?”
- 4/8/2019Vorys Partner Jeff Fickes participated as a guest executive for The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business’s Cullman Executive Series on April 8, 2019.
- 5/17/2018Vorys presented a CLE program entitled, Case Study: A 50/50 Global Strategic Alliance Between Competitors, in partnership with the Northeast Ohio Association of Corporate Counsel on May 17, 2018.
- 12/14/2016Vorys Partners Jeff Fickes, Adam Miller, Bret Treier and Dave Tocco presented at the Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals Meeting hosted by Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP on December 14, 2016.
- 4/27/2020SBA Releases Fourth Interim Final Rule Clarifying PPP Eligibility for Private Equity Firms and Hedge FundsOn April 24, 2020, the Small Business Administration (SBA) released its fourth Interim Final Rule titled “Business Loan Program Temporary Changes: Paycheck Protection Program – Requirements – Promissory Notes, Authorizations, Affiliation, and Eligibility."
- 4/23/2020Congress Passes Bill Extending Small Business Loan Programs and Providing Emergency COVID-19 Response FundingFollowing weeks of negotiations, today Congress passed the Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act providing a relief from the widespread economic injury caused by the COVID-19 public health emergency.
- 4/1/2020In addition to the CARES Act, a number of states have enacted legislation, implemented relief programs, or made available state resources to further assist businesses in combating mounting economic hardships. This alert summarizes the state-specific relief efforts in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Washington, D.C.
- 3/30/2020In response to the COVID-19 crisis, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine signed House Bill 197 into law on March 27, 2020, a bill that had passed unanimously in the Ohio General Assembly.
- 3/30/2020COVID-19, Private Investors and the CARES Act: Do Investor Backed Companies Get Left Out in the Cold?This alert provides answers to some of the preliminary questions private equity, family office, fundless sponsor and venture capital firms, along with their portfolio companies, might be asking as they consider applying for a loan under the Small Business Act to create the Paycheck Protection Program.
- 3/26/2020Following days of often tense negotiations, the United States Senate has passed the third phase of federal coronavirus relief legislation, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (the CARES Act), which will provide $2 trillion in economic aid to individuals and businesses impacted by the coronavirus public health emergency.
- 3/20/2020Since the first known case of COVID-19 in the United States was discovered in late January, the federal government has taken several steps to both fight the spread of the disease and blunt its economic impact on the American economy.