Human Resources Generalist
52 East Gay Street
PO Box 1008
Columbus, OH 43216-1008
The Legal Secretary will perform a variety of secretarial and clerical duties for attorneys to whom assigned according to established policies and procedures. The Legal Secretary is typically assigned to assist several attorneys. This position will draft and transcribe correspondence, pleadings, and memoranda; update electronic and paper pleading clips; enter daily time entries; prepare court filings and e-filings; scan documents to PDF; making and revising travel arrangements; and other clerical and administrative tasks as assigned in a timely and accurate manner.
Essential Job Functions:
- Transcribe dictation as needed. Prepare correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents from written and oral drafts, and other documents.
- Perform scanning of documents to PDF; convert Word documents to PDF; prepare court filings, e-filings and electronic or paper pleading clips as required.
- Screen telephone calls and take messages for attorneys and paralegals. Receive clients and visitors. Maintain good public relations with clients. Observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Read, sort and date incoming mail. Ensure that outgoing mail is delivered timely and specify types of delivery.
- Perform time entry and calendaring for attorneys and paralegals.
- Assist other secretaries as time permits and as requested by other attorneys or the Training & Secretarial Manager.
- Open new files, request conflict of interest checks, maintain client and general files, conduct periodic review of possible storage of older files and prepare files to be closed.
- Make travel arrangements and prepare expense reports for attorneys. Enter invoices into Chrome River for payment.
- Review bills and prepare cover letters for bills sent to clients.
- Perform miscellaneous filing and clerical tasks.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent spelling and proofreading skills
- Intermediate Microsoft Word skills
- Typing (50+ wpm)
- Transcription skills
- Knowledge of court filing procedure, including electronic filing
- Working knowledge of internet navigation
- Ability to organize, prioritize and produce quality work
- Ability to effectively multi-task
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written
- Adaptable to changing demands from multiple people
- Detail and deadline oriented
- Self-motivated and flexible in order to complete assignments in a timely manner
Experience and Education:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- 3-5 years of litigation support experience in a law firm required.
- IP experience preferred but not required.
Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).