Mr. Wilson is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation practice group. He represents clients in a wide variety of antitrust matters, including criminal investigations and trials, civil actions and Hart-Scott-Rodino investigations. Mr. Wilson has represented more than a dozen individuals in antitrust criminal investigations during the last five years, including a number of foreign nationals. He has experience trying both criminal and civil antitrust matters, as well as other complex business litigation, including class actions.
Career highlights include:
- Representing a major food processor in defending multi-district price-fixing claims
- Representing a major technology firm in defending monopolization claims
- Representing a national collegiate sports association in a case challenging rules governing men's Division 1 college basketball
- Representing a number of individuals in criminal antitrust investigations
- Representing a major manufacturer in an antitrust investigation of multiple acquisitions it made
Mr. Wilson is a member of the American Bar Association, and a past Chair of the ABA's Section of Antitrust Law. In addition, he is a member the Ohio State Bar Association.
Mr. Wilson teaches antitrust as an adjunct professor at the Moritz College of Law, The Ohio State University. He also has presented seminars on various topics including the Class Action Fairness Act, antitrust litigation, effective opening statements in an antitrust case, and current antitrust enforcement policy.
Mr. Wilson received his J.D. from Columbia University School of Law where he was member of the Columbia Journal of Law and Social Problems and served as its Managing Editor. Mr. Wilson received his A.B. magna cum laude from Miami University where he was Phi Beta Kappa.
Mr. Wilson clerked for The Honorable Walter H. Rice of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.
Professional and Community Activities
- American Bar Association Antitrust Section, Immediate Past Chair, 2009-2010; Chair, 2008-2009; Chair Elect, 2007-2008; Vice-chair, 2006-2007; International Cartel Task Force, 2005-2007; Section Delegate, 2004-2006; Publications Officer, 2002-2004; Section Council, 1999-2002
- BNA Antitrust & Trade Regulation Reports, Advisory Board, 2010-present
- Adjunct Professor, Moritz College of Law, The Ohio State University (2010-present)
- Ohio Historical Society, Board of Trustees, 2011-present
Honors & Awards
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers and Economists, 2009-2012
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Litigation: Antitrust, 2007-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Antitrust, 2008-2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Antitrust, 2013
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2013
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation since 2006
- Thirty-nine Vorys Attorneys included in 2013 Chambers USA Guide
- 126 Vorys Attorneys included in the 2013 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- Thirty-five Vorys Attorneys Listed in 2012 Edition of Chambers USA
- 75 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2012 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- More than 100 Vorys Attorneys named on 2012 The Best Lawyers in America® List
- 26 Vorys Attorneys Featured in 2011 Edition of Chambers USA
- 72 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2011 Ohio Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Wilson Quoted in USA Today Article "States Try to Counter Supreme Court's Minimum-Price Ruling"
- Wilson Quoted in Competition Law360 Article "Antitrust Policy to Face Scrutiny Post-Election"
- Vorys Prevails in Price-Fixing Case
- Vorys Ranked #1 Law Firm in Ohio on 2011 Best Lawyers in America® list
- 27 Attorneys Recognized in 2010 Chambers USA
- 27 Vorys Attorneys Recognized in 2010 Chambers USA
- Wilson Quoted in Competition Law360 Article "Top Antitrust Deals in '09 Have Enforcement Tie"
- Wilson Quoted in Competition Law360 Article "Antitrust Litigation Recedes from Peak in 2009"
- 54 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2010 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Vorys ranked #1 law firm in Ohio on 2010 Best Lawyers in America® list
- Wilson quoted in "Prisoner's Dilemma," appearing in Forbes Magazine
- Wilson quoted in PC World article "EBay, Others Want End to Retail Price-fixing"
- Wilson quoted in Competition Law360 article "Varney Signals Tough Stance on Monopoly Rules"
- Capital Law presentation to feature chair of ABA's Section on Antitrust Law
- Wilson quoted extensively in "ABA Antitrust Spring Meeting Ends With Enforcers' Views on Challenges"
- Wilson quoted extensively in "ABA Chair's Showcase Probes Effects of Faltering Economy on Enforcement"
- Wilson discusses Federal Trade Commission priorities on market manipulation, OPEC
- Wilson quoted in The National Law Journal article "FTC Ruling A Warning To Trade Groups: Rare Consent Order A Wake-Up Call To Upgrade Compliance Practices"
- 27 Vorys Attorneys Recognized in 2009 Chambers USA
- 70 Vorys Attorneys Recognized as 2009 Ohio Super Lawyers
- Wilson quoted in Competition Law360 article "Competition Cases to Watch in 2009"
- Wilson quoted in The National Law Journal article "Scrutiny of Mergers May Increase Under Obama Administration"
- Jim Wilson discusses upcoming changes in antitrust law on "Focus Washington" with Chuck Conconi
- Vorys Attorneys Named on 2009 Best Lawyers in America List
- 28 Vorys Attorneys Named Leading Practitioners in Ohio
- Vorys named the "2008 Leading Ohio Law Firm" by Best Lawyers
- 28 Vorys Attorneys Named Leading Lawyers for Business by Chambers USA
- American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting
- "Most Favored Nation" Clauses in Health Care: What is All the Fuss About?
- Antitrust Law 2010 Spring Meeting
- International Cartel Workshop
- Current Issues in Commercial Law and Litigation
- The Financial Crisis: New Administration Initiatives and How Practitioners Should Advise Clients as a Result
State Antitrust Law, BNA Corporate Practice Series Portfolio No. 52-3rd (2010)
Extradition: The New Sword or the Mouse that Roared?, The Antitrust Source, April 2011.
"The Challenges of Antitrust Enforcement in the New Administration: One Practitioner's View," Competition Law International, Vol. 6, No. 1 (Spring 2010)
Testimony before the U.S. Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights on behalf of the American Bar Association relative to the Discount Pricing Consumer Protection Act, May 19, 2009
Spring 2009 Antitrust Section Chair's Letter, ABA Antitrust Magazine
Fall 2008 Antitrust Section Chair's Letter, ABA Antitrust Magazine
"A new president will bring changes to the practice," The National Law Journal, August 4, 2008.
- Client Alert: The Akzo Nobel Decision: A Warning to the Unwary
- "First Do No Harm: The Discount Protection Consumer Protection Act and the Potential Procompetitive Effects of Resale Price Management"
- James A. Wilson's testimony on behalf of the American Bar Association relative to the Discount Pricing Consumer Protection Act