- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D.
- The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business, MBA in Corporate Finance
- The University of Akron, B.S. in Accounting
Bar & Court Admissions
- United States Tax Court
Jeff is a partner in the Vorys Cleveland office and a member of the corporate group. He has decades of personal experience in business and as a trusted advisor to company owners, boards, and senior executives on domestic and international mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures and other strategic transactions; private equity, venture capital, recapitalization and other debt and equity financings; and corporate governance, organizational, shareholder and general business matters. Jeff also works with companies that do not have dedicated in-house legal counsel by serving as the company’s general counsel.
Before entering private legal practice, Jeff held financial management positions in both public and private companies where he supported numerous strategic transactions.
Jeff works with businesses located throughout the United States and internationally in numerous industries including manufacturing, distribution, investment banking and other financial services, transportation and logistics, retail, professional services, commercial real estate, software and information technology.
Jeff has been published and has presented on numerous matters related to his business and legal experience.
- Representing public and private companies, private equity firms and portfolio companies, family offices, and management in both domestic and international corporate mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations, joint ventures, spin-offs, and split-offs, with transaction values generally ranging from $50 million to $300 million
- Representing public and private companies in raising capital, including acquisition financing, debt and equity financings, recapitalizations, early-stage and growth capital
- Representing companies, private equity firms and family offices in early-stage and growth capital investments, including convertible debt and preferred stock
Representative Transactions Serving as Lead Counsel:
- A Midwest based private equity firm in its capital raise, acquisition and financing of a national specialty and work truck vehicle body design and upfitting service and product distribution company
- A global Chinese headquartered public company, through its international California based parts manufacturer, in a North American joint venture with a Mexican based company
- A global Chinese headquartered public company, through its international California based parts manufacturer, in multiple acquisitions and related financings throughout North America
- A Midwest based bank holding company in its preferred equity growth investment from a California based private equity firm
- A Midwest based private equity firm in its capital raise, acquisition and financing of a national building products manufacturer/distributor
- A global U.S. headquartered parts manufacturer/distributor in its acquisition and financing of an international Michigan based company
- A global Chinese headquartered public company in its direct venture capital investment in a Silicon Valley based software technology company
- A Midwest based private equity firm in its capital raise, acquisition and financing of a national commercial infrastructure products distributor
- A private equity firm and its international New York based portfolio company in its joint venture with an international European based parts manufacturer
- A global U.S. headquartered parts manufacturer/distributor in its international joint venture with a global European headquartered public company
- A private equity firm and its international New York based portfolio company in its capital raise and leveraged growth recapitalization and related refinancing
- An international Midwest and Toronto based commercial real estate services company in its sale to a global California headquartered public company
- A national Midwest based business finance company in its sale to an international private equity backed Florida based company
- A Midwest based bank in its merger with a Midwest based bank holding company and its subsidiary bank
- An international Midwest based industrial equipment manufacturer in its sale to a global Japanese headquartered public company
- An international Missouri based parts manufacturer in its spin-off and sale of a division to an international Michigan based company
- An international Southeast based parts manufacturer in its sale to a global India headquartered public company
- A Midwest based publicly traded bank hold company in its private placement of equity securities
- An international Pennsylvania based chemical manufacturer in its sale to a North Carolina based private equity firm, and subsequent sale to a global Northeast based company
- A Midwest based private equity firm in its sale of a hardwood manufacturing portfolio company to a strategic acquirer
- An international Florida based laser manufacturer in its sale to a global Swiss headquartered public company
- An international Midwest based industrial equipment manufacturer in its acquisition of a Canadian based company
- A Midwest based medical product manufacturer in its sale to a global Ohio headquartered public company
- A leveraged management buyout of a Midwest based multi-state retail chain
Professional and Community Activities
- Association for Corporate Growth (Cleveland Chapter), Executive Vice President, Board of Directors, Past Program Committee Chair
- American Bar Association, Member of Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity Committees
- The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business Alumni Board, Member
- United Way of Summit County, Tocqueville Society Cabinet
- United Way of Cuyahoga County, Philanthropist Society
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Fellow
- Akron Bar Association Fellow
- Leadership Akron (Class XXVIII)
- United Way of Summit County, Corporate Fundraising Cabinet, Past Board Member
- Greater Akron Chamber, Business Excellence Awards, Past Chair; Economic Development Council, Past Board Member
- Cascade Capital Corporation, Past Board Member
- Copley-Fairlawn Schools Foundation, Past Secretary and Board Member
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2018-2019
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Banc One Capital Fellow (awarded annually to the top Fisher College MBA finance student)
- Beta Gamma Sigma Honors Fraternity
- The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2018-2020
- 8/15/2019One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020.
- 8/15/2018One hundred and thirteen lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019.
- 8/17/2017One hundred and eight lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018.
- 5/26/2016Vorys announced that Jeffrey Fickes, a corporate attorney with decades of experience in business, has joined the firm as a partner in the Cleveland and Akron offices.
- 4/8/2019Vorys Partner Jeff Fickes participated as a guest executive for The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business’s Cullman Executive Series on April 8, 2019.
- 5/17/2018Vorys presented a CLE program entitled, Case Study: A 50/50 Global Strategic Alliance Between Competitors, in partnership with the Northeast Ohio Association of Corporate Counsel on May 17, 2018.
- 12/14/2016Vorys Partners Jeff Fickes, Adam Miller, Bret Treier and Dave Tocco presented at the Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals Meeting hosted by Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP on December 14, 2016.