- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights
- Financial Institutions
- Real Estate
- The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, J.D., 1990
- Ohio Northern University, B.A., 1987
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- The Honorable Donald E. Calhoun, Jr. for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 2000-2003
Brenda is of counsel in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the finance, energy and real estate group. Her legal work has focused on collection, foreclosure, insolvency, bankruptcy, receivership representation and litigation.
Career highlights include:
- Acting as counsel for Receiver in SEC v. One Equity, in which the estimated estate value was more than $20 million, and the matter involved commercial litigation, turnover proceedings, and liquidation of American Depository Shares for a Chinese company. The United States District Court approved distributions of more than $3.5 million to allowed unsecured creditors (a return of 34 percent).
- Representing the Trustee, Myron Terlecky, in recovering more than $2 million for the estate and prosecuting adversary proceedings for claims in excess of $8 million in the Dublin Securities matter
- Acting as counsel for Receiver in Belfor U.S.A. vs. Woodland Meadows where the estimated estate value is $4.5 million and real estate assets were sold to the City of Columbus
- Acting as local counsel for Debtor in Chapter 11 proceeding of Techneglas, Inc., a subsidiary of Nippon Electric Glass Co., Ltd., a Japanese company, that involved liquidation of over $37 million of assets, union and PBGC negotiations, and claims in excess of $300 million
- Acting as counsel for Chapter 7 panel trustees on a regular basis
Brenda is a member of American Bar Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute, International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC), the Ohio State Bar Association, the Columbus Bar Association, and Central Ohio IWIRC Network.
Brenda has lectured on bankruptcy and insolvency, collection, foreclosure and receivership topics at various seminars.
Brenda received her J.D. from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law and her B.A. from Ohio Northern University.
Brenda was a law clerk to the Honorable Donald E. Calhoun, Jr. for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio.
Professional and Community Activities
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio Attorney Advisory Committee, Member, 2017-present
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Program Coordinator, Mentorship Program, 2006-2010
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Membership Director (IWIRC), 2004-2006
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Programs Director, 2001-2004
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Central Ohio IWIRC Network, Chairman and Newsletter Editor, 1998-2001
- Columbus Bar Association, Bankruptcy Committee, Chairman, 2006-2008; Judicial Liaison Committee, Chairman, 2008-2010; Pro Bono Committee, 2013-present
- Capital University Law School, Adjunct Professor of Bankruptcy, 2010
- Care Volunteer – providing instruction to high school students related to financial decisions, budgets, and credit issues, 2010-2014
Honors & Awards
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2014, 2017-2018
- Fellow of the Columbus Bar Foundation since 2003
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- 3/28/2017This year, 54 Vorys attorneys were listed in the 2017 Columbus CEO “Top Lawyers” List.
- 1/20/2015In December 2014, Ohio Governor John Kasich signed into law Substitute House Bill No. 9, which significantly revises Ohio’s law of Receiverships. Vorys released a comprehensive analysis of the amended law.
- 7/1/2019Vorys was proud to host a complimentary webinar series titled “A Banker’s Guide to a Successful Commercial Loan Workout.” Attorneys Brenda Bowers, Carrie Brosius and Marcel Duhamel presented the third webinar, titled “Exercising Rights and Remedies” on July 1, 2019.
- 5/4/2018Vorys Of Counsel Brenda Bowers spoke at the 2018 Bankruptcy Law Institute hosted by the Columbus Bar Association on May 4, 2018.
- 5/5/2016Vorys attorney Brenda Bowers was a speaker at the 2016 Bankruptcy Law Institute hosted by the Columbus Bar Association on May 5, 2016.
- 12/10/2015Vorys attorney Brenda Bowers was a speaker at the 23rd Annual Bradley J. Schaeffer Real Property Institute hosted by the Ohio State Bar Association on December 10, 2015.
- 9/16/2015Vorys attorney Brenda Bowers was a speaker at Boot Camp: Foreclosure and Loan Workout Procedures hosted by the National Business Institute on September 16, 2015.
- 11/10/2014Vorys attorney Brenda Bowers presented at the Bankruptcy: New Rules and Latest Issues Affecting Your Practice seminar hosted by the National Business Institute on November 10, 2014.
- 8/23/2013Vorys attorney Brenda Bowers spoke at the Ohio Receivables Management Association’s 2013 Annual Convention on August 23, 2013. She facilitated a group discussion titled Is a Debt Collector Hounding You? Threaten to Sue!
- 12/11/2012Vorys attorney Brenda Bowers will be presenting at the Advanced Issues in Real Estate Law hosted by the National Business Institute taking place on December 11, 2012.
- 12/11/2012Vorys of counsel Brenda Bowers presented at the Advanced Issues in Real Estate Law Seminar that took place Tuesday, December 11, 2012.
- 10/11/2012Vorys attorneys Brenda Bowers and Jeffrey Marks participated in the 2012 Ohio Bench Bar Conference on October 11.
- 3/7/2019Client Alert: Sixth Circuit Holds in Nicole Gas that Baker Botts Does Not Apply to Contempt SanctionsThe Sixth Circuit recently held that Baker Botts, L.L.P. v. ASARCO, L.L.C., 135 S. Ct. 2158 (2015) does not apply to contempt sanctions.
- Winter 2017Complications with Customer Communications in Context of Credit Conveyances (a/k/a Problems with Notices to Borrowers in Default or Bankruptcy When Loans or Servicing are Transferred)If your bank is in the process of a merger or has agreed to buy or sell a portfolio of mortgage loans, notices must be provided to the borrowers before and after the transaction closes.
- 9/27/2016Client Alert: Foreclosure Reform in Ohio is Here - Expediting, Modernizing, and Unifying the Foreclosure Process and Battling Community BlightHouse Bill 390 (HB 390)is effective on September 28, 2016. The foreclosure reform included in HB 390 impacts both residential and commercial property foreclosures.
- 6/10/2016The Bankruptcy Judges and Chapter 13 Trustees for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio have reviewed and approved a proposed District Wide Mandatory Form Chapter 13 Plan and proposed form Order Confirming Chapter 13 Plan and Awarding Attorney Fees.
- 11/25/2015Client Alert: Effective December 1, 2015, Most Official Bankruptcy Forms will be Replaced with Revised, Reformatted and Renumbered Versions; New Official Forms will be Required in All Bankruptcy CasesAs part of a modernization project that was begun by the Advisory Committee on Bankruptcy Rules in 2008, most of the Official Bankruptcy Forms will be replaced with substantially revised, renumbered and reformatted versions, effective December 1, 2015.
- 1/20/2015In December 2014, Ohio Governor John Kasich signed into law Substitute House Bill No. 9, which significantly revises Ohio’s law of Receiverships. Vorys today released a comprehensive analysis of the amended law. Key features of the amendments are summarized below.
- Winter 2014The Status, Issues and Relevant Ongoing Questions Related to DOMA Same-Sex Marriages, Secured Lending Transactions and Related Collection Issues in OhioWhen bankers see news reports about the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), Ohio’s Marriage Amendment and recent court cases involving same-sex marriages, they probably think in terms of constitutional, health care, employment and domestic issues.
- Spring 2014Brenda K. Bowers, of counsel in the Columbus office, authored this article on Ohio House Bill — The Ohio Legacy Trust Act and Due Diligence Concerns for the Spring 2014 issue of The Bankers' Statement.