- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D., 2001
- The Ohio State University, MBA, 2000
- The University of Akron, B.S., 1990
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States Tax Court
Jeff is a partner in the Vorys Cleveland and Akron offices and a member of the corporate group. He has decades of experience in business and advises company owners, boards, and senior executives on organization, finance, governance, acquisition and disposition of businesses, as well as general business and contract matters. Jeff also advises clients on routine regulatory compliance; incentive compensation arrangements; customer, vendor, distributor, sales representative, and consultant agreements and shareholder management; general commercial terms and conditions; non-disclosure and other restrictive covenants; license agreements; and other general company policies and agreements.
Jeff also works with companies that do not have a dedicated in-house counsel or legal team by serving as the company’s general counsel.
Career highlights include:
- Representing public and private companies, private equity firms, family offices, and management in both domestic and international corporate mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations, joint ventures, spin-offs, and split-offs, with transaction values generally ranging from $10 million to $250 million
- Representing public and private companies in private placements of securities and secured and unsecured debt financings generally ranging from $5 million to $100 million
- Representing private equity firms and family offices in non-control early-stage and growth capital investments, including convertible debt and preferred stock, generally ranging from $1 million to $25 million
- Representing banks and other commercial lenders in secured and unsecured loans, including acquisition financing, syndicated, asset-based, cash flow, mezzanine, conduit, real estate, and construction, generally ranging from $5 million to $150 million
Jeff works with businesses in numerous industries including manufacturing, financial services, transportation, logistics, retail, professional services, commercial real estate, software and information technology.
Jeff has been published and has presented on numerous issues including: mergers and acquisitions, middle market lending, business succession planning, and managing vendor relationships.
Jeff is a member of the Cleveland Metropolitan and Ohio State Bar Associations. He is also a fellow of the Akron Bar Foundation.
Before becoming a lawyer, Jeff held financial management positions in both public and private companies. He received his J.D. from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, his MBA from The Ohio State University and his B.S. from the University of Akron.
Professional and Community Activities
- Association for Corporate Growth (Cleveland), Board of Directors; Programming Committee
- United Way of Summit County, Tocqueville Society Cabinet
- United Way of Cuyahoga County, Philanthropist Society
- Leadership Akron (Class XXVIII)
- United Way of Summit County, Corporate Fundraising Cabinet, Past Member
- Greater Akron Chamber, Business Excellence Awards, Past Board Chair; Economic Development Council, Past Member; Small Business Council, Past Member
- Cascade Capital Corporation, Past Board Member
- Copley-Fairlawn Schools Foundation, Past Director/Secretary
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Beta Gamma Sigma Honors Fraternity
- The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2018-2019
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 5/26/2016Vorys announced that Jeffrey Fickes, a corporate attorney with decades of experience in business, has joined the firm as a partner in the Cleveland and Akron offices.
- 5/17/2018Vorys presented a CLE program entitled, Case Study: A 50/50 Global Strategic Alliance Between Competitors, in partnership with the Northeast Ohio Association of Corporate Counsel on May 17, 2018.
- 12/14/2016Vorys Partners Jeff Fickes, Adam Miller, Bret Treier and Dave Tocco presented at the Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals Meeting hosted by Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP on December 14, 2016.