Chief Human Resources Officer
52 East Gay Street
PO Box 1008
Columbus, OH 43216-1008
Do you enjoy managing people, numbers, and projects? We are seeking an experienced and talented management professional to lead the administrative function of our busy Cincinnati office. This role serves as the leader of a team of 19 secretarial support staff and manages the operation of the facility along with the associated budgets and purchasing activities. The role requires: judgement, collaboration, multi-tasking ability, courage, a customer service mindset, communication and relationship building skills.
This office opened in 1984, and has grown to more than 75 attorneys as well as many paralegals, project assistants, and support staff and is now the second largest in our firm. Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is a successful and stable law firm with a 111 year history of growth. The Office Administrator will manage the day-to-day operation of the Cincinnati office and ensure efficient and economical use of resources. This includes coordination of office departments, supervision of support staff, management and control over purchasing, general accounting and facilities to ensure competent and efficient delivery of support services. The Office Administrator will act as mentor and coach to support staff and will serve as a liaison between the attorneys and the support staff.
The Office Administrator will manage the day-to-day operation of the Cincinnati office and ensure efficient and economical use of resources. This includes coordination of office departments, supervision of support staff, management and control over purchasing, general accounting and facilities to ensure competent and efficient delivery of support services. The Administrator will act as mentor and coach to support staff and will serve as a liaison between the attorneys and the support staff.
- Supervise and mentor all support staff. Make recommendations for process and performance improvement. Conduct meetings, monitor existing policies and procedures and continued development through education and training. Resolve workload, pairing and employee issues. Partner with Practice Group heads within the Cincinnati Office to ensure administrative needs are being met and that formalized processes are in place, being communicated and followed.
- Partner with Managing Partner and/or his designee(s) to review expenses and discuss firm initiatives.
- Set annual objectives for support staff and complete performance reviews. Manage and report results from attorneys and paralegals. Provide final reports relating to all staff performance to the Chief Human Resources Officer and the Personnel Committee.
- Coordinate and maintain monthly parking records for all employees with Payroll Department. Process invoices for payment of monthly parking to management companies.
- Prepare annual budget for Cincinnati Office and monitor monthly G/L reports. Administration of Chrome River activities on a local level. Includes review of check and expense reimbursement requests for appropriate back-up. Act in back-up capacity to Columbus accounting and/or Cleveland/Akron offices when short-handed. Export approved items from Chrome River into Elite. Cut checks, obtain signatures from approved signatories and distribute to requesting parties. Provide guidance to secretaries and staff on the use of general ledger accounts and proper posting of expenses.
- Conduct new hire orientation and coordinate on-boarding activities for all Cincinnati new hires. Ensure paperwork correctly completed and forwarded to appropriate parties in Columbus.
- Partner with Chief Human Resources Officer to determine the need for and timing of formal discipline of all staff employees. Prepare disciplinary action notices and review with the employee.
- Direct the maintenance and/or construction of physical premises including space planning, furnishings, equipment etc. Orchestrate office moves and selections. Direct and oversee office projects. Manage and coordinate firm-wide implementation of system upgrades or objectives that affect office activities and personnel.
- Serve as liaison between Cincinnati and Columbus office on all department matters, including Human Resources, Accounting, Billing, IT and Business Development. Manage, facilitate and oversee special projects as needed. Plan miscellaneous firm functions or other special or annual events.
- Participate in monthly meetings with Office Services management team to review monthly workload and projects. Maintain communication with site leader to ensure efficient performance of Office Services team.
Knowledge and Skills
- Proficiency in most Microsoft applications such as Word and Excel
- Strong working knowledge of financial and accounting practices, HR procedures, policies and state/federal laws
- Project Management knowledge
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the Firm, both verbal and written
- Detail and deadline oriented
- Excellent decision making skills
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent analytical, listening, supervisory and coaching skills
- Advanced prioritization skills
- Customer service focused
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in related discipline or combination of equivalent education and experience
- 5-7 years of experience in similar field
- Prior law firm administration experience preferred
- CLM, SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP, or PHR/SPHR preferred
Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).