Human Resources Manager
52 East Gay Street
PO Box 1008
Columbus, OH 43216-1008
Vorys is looking for a marketing and business development leader with a proven track record of conceptualizing, creating and implementing initiatives to grow revenues within a professional services firm. The right candidate should possess relevant experience as well as grit, flexibility, and a hunger to support business growth.
The Senior Manager - Business Development uses creativity, intuition and industry knowledge to position, market and equip Vorys attorneys to grow revenues from new and existing clients. The Senior Manager leads business development and practice development initiatives for assigned practice groups, industries, and offices. This position works with the Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer (CMBDO), Practice Group Chairs, Subgroup Chairs and Office Managing Partners to prioritize, plan, implement, and assess new business and expansion initiatives. This includes generating growth opportunities for mature and well-established practices as well as creating and implementing acceleration initiatives for bourgeoning ones.
The Senior Manager, who reports directly to the CMBDO, is supported by a Practice Development Manager and Business Development Coordinators to help execute various tactics, including drafting successful pitches, proposals and RFP responses.
The Senior Manager also supports the firm’s client service initiatives. This includes the firm’s client service feedback and client relationship programs. With the CMBDO and the firm’s Talent Department, the Senior Manager provides business development and client service training to attorneys.
- Create business development and marketing strategies for assigned practice groups, offices and client teams, including long-term plan conception, communication, development and roll-out, budget creation and maintenance, research and coordination with other departments.
- Work with attorneys to develop individual business plans that cascade off group and office planning efforts.
- Work closely with the CMBDO to develop and implement initiatives aligned with the firm’s strategic plan and identified “practice opportunities.”
- Oversee and coordinate responses to RFPs and assist attorneys with pitch, proposal and presentation preparation by compiling information about industry-specific and practice-area specific expertise, representative work, relationships with key personnel and competitors.
- Manage assigned department personnel including work distribution, career development, training, project support and all personnel issues.
- Research market and industry trends, as well as perform client analysis to identify new business opportunities and build on existing ones.
- Contribute to the development and management of department and group-specific marketing budgets.
Education, Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in business, marketing or related field; MBA, JD or other advanced degrees are beneficial, but not required.
- 6-12 years of relevant experience. Professional services industry preferred.
- Ability to simultaneously assist multiple individuals of various levels with diverse needs and problems.
- Excellent customer service skills, including being highly responsive, informative and flexible.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully within a large partnership, including integrating well with existing teams and collaborating with partners.
- Proven experience installing demand-generation initiatives and reporting data-based ROI.
- Successful track record of achieving and exceeding key metrics and objectives.
- Superior attention to deadlines and details.
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written, and ability to build trusted internal and external networks.
- Experience leading successful client service programs, including client-feedback interviews, is preferred.
- Exceptional leadership skills, including the ability to motivate, coach and direct members of the Marketing and Business Development Department.
Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).