Human Resources Generalist
52 East Gay Street
PO Box 1008
Columbus, OH 43216-1008
The Legal Secretary will perform a variety of secretarial and clerical duties for attorneys to whom assigned according to established policies and procedures. The Legal Secretary is typically assigned to assist several attorneys and/or paralegals. This position will complete correspondence, pleadings, including electronic pleading clips, time entries, court e-filings, PDF scanning of documents, travel arrangements and other clerical tasks as needed in a timely and accurate manner.
Essential Job Functions:
- Operate computer and transcribe dictation as needed. Prepare correspondence, memoranda and other legal documents from written and oral drafts, standard correspondence and other documents.
- Perform PDF scanning of documents, court e-filings and electronic pleading clips as required.
- Screen telephone calls and take messages for attorneys and paralegals. Receive clients and visitors. Maintain good public relations with clients. Observe confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Read, sort and date incoming mail. Ensure that outgoing mail is delivered timely and specify types of delivery.
- Perform time entry and calendaring for attorneys and paralegals.
- Review bills and prepare cover letters for bills sent to clients.
- Open new files, requests conflict of interest checks, maintain client and general file, conduct periodic review of possible storage of older files and prepare files to be closed.
- Assist other secretaries as time permits and as requested by other attorneys or Office Administrator.
- Make travel arrangements and prepare expense reports for attorneys. Enter invoices into Chrome River for payment.
- Perform miscellaneous filing and clerical tasks.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent spelling and proofreading skills
- Intermediate Microsoft Word skills
- Typing (50+ wpm)
- Dictaphone skills
- Knowledge of court filing procedure, including electronic filing
- Working knowledge of internet navigation
- Ability to organize, prioritize and produce quality work
- Ability to effectively multi-task
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written
- Adaptable to changing demands from multiple people
- Detail and deadline oriented
- Self-motivated and flexible in order to complete assignments in a timely manner
Experience and Education:
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- 3-5 years of experience in similar field required
- 3+ years of previous law firm experience in Intellectual Property (IP) required.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).