- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, J.D., 2010, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Miami University, B.A., 2005, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. Supreme Court
- The Honorable David W. McKeague, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2010-2011
Nathan is an associate in the Vorys Cincinnati office and a member of the litigation group. His practice is focused on complex civil litigation, including appellate, commercial, class action and fiduciary litigation.
Nathan also has experience with data security issues, including counseling clients that have suffered a data breach and working with clients to plan and prepare for a potential data breach.
Notable experience includes:
- Obtaining a favorable result before the United States Supreme Court in the defense of a class action on behalf of a large financial institution
- Successfully defending a large financial institution in dozens of cases in state, federal and bankruptcy courts, arising out of the collapse of a large commodities dealer
- Obtaining a favorable settlement for a large financial services company in a dispute under the Administrative Procedures Act
- Taking cases by appointment from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit pursuant to the Criminal Justice Act
Nathan received his J.D. magna cum laude from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif, the Ohio State Law Journal and moot court. He received his B.A. cum laude from Miami University.
Prior to joining Vorys, Nathan clerked for the Honorable David W. McKeague of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. Nathan has also served as a presidential appointee in the National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s Office of General Counsel and a fellow for Teach for America.
Honors & Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, General Litigation, 2014, 2017
- 12/2/2016Vorys is pleased to announce that 58 attorneys from the firm have been named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- 12/4/2013Eighty-one attorneys from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP have been named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars. 57 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Super Lawyer and 24 Vorys attorneys were named 2014 Ohio Rising Stars.
- 10/13/2017Vorys attorneys Eric Richardson, Jake Mahlem, JB Lind and Nathan Colvin will be speaking at the 2017 Northern Kentucky University-Chase College of Law Cybersecurity Symposium on October 13, 2017. They will address legal developments and implications of data breaches and investigations including: addressing the types of threats; the impact of breaches; and preservation of the attorney-client privilege in the investigation and steps to limit liability.
- 10/21/2016Nathan Colvin, J.B. Lind, Jake Mahle and Eric Richardson were speakers at the NKU Cybersecurity Symposium on October 21, 2016.
- 3/11/2016Vorys attorneys Nathan Colvin and Eric Richardson were speakers at the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners Southwest Ohio Chapter Meeting on March 11, 2016.
- 1/31/2013Vorys hosted the seminar, The Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Year in Review, on January 31, 2013.
- 2/20/2017Whitepaper: Consumer Class Actions Arising from Data Breaches Present a Battleground for Standing to Bring SuitA team of Vorys attorneys recently authored a whitepaper that outlines the U.S. Supreme Court’s Clapper decision and the impact it may have on decisions related to standing in data breach suits.
- 1/14/2015Earlier this week, President Obama gave a speech at the FTC laying out an agenda on privacy and data security issues, and indicating that the topic is important enough to the administration that it will be included in his upcoming State of the Union address. Generally, the initiative’s goals include tackling identity theft, protecting the privacy of student data and working toward a general privacy “bill of rights” to provide comprehensive data and privacy protections.