52 East Gay Street
PO Box 1008
Columbus, OH 43216-1008
Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP takes pride in being a national law firm with a strong reputable brand and deep client relationships. This Legal Secretary position is a unique and exciting opportunity to be the first support staff employee in our Newport Beach, California office!
The Legal Secretary will perform a variety of secretarial duties for attorneys to whom assigned according to established policies and procedures. The Legal Secretary is assigned to assist several attorneys in a specific practice group and will support 5-9 attorneys. This position will be responsible for preparing practice-specific forms, updating electronic and paper files, preparing and filing court documents and e-filings, updating attorney calendars as needed and delegating work to appropriate departments and other tasks as assigned in a timely and accurate manner.
Essential Job Functions:
- Delegate attorney work to appropriate departments.
- Prepare practice-specific document, paper court filings and e-filings, and update electronic pleading/correspondence/closing folders.
- Screen telephone calls and take messages for attorneys when requested. Receive clients and visitors. Maintain good public relations with clients. Observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Read, sort and date incoming mail when requested. Ensure that outgoing mail is delivered timely and specify types of delivery.
- Schedule and calendar meetings and deadlines for attorneys.
- Assist other secretaries and attorneys in the practice group team as time permits and as requested by other attorneys, the Office Administrator or Human Resources.
- Review pro forma reports and make electronic revisions, when requested.
- Open new files, request conflict of interest checks, maintain client and general files, conduct periodic review of possible storage of older files, and prepare files to be closed.
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent spelling and proofreading skills
- Intermediate Microsoft Word skills
- Typing (45+ wpm)
- Effective delegation skills
- Knowledge of court filing procedures, including electronic filing
- Working knowledge of internet navigation
- Ability to organize, prioritize and produce quality work
- Ability to effectively multi-task
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written
- Adaptable to changing demands from multiple people
- Detail and deadline oriented
- Self-motivated and flexible in order to complete assignments in a timely manner
- Strong team-working abilities
Experience and Education:
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- 3 - 5 years of experience in supporting litigation and labor/employment attorneys
Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).