- University of Akron School of Law, J.D., 2008
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 2004
Bar & Court Admissions
- West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
John is an associate in the Vorys Akron and Pittsburgh offices and a member of the litigation group. His practice focuses on civil litigation, and John has had significant success representing suppliers, manufacturers and retailers in product liability-related cases. John is also a member of Vorys’ eminent domain practice group, representing landowners in negotiations and litigation with condemnors appropriating private property. John has tried numerous cases to verdict, including several high-exposure product liability cases on behalf of American and international manufacturers. John has also argued before Ohio’s Fourth, Fifth, Eighth and Tenth District Courts of Appeal.
Career highlights include:
- Leading several lemon law/breach of warranty trials on behalf of numerous domestic and foreign automobile manufacturers
- Defending an American arrow manufacturer against allegations that a carbon fiber, pull-wound arrow was inflicted with an unknown manufacturing defect
- Obtaining a defense verdict in favor of a German automobile manufacturer against allegations that its mid-sized sedan was defectively designed
- Representing a corporate plaintiff in fraud and breach of contract case involving allegations that an international wind turbine manufacturer misrepresented governmental certifications, thereby inducing the purchase and erection of uncertified, defective machines
John is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association, the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association and the Akron Bar Association.
John received his J.D. from the University of Akron School of Law, where he won the 2007 National Civil Trial Competition, and his B.A. from The Ohio State University.
Professional and Community Activities
- CASA Summit County, Board Member
- Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, Member
- Cleveland Association of Civil Trial Attorneys, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- University of Akron School of Law Trial Team Coach, 2008 - 2017
- St. Vincent - St. Mary High School, 2015 Career Connections Mentor
- 6/19/2018On June 19, 2018, Vorys attorneys Phil Downey and John Conley presented at the Energy & Mineral Law Foundation’s 39th Annual Institute.