- Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property, Entertainment, and Technology Protection
- Antitrust and Trade Regulation Litigation
- Business and Commercial
- Class Actions
- Constitutional Law and Media
- Corporate Takeovers and Changes of Control
- Health Care Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D., 1985
Columbia Journal of Law and Social Problems, Managing Editor, 1984-1985
- Miami University, A.B., 1982, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- The Honorable Walter H. Rice, United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 1985-1987
Jim is a partner in the Vorys Columbus office and a member of the litigation practice group. He represents clients in a wide variety of antitrust matters, including criminal investigations and trials, civil actions and Hart-Scott-Rodino investigations. Jim has represented more than a dozen individuals in antitrust criminal investigations during the last five years, including a number of foreign nationals. He has experience trying both criminal and civil antitrust matters, as well as other complex business litigation, including class actions.
Career highlights include:
- Representing a major food processor in defending multi-district price-fixing claims
- Representing a major technology firm in defending monopolization claims
- Representing a national collegiate sports association in a case challenging rules governing men's Division 1 college basketball
- Representing a number of individuals in criminal antitrust investigations
- Representing a major manufacturer in an antitrust investigation of multiple acquisitions it made
Jim is a member of the American Bar Association and a past Chair of the ABA's Section of Antitrust Law. In addition, he is a member the Ohio State Bar Association.
Jim teaches antitrust as an adjunct professor at The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law. He also has presented seminars on various topics, including the Class Action Fairness Act, antitrust litigation, effective opening statements in an antitrust case and current antitrust enforcement policy.
Jim received his J.D. from Columbia University School of Law where he was member of the Columbia Journal of Law and Social Problems and served as its Managing Editor. Jim received his A.B. magna cum laude from Miami University, where he was Phi Beta Kappa.
Jim clerked for The Honorable Walter H. Rice of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.
Professional and Community Activities
- American Bar Association Antitrust Section, Immediate Past Chair, 2009-2010; Chair, 2008-2009; Chair Elect, 2007-2008; Vice-chair, 2006-2007; International Cartel Task Force, 2005-2007; Section Delegate, 2004-2006; Publications Officer, 2002-2004; Section Council, 1999-2002
- BNA Antitrust & Trade Regulation Reports, Advisory Board, 2010-present
- Adjunct Professor, Moritz College of Law, The Ohio State University, 2010-2012
- Ohio Historical Society, Board of Trustees, 2011-present
Honors & Awards
- The Best Lawyers of America, Columbus Antitrust "Lawyer of the Year," 2015
- The Best Lawyers of America, Columbus Litigation - Antitrust "Lawyer of the Year," 2014
- Who's Who Legal: The International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers and Economists, 2009-2014
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Lawyer in Litigation: Antitrust, 2007-2014
- The Best Lawyers in America, Antitrust, 2008-2015
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Antitrust, 2013-2015
- Columbus CEO, Top Lawyers in Columbus, 2010-2014
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation since 2006
- 8/18/2014One-hundred and ten lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015.
- 8/18/2014Seven Vorys attorneys have been named 2015 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers. Each year, only a single lawyer in each specialty in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year.”
- 5/23/2014Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2014 edition of Chambers USA.
- 8/14/2013One hundred and eleven lawyers from Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014.
- 8/14/2013Ten Vorys attorneys from three offices have been named 2014 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers. Each year, only a single lawyer in each specialty in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year.”
- 5/24/2013Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease is pleased to announce that 39 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2013 edition of Chambers USA. Chambers USA conducts in-depth research and ranks the leading firms and attorneys in an extensive range of practice areas throughout America.
- 8/23/2012One hundred and twenty-six lawyers from Vorys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
- 6/7/2012Vorys announced that 35 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized among the leading practitioners in the country in the 2012 edition of Chambers USA.
- April 2011
- Spring 2009
- Fall 2008