Bobbi J. Shoemaker
Legal Recruiting Coordinator
52 East Gay Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Job Summary & Objectives
A Scientific Advisor or Patent Agent supports the Firm’s patent prosecution practice, leveraging technical expertise to assist the Firm’s clients in protecting their technology with patents. The Scientific Advisor or Patent Agent will work under the supervision of a licensed patent attorney to draft patent applications and prosecute applications through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office as well as manage international prosecution of patent applications. This entry-level role supports client innovation efforts through active participation in the preparation of patent specifications, including drafting of claims. The Scientific Advisor or Patent Agent will assist attorneys in the writing of scientific and technical documents clearly and concisely, conducting legal and technical research using all available resources in support of various patent-related matters. A Scientific Advisor has not passed the patent agent examination, but has technical knowledge and expertise. A Patent Agent will have passed the patent agent examination.
- Draft patent applications and prosecute applications through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Responsible for managing multiple matters simultaneously with various deadlines while maintaining a calendar to meet due dates established by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and/or clients.
- Advise and communicate regularly with supervising attorney regarding the status of their client matters.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred. Technical areas most preferred are chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, polymer chemistry/science, and the like.
- Patent Agent registration if applying as a patent agent.
- Technical background and experience in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, polymer chemistry/science, and the like.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent language and grammar skills, and ability to write scientific documents clearly and concisely.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to conduct complex and detailed analysis of patent-related matters.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly organized, with strong attention to detail, with ability to handle multiple deadlines and adhere to due dates.
- Flexible and willing to work beyond the standard 40-hour workweek.
- Demonstrates proficiency, skills and knowledge of the position as well as a commitment to continuous improvement and development.
- Excellent proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time, type and handle light lifting.
All responses should be in writing, and should include a cover letter, resume and transcript (no phone inquiries please).
Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer (EOE)