- Duquesne University School of Law, J.D., 2007
- Ashland University, M.B.A., 2011, summa cum laude
- Grove City College, B.S., 2004, cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
- West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- Admitted to practice law only in the states listed above.
James (“Jay”) A. Carr II is a partner in the Columbus office and a member of the energy, finance and real estate group. His practice and experience span several areas, including oil and gas transactional matters, title review and due diligence, and litigation. He routinely prepares original title opinions and division order title opinions as well as assignments, amendments and ratifications, and releases of oil and gas leases for producers. He also litigates, or assists others in litigating, claims involving breach of an oil and gas lease, wrongful payment of royalties, and title to leasehold properties.
Jay received his B.S. cum laude in business management from Grove City College, his J.D. from Duquesne University, and his MBA summa cum laude from Ashland University. He is admitted to practice in the State Ohio, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the State of West Virginia as well as the United States District Courts for the Western District of Pennsylvania and Southern District of West Virginia.
Professional and Community Activities
- Columbus Bar Association, Member
- Columbus Bar Association Real Property Law Institute Planning Committee, Member, 2015 - Present
- Ohio State Bar Association, Real Property Law Section, Member
- Energy & Mineral Law Foundation, Member
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, Energy Law, 2021-2022
- The Best Lawyers in America Ones to Watch, Oil and Gas Law, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, Real Estate Law, 2021-2022
- 1/3/2022Vorys is pleased to announce that Jessica K. Baverman, James (Jay) A. Carr II, Andrew E. DeBord, Laura E. Erdman, Lauren L. Gilbert, Barbara J. Jordan, Mihsun Koh, Jeffrey A. Miller, Kara M. Mundy, Patrick J. Reardon, Michael J. Shoenfelt, Janay M. Stevens and Mitchell A. Tobias became partners of the law firm on January 1, 2022.
- 8/19/2021116 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America List; 34 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and sixteen lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2022 edition. In addition, 34 Vorys attorneys were named to the 2022 Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 8/20/2020112 Vorys Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America List; 26 Vorys Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers’ Inaugural “Ones to Watch” ListOne hundred and twelve lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America® 2021 edition. In addition, 26 Vorys attorneys were named to the inaugural Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch” list.
- 6/22/2022Jay Carr, a partner in the Vorys Columbus office, spoke at the Titles to Real Estate in Ohio CLE hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association on June 22, 2022.
- 2/7/2020Vorys Attorney Jay Carr spoke at the Columbus Bar Associations’ Real Property Law Institute on February 6 and 7, 2020.
- 10/4/2018On October 4, 2018, Vorys Associate James Carr spoke at the American Association of Professional Landmen’s 2018 Appalachian Land Institute in Washington, Pennsylvania.
- 11/17/2017Vorys Associate, Jay Carr presented at the Ohio State Bar Association’s 2017 Oil and Gas Update on November 17, 2017. Jay spoke on Ohio’s Marketable Title Act Post Corban.
- 5/23/2017Vorys attorneys Jay Carr and Michael Vennum were speakers at the 38th Annual Energy & Mineral Law Foundation Institute on May 23, 2017.
- 3/17/2017Vorys attorneys Jay Carr and Jacinto Nunez were speakers at the Akron Bar Association's Estate Planning, Elderlaw and Probate Law Section meeting on March 17, 2017.
- 12/12/2016Vorys attorneys Ilya Batikov, James Carr and Greg Russell were speakers at the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act Special Institute on December 12, 2016.
- 12/8/2016Vorys attorney James Carr was a speaker at the Oil and Gas Title Law A-Z webinar hosted by the National Business Institute on December 8, 2016.
- 11/18/2016Vorys attorneys James Carr and Greg Russell were speakers at the 2016 Oil and Gas Update hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association on November 18, 2016.
- 12/9/2015Vorys attorneys Ilya Batikov and James Carr presented a seminar titled “Ultimate Guide to Oil and Gas Title Law” hosted by the National Business Institute on December 9-10, 2015.
- 12/3/2015Vorys attorneys Ilya Batikov, James Carr and Peter Lusenhop were speakers at the Ultimate Guide to Oil and Gas Title Law hosted by the National Business Institute on December 3-4, 2015.
- 6/12/2014Vorys attorneys James Carr and Ilya Batikov were speakers at the Oil, Gas and Mineral Land Titles Seminar on June 12, 2014.
- 3/22/2013James A. Carr presented "A Practitioner’s Approach to Resolving Oil & Gas Issues in Ohio" in in Columbus, Ohio on March 22, 2013. This presentation highlighted the statutory remedies available to cure common title defects associated with oil and gas production.
- 3/17/2021Supreme Court of Ohio Further Clarifies Exception Under the Marketable Title Act in Erickson v. MorrisonOn March 16, 2021, the Supreme Court of Ohio expanded upon its prior decision in Blackstone v. Moore, 2018-Ohio-4959, once again addressing the exception under the Marketable Title Act, 5301.47, et seq. (the MTA), found in R.C. 5301.49(A).
- 3/11/2021On Wednesday, March 10th, the House passed the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, the third major federal COVID-19 relief act following the CARES Act and the December 2020 Consolidated Appropriations Act. President Biden is expected to sign it into law Friday.
- 12/27/2020Late on December 27, the President signed a $900 billion relief package that will provide aid to individuals and businesses still struggling with the economic impact of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Both the House and the Senate passed the proposal last week.
- 12/21/2020On December 17, 2020, the Supreme Court of Ohio addressed the surface owner’s due diligence obligations under the 2006 version of the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act (the 2006 DMA).
- 12/2/2020Oil and Gas Alert: Supreme Court of Ohio Rules on Applicability of Ohio Marketable Title Act to Severed Mineral InterestsOn December 2, 2020, the Supreme Court of Ohio held that the Ohio Marketable Title Act (OMTA) applies to severed mineral interests despite the enactment of the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act (ODMA).
- 12/14/2018On December 13, 2018, the Supreme Court of Ohio clarified the preservation of interests under the Ohio Marketable Title Act (OMTA).
- 9/26/2016Oil and Gas Alert: How to Successfully Comply with the Abandonment Procedure under the 2006 Ohio Dormant Mineral Act in the Wake of Corban v. Chesapeake Exploration, L.L.C., et al.On September 15, 2016, many oil and gas producers and surface owners of Ohio properties awoke to problematic news: the Supreme Court of Ohio, in Corban v. Chesapeake Exploration, L.L.C., et al., Slip Opinion No. 2016-Ohio-5796, held that the 1989 version of the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act (R.C. § 5301.56) (1989 DMA) was not self-executing (i.e., did not automatically abandon and vest dormant mineral interests in the surface owner of the property by operation of law).
- 9/15/2016Oil and Gas Alert: Supreme Court of Ohio Issues Sweeping Decision Interpreting the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act - Holds That 1989 DMA is Not Self-ExecutingOn September 15, 2016, the Supreme Court of Ohio issued numerous decisions concerning the application of the Ohio Dormant Mineral Act.
- 6/18/2015Oil and Gas Alert: The Supreme Court of Ohio Publishes its First Decision Analyzing the Ohio Dormant Mineral ActOn June 18, 2015, the Supreme Court of Ohio issued its first decision analyzing one aspect of the much contested Ohio Dormant Mineral Act.